Sunday School
(01-19-2020, 07:53 PM)Baggie Rick Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 07:48 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 07:35 PM)Baggie Rick Wrote: Not by the church over the road! Especially if said church is teaching them a song with swear words in!

Who said the church was teaching her songs with swear words in? More likely her older brother has done that. I just found the juxtaposition of where she had been and what she did when she came in amusing.
And it doesn’t really matter who is looking after your kids if there is nothing more shit than not spending time with your daughters, it’s still time without your daughters.

(01-19-2020, 07:47 PM)DAVE Wrote: I’m all for having some child free time but pimping them out to the frock wearing nonces in the church? Nah, mate.

An hr a week in Sunday school mate but well done on the nice display of bigotry and tarring everyone with the same brush there.

Calm down dear it's only a message board. 

When have I said I spend Sunday mornings away from daughters?
Your exact quote was “I couldn't think of anything more shit than not spending time with my daughters.” That would imply any time, not just Sunday’s. 
As it is, it’s the only time me and the mrs get to ourselves. Her parents died yrs ago, my mom is getting too old and I wouldn’t trust my one brother left in the Uk to look after her.
Is he a priest?
(01-19-2020, 08:01 PM)Fido Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 07:56 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 07:46 PM)Fido Wrote: Amazed that Sunday school is still an ongoing concern. We used to go in the village I grew up in but 40 years on it seems almost another world. All for social gatherings but I’d feel strange about sending my kid to someone who openly lies to them.

Well that depends on if you truly believe and seeing as the vicar truly does believe in the existence of god, he isn’t lying. Now if you said “someone who doesn’t believe the same thing as me” then you would have a point. 
Anyway people lie to kids all the time, tooth fairy, the Easter bunny, Father Christmas etc. I’m not a Christian but think it’s nice she is discovering ideas and spirituality for herself

Regardless of his beliefs or intentions he’s preaching things he can’t possibly know to be true. And lots of things that most definitely aren’t.  I think our kids can do without that. As for lying about tooth fairies and Father Christmas I doubt that any evil has ever come from that.
Plenty of people teach things they can’t possibly know are true or not. Science changes it’s mind every few years but presents what it knows at the time as fact. 
No evil has ever come from religion. The evil comes from the use of religion as a tool for the gaining and maintaining of power. Even religions such as Buddhism have been used as a front for this. The issue isn’t religion, it’s the misuse of religion. If religion didn’t exist, it would just be replaced with another power proxy.
Plenty of parents have got themselves into debt making sure their kids think Father Christmas thinks they have been good.
(01-19-2020, 08:08 PM)DAVE Wrote: Is he a priest?

LOL
(01-19-2020, 08:08 PM)DAVE Wrote: Is he a priest?
No, far worse. He’s a seal.
(01-19-2020, 08:12 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 07:46 PM)Fido Wrote: Amazed that Sunday school is still an ongoing concern. We used to go in the village I grew up in but 40 years on it seems almost another world. All for social gatherings but I’d feel strange about sending my kid to someone who openly lies to them.

Well that depends on if you truly believe and seeing as the vicar truly does believe in the existence of god, he isn’t lying. Now if you said “someone who doesn’t believe the same thing as me” then you would have a point. 
Anyway people lie to kids all the time, tooth fairy, the Easter bunny, Father Christmas etc. I’m not a Christian but think it’s nice she is discovering ideas and spirituality for herself

Regardless of his beliefs or intentions he’s preaching things he can’t possibly know to be true. And lots of things that most definitely aren’t.  I think our kids can do without that. As for lying about tooth fairies and Father Christmas I doubt that any evil has ever come from that.
Plenty of people teach things they can’t possibly know are true or not. Science changes it’s mind every few years but presents what it knows at the time as fact. 
No evil has ever come from religion. The evil comes from the use of religion as a tool for the gaining and maintaining of power. Even religions such as Buddhism have been used as a front for this. The issue isn’t religion, it’s the misuse of religion. If religion didn’t exist, it would just be replaced with another power proxy.
Plenty of parents have got themselves into debt making sure their kids think Father Christmas thinks they have been good.

The difference is that science teaches what it knows at that time and is open to being proven wrong. It differs absolutely in the way that religion works. Of course people of low moral integrity will use any power to their own advantage but religion makes good people do bad things that they would normally never consider doing. It's naive to think otherwise. It's a poison and the sooner our schools and society are rid of it the richer will we be.
(01-19-2020, 08:24 PM)Fido Wrote:

The difference is that science teaches what it knows at that time and is open to being proven wrong. It differs absolutely in the way that religion works. Of course people of low moral integrity will use any power to their own advantage but religion makes good people do bad things that they would normally never consider doing. It's naive to think otherwise. It's a poison and the sooner our schools and society are rid of it the richer will we be.

And yet societies without religions still have similar types of issues, which makes me think it's a human thing as opposed to a religious issue.

I'd also take a wider look at what some supposedly scientific people are saying these days before claiming "science teaches only the truth".

Oh I agree that religion can be terribly misused, but to suggest it’s a poison that we need to rid ourselves of risks stepping into bigotry and intolerance. The issue is the misuse of religion and conversely to your argument, there have been plenty of bad people who started doing good after finding religion. So it’s not religion making people do bad things, it’s people manipulating religion in order to get others to do evil.
Not so sure on your science point, whilst what is true may change, the fact is that once something is “scientifically proven” then no one is allowed to argue with it without being dismissed as an idiot.
(01-19-2020, 08:32 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 07:56 PM)Sotv Wrote: Well that depends on if you truly believe and seeing as the vicar truly does believe in the existence of god, he isn’t lying. Now if you said “someone who doesn’t believe the same thing as me” then you would have a point. 

Oh I agree that religion can be terribly misused, but to suggest it’s a poison that we need to rid ourselves of risks stepping into bigotry and intolerance. The issue is the misuse of religion and conversely to your argument, there have been plenty of bad people who started doing good after finding religion. 
Not so sure on your science point, whilst what is true may change, the fact is that once something is “scientifically proven” then no one is allowed to argue with it without being dismissed as an idiot.

[Image: Father%2BJack.jpg]
(01-19-2020, 03:59 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 02:26 PM)Penny Black Baggie Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 01:16 PM)Sotv Wrote: My daughter decided she wanted to start going to the church over the rd from us and as it means we have a Sunday morning  to ourselves we said ok and she started going just before Christmas.
Now I’m not sure what they are teaching her there but she just came back and chanted “West Brom, West Brom, shit on villa”, so she’s definitely going next week!

You don’t want to spend time with your daughter?
What a stupid fucking comment, no wonder there are many on here who think you’re a prize prick.
How’s your villa in Crete?

I’m over there in two weeks. With the family, for family time.