Blackout Tuesday & WBA
(06-02-2020, 01:20 PM)DAVE Wrote: Nor me.

Remember when Loyalist used to sign off "88"?

Was that his tit cricket score?
(06-02-2020, 12:43 PM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 12:29 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 12:27 PM)Dumbo Wrote: ‘You won’t be missed’ reply WBA.

Brilliant.

Nobody is missed at the moment.

This is not football's problem. I'm proud of how our club deals with racism in football, and our glorious past, but I do not see what a domestic incident in America (and I acknowledge how important an issue it is) has anything to do with football.

Racism is not exclusive to America.

It's not, but every day shit happens all over the world. Somehow it's highlighted by it being the USA.
I think the whole message around this is wrapped up in the widespread revulsion the wider world feels for Trump.
(06-02-2020, 01:24 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 01:20 PM)DAVE Wrote: Nor me.

Remember when Loyalist used to sign off "88"?

Was that his tit cricket score?

Serious answer: 88 is fascist code for HH, Heil Hitler
(06-02-2020, 12:39 PM)WWHO Wrote: For a parody account, his responses seem pretty explicit; and by that i mean explicitly ignorant.

I feel dirty having looked at the account; racist, sexist and brexiteer all rolled into one, top bloke! I do wonder if it is someone making up an account to get someone else into trouble - darts player called Mart apparently  Confused
(06-02-2020, 01:38 PM)baggy1 Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 12:39 PM)WWHO Wrote: For a parody account, his responses seem pretty explicit; and by that i mean explicitly ignorant.

I feel dirty having looked at the account; racist, sexist and brexiteer all rolled into one, top bloke! I do wonder if it is someone making up an account to get someone else into trouble - darts player called Mart apparently  Confused

You missed out homophobe, and he had a go at the club twitter for tweeting about Eid last week.

Certified Cnut.
(06-02-2020, 01:26 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:

Brilliant.

This is not football's problem. I'm proud of how our club deals with racism in football, and our glorious past, but I do not see what a domestic incident in America (and I acknowledge how important an issue it is) has anything to do with football.

It's not, but every day shit happens all over the world. Somehow it's highlighted by it being the USA.
I think the whole message around this is wrapped up in the widespread revulsion the wider world feels for Trump.

That's probablyy a fair comment, Spandau, but I still don't see why football is taking a stand here. 

I don't recall WBA or Liverpool making a statement when the Berlin wall came down, or the tanks rolled through Tiananmen Square.
They both wear the poppy though.
(06-02-2020, 01:45 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

Brilliant.

That's probablyy a fair comment, Spandau, but I still don't see why football is taking a stand here. 

I don't recall WBA or Liverpool making a statement when the Berlin wall came down, or the tanks rolled through Tiananmen Square.

Racism still happens in football stadiums. Football is a cornerstone of European society, football clubs have the power to influence behaviour through the messages they share. There are no negatives to speaking out.

Brilliant.

Football is probably taking a stand (or a knee) because racism has become a major issue within the game again.

Brilliant.

See your point but different times. We're much more interconnected and millions will have seen the death of George Floyd, whilst on a daily we look in horror as the complete evil piece of scum who is in the White House continues to lie, protect the KKK and gun toting maniacs etc.
The famous are using their exalted celebrity to make a stand. At first I was unsure, but think America has to know that it is screwing up badly.