Schools
(06-11-2020, 04:49 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 12:37 PM)The liquidator Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 11:53 AM)igorbalis Wrote:
(06-10-2020, 08:30 AM)Protheroe Wrote: It takes a lot to wind Mrs P up, but she's livid that she can take P-Minor to Merry Hill, a garden centre, a BLM march and quite possibly soon out for a pub lunch when she still can't go to school. It's a fucking joke. All kids should be back now.

this^

how many children have actually contracted and died of Corona virus during this pandemic? how many teachers are their over 55 i.e high risk, not very many - I'm no expert but the risk of spreading the virus by opening schools is minimal - it's laughable.

You think if even one dies its worth  it ?

Oh Jesus, YES! Do you have any idea how much more likely a child is to die in a road accident on the way to / from school than from this?

(06-11-2020, 12:36 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Amazing how many right wing commentators and supporters are now so concerned about the welfare of the most disadvantaged. We’ve had ten years or more of austerity, shutting down of libraries, youth centres, lack of funding for transport for kids, schools, charities funding cut etc and it was never an issue, in fact it was welcome. Suddenly the welfare of them is of course paramount in their concerns...

Worra load of beep!

Don't be a twat Derek.

Speaking as a sink comp / polytechnic educated working class white boy, the right of politics (epitomised by Dear Margaret) is all about raising kids out of the pit of disadvantaged circumstances by providing the ladder of education. The left is about chucking money in the pit and keeping them there as the future client vote.

The left doesn't own disadvantaged Britain. It traps them, it attempts to subjugate them permanently.

This is a wonderful example of hyperbole and I suspect you are indulging yourself in a spot of winding up the lefties.

If you are being serious you might care to ask the question, given that in the last 40 years for every 1 year of Labour Govt there has been 2 years of Conservative Govt, why disadvantage still exists to the extent it does.

It really is fanciful to suggest that Labour politicians come into politics with the prime objective of not improving the living standards of the citizens of this country. And although I am not currently a Labour voter, Labour Governments have taken decisions which have improved the living standards of some of the most disadvantaged. For example introducing the minimum wage, Sure Starts.

Take the deputy leader of the Labour Party, a teenage mum with little in the way of academic qualifications, engaged with the Sure Start Programme and was able to rise out of the 'pit of disadvantaged circumstances' (your phrase not mine) to become one of the more senior current politicians. Not trapped, not subjugated.
I know this has ended at a historical political argument but there should be absolutely no scenario under the sun being considered where there isn't a full return to school in September.

My view is they should all be back now. For a few reasons: a) the stats, b) if everyone going back to school does lead to a secondary spike (and I'm wholly of the opinion that second wave will not happen - this is second wave) then we can act in June/July rather than shut the whole thing off again in October.

It's madness to be seeing tens of thousands protesting together and a range of shops and centres open when the schools are shut
If they can't get the kids back to school by September we may as well close the country down forever if we're not already headed that way anyway.
What staggers me is the constant shots of teachers using measuring tapes to work out distances in
Class rooms, if these educators are unable to gauge 2M between CHAIRS not tables then i worry  about
Them educating my grandchildren 

Or is this just a stunt set up for the cameras?
TBF the 2 meter rule needs to go. If France, a country that have taken this far more seriously than we have, can get by on 1 meter then so can we. Some times I think the government are loving this situation and just want to drag it on.
(06-12-2020, 07:57 AM)PeakBaggie Wrote: What staggers me is the constant shots of teachers using measuring tapes to work out distances in
Class rooms, if these educators are unable to gauge 2M between CHAIRS not tables then i worry  about
Them educating my grandchildren 

Or is this just a stunt set up for the cameras?

Schools aren’t setting the guidelines they are trying to adhere to them in classrooms not big enough to accommodate the two metre rule. Schools don’t have enough staff to be in two classes at once so what are they supposed to do? They have neither the space or staffing to adhere to the rules set by government? 

TV crews in my experience set out how they want to tell the story and most of the time schools or whoever go along with their suggestions. So the measuring tape etc will be a request I imagine from the reporter / producer to help tell the story. 

Last thing this isn’t just about the kids it’s about being cautious with regards to others the little germ factories come into contact with. At the moment there are encouraging signs that they may not pass the virus in but this isn’t confirmed.
(06-11-2020, 07:44 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: This is a wonderful example of hyperbole and I suspect you are indulging yourself in a spot of winding up the lefties.....

...For example introducing the minimum wage, Sure Starts.

WUM? Moi?

You'll note that the Tory government has raised the Minimum Wage to the highest level ever. Sure Start was rightly closed as it became essentially a talking shop for chattering middle class mothers (like Mrs P). Hardly anyone from the target communities attended. A complete waste of money, even allowing for Kneeling Angela Rayner.
Wow, the amount of uniformed comments regarding this topic is unreal. Schools are not the problem, nor teachers, we are desperate for the kids to come back and start to repair the damage done. And by the way if anyone thinks it will just be business as usually when they do return will be mistaken. There will be many sessions needed on mental health over this as some kids will not have seen anyone for months, so people who think we can just take off from where we left off please understand this. Schools are following the guidelines put in place by the government but yet we are painted the bad guys as we dont want to go back to work. Moving forward i agree we need normality as best we can by Sept but unless the rule changes we will be stuck. We may have to run extended days or even Saturday schools but how that will work regarding salaries is anyone guess as the government will not cough up. I certainly would want some form of compensation working longer hours ect, and before anyone suggests we just do it, I have been working non stop from home since March, we have not been furloughed.
(06-13-2020, 12:21 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 07:44 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: This is a wonderful example of hyperbole and I suspect you are indulging yourself in a spot of winding up the lefties.....

...For example introducing the minimum wage, Sure Starts.

WUM? Moi?

You'll note that the Tory government has raised the Minimum Wage to the highest level ever. Sure Start was rightly closed as it became essentially a talking shop for chattering middle class mothers (like Mrs P). Hardly anyone from the target communities attended. A complete waste of money, even allowing for Kneeling Angela Rayner.

As would any government, if only to compensate for the effects of inflation. The Tories also gave it a shiny new name, presumably in the hope that some might be persuaded that it actually is the real living wage. No harm in trying.
(06-13-2020, 12:50 PM)Ossian Wrote: As would any government, if only to compensate for the effects of inflation. The Tories also gave it a shiny new name, presumably in the hope that some might be persuaded that it actually is the real living wage. No harm in trying.

How about 4x inflation for the over 25s? Or more than 2x inflation for Apprentices?