Night car cruising in the Black Country - WTF??
(04-01-2020, 03:24 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 02:55 PM)WWHO Wrote: Yeah, it's a curious place that attracts peculiar people.  I must admit I loved living in Tuscon and Nogales.

Well, all advocacy/social movements require a multi-dimensional, horses for courses approach.  As you well know, political lobbying in the corridors of power works in some circumstances, other times direct action is required.  One isn't more effective than the other, per se.

As for me, I studied for a MA in Area Studies at Uni of Liverpool, which had a significant focus on the Americas.  I originally moved to Oaxaca in Mexico to research the leaders of t......

I do miss America.  Everyone had a story, especially the nut jobs.

I'd like to think that's why I chose that approach, but I know that it was because I didn't have the balls for other.

You joined the minutemen?? Is that the way you were originally leaning or was it 'undercover'? I'm amazed they let you in. I would have thought they would be careful. Weren't they wary with your background (If my assumptions are correct about your 'background') 

One thing that's always intrigued me about the direct approach is how do you give it up? I would have thought you have to buy into it heart and soul and your social circle becomes entrenched, so leaving must be a wrench.

My research methodology centred on participatory observation, planting oneself in a 'community' or 'movement' in order to study from within. Moreover, I was open about my background but, at the same time, adopted a fervently a-political approach to my research, seeking to empathise with volunteers in an attempt to investigate their backgrounds and motivations. I made that clear to the leaders when i met them in Tombstone and, despite some reservations, they let me join a patrol group in the Naco sector of Nogales.

I'm lucky that i moved into the field of labour history, which has a tradition of activism amongst its disciples, think Hobsbawm, E.P. Thompson etc.  In saying that, age, responsibilities, disillusionment get the better of you.  I'm not sure i can now justify chaining myself to a fence in the middle of the desert or volunteering with armed vigilantes to the missus.
(04-01-2020, 12:15 PM)sickParrot Wrote: I dont think its unfair to say that cruising is chavs or more that its something that could be pretty harmless is ruined by the great unwashed.

As a petrolhead, I have mixed views on this. I used to go out in Digbeth 20+ years ago before it got out of hand and started attracting idiots racing the police in stolen cars. The same (older) faces can now be seen at places like caffeine and machine, shelby walsh and such like.

Is Caffeine & Machine any good? I've heard a bit about it.
(04-01-2020, 03:43 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Is Caffeine & Machine any good? I've heard a bit about it.

Yes mate, really good and well worth a visit. Its great to see such a huge variety of cars all in once place.

On a sunny weekend day it can be really busy, think there was over 600 cars there somedays.

The food is good too. Will let you know when I next go, not sure when!
(04-01-2020, 03:53 PM)sickParrot Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 03:43 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: Is Caffeine & Machine any good? I've heard a bit about it.

Yes mate, really good and well worth a visit. Its great to see such a huge variety of cars all in once place.

On a sunny weekend day it can be really busy, think there was over 600 cars there somedays.

The food is good too. Will let you know when I next go, not sure when!

I'll have to pop along. Not too far from me. Just have to make sure that twat Brewer isn't there  Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Just skimming through this Fred it seems Cannock , Los Angeles and Brierley Hill are the Car Cruising places to be?
I got a sixty-nine Chevy with a 396
Fuelie heads and a Hurst on the floor
She's waiting tonight down in the parking lot
Outside the Seven-Eleven store
Me and my partner Sonny built her straight out of scratch
And he rides with me from town to town
We only run for the money got no strings attached
We shut 'em up and then we shut 'em down

Tonight, tonight the strip's just right
I wanna blow 'em off in my first heat
Summer's here and the time is right
For racing in the street

We take all the action we can meet
And we cover all the north east state
When the strip shuts down we run 'em in the street
From the fire roads to the interstate
Some guys they just give up living
And start dying little by little, piece by piece
Some guys come home from work and wash up
And go racing in the street

Tonight, tonight the strip's just right
I wanna blow 'em all out of their seats
Calling out around the world, we're going racing in the street

I met her on the strip three years ago
In a Camaro with this dude from L.A.
I blew that Camaro off my back and drove that little girl away
But now there's wrinkles around my baby's eyes
And she cries herself to sleep at night
When I come home the house is dark
She sighs "Baby did you make it all right"
She sits on the porch of her daddy's house
But all her pretty dreams are torn
She stares off alone into the night
With the eyes of one who hates for just being born
For all the shut down strangers and hot rod angels
Rumbling through this promised land
Tonight my baby and me we're gonna ride to the sea
And wash these sins off our hands

Tonight tonight the highway's bright
Out of our way mister you best keep
'Cause summer's here and the time is right
For racing in the street
Fuck the the car cruisers, the government have just stated that people going out in there cars is increasing. Why can’t they stop at home like most of us, only go out if your going to work or to the shops it’s that simple.
There's a dark cloud rising from the desert floor
I packed my bags and I headed straight into the storm
(04-01-2020, 03:41 PM)WWHO Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 03:24 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 02:55 PM)WWHO Wrote: Yeah, it's a curious place that attracts peculiar people.  I must admit I loved living in Tuscon and Nogales.

Well, all advocacy/social movements require a multi-dimensional, horses for courses approach.  As you well know, political lobbying in the corridors of power works in some circumstances, other times direct action is required.  One isn't more effective than the other, per se.

As for me, I studied for a MA in Area Studies at Uni of Liverpool, which had a significant focus on the Americas.  I originally moved to Oaxaca in Mexico to research the leaders of t......

I do miss America.  Everyone had a story, especially the nut jobs.

I'd like to think that's why I chose that approach, but I know that it was because I didn't have the balls for other.

You joined the minutemen?? Is that the way you were originally leaning or was it 'undercover'? I'm amazed they let you in. I would have thought they would be careful. Weren't they wary with your background (If my assumptions are correct about your 'background') 

One thing that's always intrigued me about the direct approach is how do you give it up? I would have thought you have to buy into it heart and soul and your social circle becomes entrenched, so leaving must be a wrench.

My research methodology centred on participatory observation, planting oneself in a 'community' or 'movement' in order to study from within. Moreover, I was open about my background but, at the same time, adopted a fervently a-political approach to my research, seeking to empathise with volunteers in an attempt to investigate their backgrounds and motivations. I made that clear to the leaders when i met them in Tombstone and, despite some reservations, they let me join a patrol group in the Naco sector of Nogales.

I'm lucky that i moved into the field of labour history, which has a tradition of activism amongst its disciples, think Hobsbawm, E.P. Thompson etc.  In saying that, age, responsibilities, disillusionment get the better of you.  I'm not sure i can now justify chaining myself to a fence in the middle of the desert or volunteering with armed vigilantes to the missus.

Fascinating. Did you publish your thesis?
(04-01-2020, 04:19 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: There's a dark cloud rising from the desert floor
I packed my bags and I headed straight into the storm

I followed that dream
Just like those guys do way up on the screen
Drove my Challenger down Route 9
Through the dead ends and all the bad scenes
The promise was broken
Cashed in a few of my dreams
Well I built that Challenger by myself
But I needed money and so I sold it
Lived a secret I should've kept to myself
But I got drunk one night and I told it
All my life, I fought that fight