Pereira
(07-06-2020, 12:45 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 10:25 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 06:26 PM)baggie_ray Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 05:34 PM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote: I think it's safe to say he's the best player to wear the stripes since the late, great Laurie Cunningham.

That's a big statement considering we're playing in a tupenny ha'penny league. Let's see how he does in the Prem before placing him in the hall of fame.

Remember Koumas was untouchable in this league, but very ordinary one level higher.

WUM ALERT!!!!

Its true, Swag.

How brilliant did Dorrans look 10 years ago in the second tier?

Pereira looks a class above, but when he makes the PFA team  or lands at a top 4 club can you reach a conclusion.

Glad he is ours, though  Big Grin
I'm delighted he's ours. He looks like a prem player.
Last season Grealish looked great in the championship. The season before so did Neves.
Both have done ok, but nothing more.
Dorrans, as KKC says.
And Koumas was for me the biggest letdown of all.
Great player at this level. Never made it in the prem.

We've had plenty of excellent top level players. We all think Pereira can become another. But he's got to prove it . Next season I hope.
(07-06-2020, 07:29 AM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 05:34 PM)Bromley Baggie 2 Wrote: I think it's safe to say he's the best player to wear the stripes since the late, great Laurie Cunningham.

That's a big statement considering we're playing in a tupenny ha'penny league. Let's see how he does in the Prem before placing him in the hall of fame.

Remember Koumas was untouchable in this league, but very ordinary one level higher.

WUM ALERT!!!!

Its true, Swag.

Pereira looks a class above, but when he makes the PFA team  or lands at a top 4 club can you reach a conclusion.

Last season Grealish looked great in the championship. The season before so did Neves.
Dorrans, as KKC says.

We've had plenty of excellent top level players. We all think Pereira can become another. But he's got to prove it . Next season I hope.

Koumas had a lot of personal issues that stopped him from achieving his potential I’d say. If his head was in the right place I reckon he could have gone much further.
(07-06-2020, 07:29 AM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote: I'm delighted he's ours. He looks like a prem player.
Dorrans, as KKC says.

Neves runs the show every week for a team competing to get into the Champions League. Grealish falls over a lot in a team that gets battered most weeks.
(07-06-2020, 07:32 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(07-05-2020, 06:26 PM)baggie_ray Wrote: That's a big statement considering we're playing in a tupenny ha'penny league. Let's see how he does in the Prem before placing him in the hall of fame.

WUM ALERT!!!!

Its true, Swag.

Dorrans, as KKC says.

Koumas had a lot of personal issues that stopped him from achieving his potential I’d say. If his head was in the right place I reckon he could have gone much further.

As did Dorrans

WUM ALERT!!!!

Its true, Swag.

Dorrans, as KKC says.

That is unfair on Koumas.  In a very poor side first time back up in years in the "Premiership", when Koumas played he was quality - that win we got against Middlesbrough he was brilliant and he scored several goals in other games, every one top quality.  His thinking was too quick for our players at times as well.   Seems to me a lot of people forget that.  He really was very, very talented player but had he been able to focus he would have made the grade at Liverpool and we would not have seen him.
You'd think Periera would actually be a player that thrives when he reaches the top levels (with or without Albion). Seems to enjoy a bit of needle with the opposition but will be afford less crunching tackles and more space either because of superior team mates or the fact Albion won't be trying to breakdown two banks of defenders.
Did anyone see Graeme Souness have his say on Grealish yersterday. Basically said he wasn't good enough for a top team. He reckoned he gets fouled so often because he holds on to the ball too long and doesn't have the vision to play a pass earlier. Also hinted that he stands around with his hands on his hips when the opposition have the ball (which must have been 80% of the season!!)

Can imagine the Villa fans frothing at the mouth listening to him ripping their hero apart.
(07-06-2020, 10:03 AM)baggiebuckster Wrote: Did anyone see Graeme Souness have his say on Grealish yersterday. Basically said he wasn't good enough for a top team. He reckoned he gets fouled so often because he holds on to the ball too long and doesn't have the vision to play a pass earlier. Also hinted that he stands around with his hands on his hips when the opposition have the ball (which must have been 80% of the season!!)

Can imagine the Villa fans frothing at the mouth listening to him ripping their hero apart.

He's a absolutely spot on in some respects. If the best stat you have is top person fouled then you're not a top player. Was Lampard the most fouled ? No. He picked a pass kept the ball moving and scored goals. In some respects a more limited player - just shows how overrated that greasy haired fish eater is.
Mooching on H&V there's a couple that seem to see sense. "he's got a trick and can wriggle out of tight situations but he slows the game down and gives the opposition time to organise" Correct. Jonno Greening used to like to turn his man 3 times before playing the ball as well, there weren't many clamouring for an England cap for him!

In no universe would I swap Pereira for him - 100% a more effective player in terms of getting the ball in the net.
(07-06-2020, 10:08 AM)billybassett Wrote:
(07-06-2020, 10:03 AM)baggiebuckster Wrote: Did anyone see Graeme Souness have his say on Grealish yersterday. Basically said he wasn't good enough for a top team. He reckoned he gets fouled so often because he holds on to the ball too long and doesn't have the vision to play a pass earlier. Also hinted that he stands around with his hands on his hips when the opposition have the ball (which must have been 80% of the season!!)

He's a absolutely spot on in some respects. If the best stat you have is top person fouled then you're not a top player. Was Lampard the most fouled ? No. He picked a pass kept the ball moving and scored goals. In some respects a more limited player - just shows how overrated that greasy haired fish eater is.
In a team like Villa, with Anichebe- esque strikers, Wesley, Trezeguet etc, falling over to get a free kick may be the best option.