What would you do with the BBC
(01-20-2020, 05:33 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Abolish the TV Licence.

That simple.

Can't disagree more.
One of the great achievements of our country. Embodiment of the best British values. A huge range of great programming, on 6+ radio stations, the fabulous iPlayer 

There are some good points above, and no organisation is beyond criticism.

But just think what we'd have without it.
Acres of Sky, that LBC phone in station, with all the others that do little else, Fox news would come in, we'd lose wonderful dramas, replaced with hours of advertising.

£150 a year is dirt cheap for an objective news organisation alone.
How much do we pay for Sky p.a.? 
And what would we have to pay if Amazon prime replaced the BBC?

We don't know what we've got until we lose it ..
(01-20-2020, 05:48 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 05:33 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Abolish the TV Licence.

That simple.

Can't disagree more.
One of the great achievements of our country. Embodiment of the best British values. A huge range of great programming, on 6+ radio stations, the fabulous iPlayer 

There are some good points above, and no organisation is beyond criticism.

But just think what we'd have without it.
Acres of Sky, that LBC phone in station, with all the others that do little else, Fox news would come in, we'd lose wonderful dramas, replaced with hours of advertising.

£150 a year is dirt cheap for an objective news organisation alone.

We don't know what we've got until we lose it ..

Absolutely this. 

The BBC is one of the jewels in the crown of British society, and as such deserves every bit of protection we can give it. And, given the Tories antipathy towards it, it’s going to need looking after.
(01-20-2020, 05:48 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote: £150 a year is dirt cheap for an objective news organisation alone.

A lot has changed in the last 10 years.
Be more representative of the country and not make out that everyone is a transgender vegan with mental illness who has a fascination for women’s football.
(01-20-2020, 06:05 PM)sickParrot Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 05:48 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote: £150 a year is dirt cheap for an objective news organisation alone.

A lot has changed in the last 10 years.

+1 They're not objective in the slightest. They're riddled with agenda.

As for their dramas, they used to make good ones. Now they're also riddled with agenda. And the BBC4 documentaries are the same. I used to really like BBC4. Its probably the best thing left about the BBC but even that has gone majorly downhill.
Has no one seen The Detectorists? Giri/Haji? Line of Duty? Fleabag? Louis Theroux? Listened to 6 Music?

This is just of the top of my head, there's loads more fantastic stuff produced by the BBC. The BBC is great.

I do agree that they can sometimes be seen to pander to some sections of society that perhaps aren't as prevalent in real life as they are online (the casting for The Watch series looks awful...) but thats just an attempt to cater to a modern society. Not everyone is a white, middle-aged football fan from the black country. If you don't like it don't watch it, which is the line I take.

Their flagrant anti-corbyn news agenda however..... Big Grin
(01-20-2020, 05:03 PM)yeoman lai Wrote: First thing is an urgent review what it pays it's presenters...  for example Shearer circa 400k pa,  for what? I'm sure the public could do without.

Secondly point out that as a national broadcaster, paid for by the nation, it should have no "core demographic" target, particularly prevalent in radio.. where can an "oldie" listen to 50s & 60s music?

Thirdly.. Yes we are a multicultural society, but not every programme needs to hammer home this point.. A national broadcaster should have no agendas.. be they political or social.

Fourthly.. Fuck Mrs Browns Boys & Eastenders right off!

I agree completely. Am pig sick of the 'minority' stuff being rammed down our throats. Mind you, channel r seem to have employed someone deaf to announce their shows, I can't understand her at all, so it's not just the Been.
Remove Womens' Football from the BBC website which sits only below the Premier League but above the Championship! How on earth are football leagues of the quality of your local boys under 16's teams deemed to be of better quality or indeed as more important than our league, League One, Two ad infinitum to the bottom of the pyramid. Arrghh!!!!!
No one should pay for a service they don't use.

I don't use BBC, hence I refuse to pay for it. That means I can't watch any live TV, which us so moronic it's insane anyone who doesn't eat crayons defends it.

If the BBC is so great, it could easily fund itself.
(01-20-2020, 07:07 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: No one should pay for a service they don't use.

I don't use BBC, hence I refuse to pay for it. That means I can't watch any live TV, which us so moronic it's insane anyone who doesn't eat crayons defends it.

If the BBC is so great, it could easily fund itself.
It could 
But it wouldn't be the BBC any more.