WHO Unfunding
Trump's WHO funding reduction: other developed countries should make up the American contribution and press the "ignore" button. 'Nuff said.
Every time you think he cannot possibly get any more cretinous, he manages to astound.
I rarely post on the politics bored, but here goes. Trump may be a cretin, (believe me, I won't argue that), but he can see the WHO are scarcely fit for purpose. BBC news website today has a timescale of the reaction of the WHO to the virus. Just read it, it defies belief. Add this to the fact the WHO has considerable previous when it comes to reacting to global epidemics.
Whether the funding should be cut right now, is the only debateable here. From what I see, the WHO have a lot of questions to answer and Trump has given them a handy deflection.
1. Does Trump even have the authority to do this? I thought Congress controlled the budget.

2. WHO should have been mass defunded when they decided traditional "Chinese" medicine should be allowed on their 2022 list of approved medicines in spite of admitting that it isn't evidence based.

(04-15-2020, 07:40 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: I rarely post on the politics bored, but here goes. Trump may be a cretin, (believe me, I won't argue that),  but he can see the WHO are scarcely fit for purpose. BBC news website today has a timescale of the reaction of the WHO to the virus. Just read it, it defies belief. Add this to the fact the WHO has considerable previous when it comes to reacting to global epidemics.
Whether the funding should be cut right now, is the only debateable here. From what I see, the WHO have a lot of questions to answer and Trump has given them a handy deflection.

More to do with the problem of Trump deflecting from his administration's woeful attempt at mitigating the effect of the virus, whether you think the WHO isn't fit for purpose (I don't, they're not as proactive as they were in the 70s and 80s) this decision is not based on logic.
(04-15-2020, 07:44 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: 1. Does Trump even have the authority to do this? I thought Congress controlled the budget.

2. WHO should have been mass defunded when they decided traditional "Chinese" medicine should be allowed on their 2022 list of approved medicines in spite of admitting that it isn't evidence based.

(04-15-2020, 07:40 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: I rarely post on the politics bored, but here goes. Trump may be a cretin, (believe me, I won't argue that),  but he can see the WHO are scarcely fit for purpose. BBC news website today has a timescale of the reaction of the WHO to the virus. Just read it, it defies belief. Add this to the fact the WHO has considerable previous when it comes to reacting to global epidemics.

More to do with the problem of Trump deflecting from his administration's woeful attempt at mitigating the effect of the virus, whether you think the WHO isn't fit for purpose (I don't, they're not as proactive as they were in the 70s and 80s) this decision is not based on logic.
I'm not defending Trump nor his decision, and agree there is no logic there.  Just read the timetable detailing the reaction of the WHO to the virus. (BBC news website). It is inept.
(04-15-2020, 08:04 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 07:44 PM)Borin\ Baggie Wrote: 1. Does Trump even have the authority to do this? I thought Congress controlled the budget.

I'm not defending Trump nor his decision, and agree there is no logic there.  Just read the timetable detailing the reaction of the WHO to the virus. (BBC news website). It is inept.

I agree it is inept, I've cited another worrying recent development within the WHO regarding alternative "medicines". There's also that video of the WHO official being asked by a HK journalist about why Taiwan wasn't allowed to help and the WHO guy just deflected the question. My point is just that why Trump is doing what he's doing has nothing to do with the WHO but the ineptitude of his administration's response.