Rooney's Law
All over the back pages that former players such as Sol Campbell aren't getting Manager's jobs  due to institutional racism.

I think the likes of Sol Csmpbell aren't getting jobs because they aren't very good, and his track record suggests that. I dont think Pardew will have another major job because he has been proven to be poor. The fact he is white is a coincidence.

When Darren was sacked last year, it was because the wheels were falling off, not because he was black. WBA gave him the job in the first place, but the likes of TalkSportShite called it racism. I was proud when DM was appointed, and I wanted it to work, but sadly it didnt work out. I'm pleased it is going well for him, and I dont give two fucks for the white man Graham Jones who I blame for last year.

If you are good enough, you will succeed in the face of adversity. It's not easy for non-white people, but many have failed in management, like Paul Ince, John Barnes and Carlton Palmer because they weren't very good. Just as many, if not more white managers have been sacked for being crap.
(06-08-2020, 11:02 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: All over the back pages that former players such as Sol Campbell aren't getting Manager's jobs  due to institutional racism.

I think the likes of Sol Csmpbell aren't getting jobs because they aren't very good, and his track record suggests that. I dont think Pardew will have another major job because he has been proven to be poor. The fact he is white is a coincidence.

When Darren was sacked last year, it was because the wheels were falling off, not because he was black. WBA gave him the job in the first place, but the likes of TalkSportShite called it racism. I was proud when DM was appointed, and I wanted it to work, but sadly it didnt work out. I'm pleased it is going well for him, and I dont give two fucks for the white man Graham Jones who I blame for last year.

If you are good enough, you will succeed in the face of adversity. It's not easy for non-white people, but many have failed in management, like Paul Ince, John Barnes and Carlton Palmer because they weren't very good. Just as many, if not more white managers have been sacked for being crap.

Yep.
Rather than limiting the point to what has happened with us, which all you say is true, try to expand on the last sentence - "Just as many, if not more white managers have been sacked for being crap."

I would like to see the percentage of shite white managers compared to shite black managers when the player ratio has gotta be close to 50/50 with natural career progression being to remain in the game in some capacity.
I was at my local sainsburys store yesterday and there was a sign outside that said “Please come to the front of the queue if you are an NHS / Key worker or black”

^that was a joke btw.  This is going crazy now. I’m all for equality but if there are less black managers in the game, then question that, but don’t say they get sacked due to their colour as that’s just bollocks. If that was the case they wouldn’t have been appointed in the first place.
(06-08-2020, 11:02 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: All over the back pages that former players such as Sol Campbell aren't getting Manager's jobs  due to institutional racism.

All absolutely correct, but it misses the point entirely. It's not about whether managers who are black happen to be good or not or whether they are sacked because of the colour of their skin, it's about the structural inequalities that make it more difficult for black people to get jobs in football management in the first place. I don't have any figures to hand but I can guarantee you that there will be a complete mismatch between the percentage of BAME players and the percentage of BAME coaches/managers. This is because there is an inherent, largely unconscious, bias towards white managers/coaches and people who are not white find it much more difficult to obtain jobs even when there is no difference in terms of experience/previous achievement. If you look at the data, I am sure you will find that, relative to the number of jobs applied for, black people are far less successful than white people in obtaining roles in football management. This isn't necessarily about racism per se (in some cases it is), but it's difficult to deny there is an issue in the recruitment of BAME managers and coaches and those who do deny it demonstrate a lack of understanding of how privilege works.
The case of Campbell specifically is an interesting one. He did a good job at Macclesfield, keeping them up when they looked doomed and easily enough to land a job at another lower league club. He’s always come across as being a bit full of himself and a little mental. I suspect that’s what puts clubs off rather than the colour of his skin.

It is a fact though that there is a disproportionately small number of BAME managers in the football league. Off the top of my head I can name Big Dave and the guy at Forest. There’s probably a handful of others in the lower leagues but not many I’d wager. I’m not sure a rule that enforces token interviews is really the solution. The need to be looking at what is stopping BAME coaches and players from moving up.
(06-09-2020, 06:42 AM)steviedm Wrote:

All absolutely correct, but it misses the point entirely. It's not about whether managers who are black happen to be good or not or whether they are sacked because of the colour of their skin, it's about the structural inequalities that make it more difficult for black people to get jobs in football management in the first place. I don't have any figures to hand but I can guarantee you that there will be a complete mismatch between the percentage of BAME players and the percentage of BAME coaches/managers. This is because there is an inherent, largely unconscious, bias towards white managers/coaches and people who are not white find it much more difficult to obtain jobs even when there is no difference in terms of experience/previous achievement. If you look at the data, I am sure you will find that, relative to the number of jobs applied for, black people are far less successful than white people in obtaining roles in football management. This isn't necessarily about racism per se (in some cases it is), but it's difficult to deny there is an issue in the recruitment of BAME managers and coaches and those who do deny it demonstrate a lack of understanding of how privilege works.

+1 this is the exact point. White middle aged football owners not appointing non-white managers. There are very few black owners. Compared to the number of black players there's a paucity of black coaches and managers. The real data would be the % of black candidates for these roles that succeed compared to the % of white candidates. Once that is on a level then how good or crap they are will look after itself.
Over 20% of professional footballers are black, what proportion are managers? There are no role models for aspiring black managers to follow.

Frank Lampard getting the job at Chelsea, you seriously telling me he was the most qualified man for the job?
Nuno?
Chris Hughton?
(06-09-2020, 07:56 AM)Gzbaggy Wrote: Nuno?
Chris Hughton?

Is Hughton in work at the moment? Honest question, can’t be arsed to google.