Italy
"It was first coined by the UK press and Conservative MPs during the three-day week; then used more widely during the Winter of Discontent ..."

I've only heard it from a German, but I'm sure you're right. A love of self-flagellation is another of our 'traits'. Thinking about it, I remember a french girl saying exactly that, but not in this context!
(03-30-2020, 02:48 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 02:18 PM)The liquidator Wrote: Can I ask where did the coronavirus originate from?

China. We don't call every other disease a name based on where it comes from. What's the motivation for doing so now?

(Except for Spanish Flu, which bizarrely most likely came from the US. Thinking about it, there's also the 'English disease' which is either syphilis or gout depending on which nationality the small minded ignorant twat comes from.)

whats your problem in calling out china where it started it is what it is . As its been pointed out football hooliganism is called the english disease and rightly so as we started it .  it doesnt mean you blame every person individually who comes from china just the country there is a difference .
(03-30-2020, 03:18 PM)The liquidator Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 02:18 PM)The liquidator Wrote: Can I ask where did the coronavirus originate from?

China. We don't call every other disease a name based on where it comes from. What's the motivation for doing so now?

(Except for Spanish Flu, which bizarrely most likely came from the US. Thinking about it, there's also the 'English disease' which is either syphilis or gout depending on which nationality the small minded ignorant twat comes from.)

whats your problem in calling out china where it started it is what it is . As its been pointed out football hooliganism is called the english disease and rightly so as we started it .  it doesnt mean you blame every person individually who comes from china just the country there is a difference .

Why do you think I have a problem? You can call it what you like and I'll just smile politely!

(Sorry if this dents your pride, but I don't think we did 'start' football hooliganism. Maybe you were the first to 'popularise' it?)
Because it's not a 'Chinese' Disease, it's a mutation of SARS and, I'm guessing, other fucked up viruses. It's simply a disease - the Chinese didn't invent it (in the same way that you are saying the English invented hooliganism) they are just the point of origin of a human disease.

Like said above I hope the least that comes out of it is cleaning up these markets. I went to a local hawker market in Singapore (not one of the tourist cleaned up versions) whilst over there a few years ago and i was horrified at how they were handling food and serving up the locals. And that was in a 'westernised' country, fuck knows what the markets were like in Wuhan.
(03-30-2020, 03:27 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 03:18 PM)The liquidator Wrote:

Why do you think I have a problem? You can call it what you like and I'll just smile politely!

(Sorry if this dents your pride, but I don't think we did 'start' football hooliganism. Maybe you were the first to 'popularise' it?)

If you say so <rolls eyes >
England started football hooliganism? Rangers and Celtic want a word, pal.
(03-29-2020, 08:29 PM)Lightnin Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 07:38 PM)HomersBelly Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 06:45 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: How many people believe this is an airborne virus ?
It could explain as to why the Chinese have been using snow blowers, helecopters, etc to discinfect areas.
Places with air con - such as cruise ships and office blocks, etc could easily spread the virus.
The social distancing has now become essential and the gap increased to 2 metres ?
The spread rate is greater then anything we have seen in the past.
Obviously no concrete facts support that's it's an airborne virus, but I don't see much to dismiss the idea.

It is airbourne when a carrier sneezes or cough. It can suspend itself in air drops (aerosols) for up to 3 hours I read. Before landing on a surface or dying out.

The reason we want to slow it down is because in the summer it will only last 3 minutes rather than 3 hours as it’s suggested it won’t cope as well with warmer conditions. Still highly contagious and dangerous but to a lesser risk.

It won't be hot enough here but Italy yes.
(03-30-2020, 03:33 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: England started football hooliganism? Rangers and Celtic want a word, pal.

As do the Argentinians - first death in the 1920's. The English are a bunch of under-performing, glory-hunting wannabes!
(03-30-2020, 08:48 AM)Morley Wrote: The problem with Italy is that it's health service runs at 95% capacity in normal situations.  Through Covid at it and it collapses fast.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6MZy-2fcBw

A long watch but very interesting.

Italians are generally hypocondriacs.
(03-30-2020, 03:13 PM)fuzzbox Wrote: "It was first coined by the UK press and Conservative MPs during the three-day week; then used more widely during the Winter of Discontent ..."

I've only heard it from a German, but I'm sure you're right. A love of self-flagellation is another of our 'traits'. Thinking about it, I remember a french girl saying exactly that, but not in this context!

I'm not sure the demonisation of the trade union movement in the early 1970s was a form of "self-flagellation", more the Tories and their friends in the right-wing press warming up for the subsequent all out war on the working-classes under Thatcher.