your most surreal experience...
(04-03-2020, 07:56 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 03:40 PM)baggie93 Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 11:49 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote: Having played in bands since the late '50s, Skiffle, Rock 'n' Roll, and latterly Country, I've had one or two, but my stand out one was I think, back in the early 60s. At that time we worked on the Plaza Ballroom circuit round the Brum area, doing R'n'R, as a support band to the chart bands. I couldn't believe it when we were booked to support at the Old Hill Plaza, the one and only Jerry Lee Lewis!!  
What an incredible night! After the show, we sat in the dressing room drinking with JLL and his band, Jerry and his lads on "Jack D" us lot on Banks's! He was wearing a red velvet suit, sweating like a pig, his blonde wavy hair hanging down, speaking in that deep Southern drawl. After 60 odd years that picture still remains as clear as a bell now. IMO Jerry was the best R n Roller of em all...still is!
Great story!.. What did u play??
What did I ? vocals /guitar and a bit of keys. 50s 60s RnR, still do now, only 1/2 a month, and still singing the same stuff, and the old uns still love it, and still boppin, some of em that is  Big Grin Big Grin
Are you a local lad baggie, thought perhaps you were there that night, also played there with Shane Fenton, who became Alvin Stardust, Kaye Sisters, remember them,Vince Hill, and the Walker Bros. "Ma" Regan who owned all the ballrooms, managed to bring 'em all in, incl the Beatles, Bill Haley, Freddie and the Dreamers, us support acts never knew who we were on with until the week before. What an era for live music! Cool
(04-03-2020, 10:02 AM)wba13 Wrote: This sight going awol for an hour stating account suspended.

ah I thought that was just me and I had been banned  Angry
(04-03-2020, 11:14 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 11:49 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote: Having played in bands since the late '50s, Skiffle, Rock 'n' Roll, and latterly Country, I've had one or two, but my stand out one was I think, back in the early 60s. At that time we worked on the Plaza Ballroom circuit round the Brum area, doing R'n'R, as a support band to the chart bands. I couldn't believe it when we were booked to support at the Old Hill Plaza, the one and only Jerry Lee Lewis!!  
What an incredible night! After the show, we sat in the dressing room drinking with JLL and his band, Jerry and his lads on "Jack D" us lot on Banks's! He was wearing a red velvet suit, sweating like a pig, his blonde wavy hair hanging down, speaking in that deep Southern drawl. After 60 odd years that picture still remains as clear as a bell now. IMO Jerry was the best R n Roller of em all...still is!
What did I ? vocals /guitar and a bit of keys. 50s 60s RnR, still do now, only 1/2 a month, and still singing the same stuff, and the old uns still love it, and still boppin, some of em that is  Big Grin Big Grin
Are you a local lad baggie, thought perhaps you were there that night, also played there with Shane Fenton, who became Alvin Stardust, Kaye Sisters, remember them,Vince Hill, and the Walker Bros. "Ma" Regan who owned all the ballrooms, managed to bring 'em all in, incl the Beatles, Bill Haley, Freddie and the Dreamers, us support acts never knew who we were on with until the week before. What an era for live music! Cool

The Beatles played in Old Hill?
(04-03-2020, 05:33 PM)igorbalis Wrote:

No mate, Ma Regan, who owned all the venues, booked them for one of the Brum venues, and put them up overnight at her house, they were just becoming known, and she always said they wrote one of their songs, there can't remember whch though Sad
(04-03-2020, 10:11 AM)yeoman lai Wrote: Having a piss next to that rock legend and dingle twat Robert Plant.

Hope you pissed on his shoes.
(04-04-2020, 09:55 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote:
(04-02-2020, 03:40 PM)baggie93 Wrote: Great story!.. What did u play??

No mate, Ma Regan, who owned all the venues, booked them for one of the Brum venues, and put them up overnight at her house, they were just becoming known, and she always said they wrote one of their songs, there can't remember whch though Sad

Didn't they play at a venue in Rookery Rd. Handsworth? Possibly The Farcroft, another of Ma Regans bookings.  I worked with a guy that saw them and the Stones there. He also saw the Stones somewhere down Digbeth as well and had a drink with them, they couldn't believe Brum shut down tight at night back then. Quaker town.  The Beatles also played at St Peters Church hall in Sutton.
What an incredible night! After the show, we sat in the dressing room drinking with JLL and his band, Jerry and his lads on "Jack D"from the bottle, us lot on Banks's! He was wearing a red velvet suit, sweating like a pig, his blonde wavy hair hanging down, speaking in that deep Southern drawl. After 60 odd years that picture still remains as clear as a bell now. IMO Jerry was the best R n Roller of em all...still is!

Was his guitar player Richard Hugh Blackmore by any chance?
Shaking hands with Mandela in Cape Town not long after his inauguration.

Didn't dawn on me until later that I had just met the (then) most famous man in the World.
I've got a couple.

First was having a 25 minute conversation about speedway with Cathedral (and original Napalm Death) vocalist Lee Dorrian, backstage at a Spiritual Beggars gig at JB's in Dudley, one night.

And chatting to a tranny who was dressed like a goth Mary Poppins while Pink Floyd played in the background.
(04-04-2020, 11:44 AM)Tom Joad Wrote:
(04-04-2020, 09:55 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote:
(04-03-2020, 07:56 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote: What did I ? vocals /guitar and a bit of keys. 50s 60s RnR, still do now, only 1/2 a month, and still singing the same stuff, and the old uns still love it, and still boppin, some of em that is  Big Grin Big Grin

Didn't they play at a venue in Rookery Rd. Handsworth? Possibly The Farcroft, another of Ma Regans bookings.  I worked with a guy that saw them and the Stones there. He also saw the Stones somewhere down Digbeth as well and had a drink with them, they couldn't believe Brum shut down tight at night back then. Quaker town.  The Beatles also played at St Peters Church hall in Sutton.
They did, it was the Plaza Ballroom opposite Rookery Road School.