Nathan Ferguson
(11-16-2019, 09:06 AM)Stevel Knievel Wrote:
(11-16-2019, 09:00 AM)Super_Slav Wrote:
(11-16-2019, 08:39 AM)Arti Wrote: I'm not clicking that link.  What does it say?

Saying potentially he will have to be sold in January as we may lose him for 300k in Summer to Tottenham or Crystal Palace.

I’d take £50m for him in January if that’s what his agent wants. Suspect it’s not though, so let’s not start the pant wetting just yet

Seriously undervaluing him there! £50m cash (not in Spurs installments) + Harry Kane, then we'll talk...

Ohhh you've got to love the boredom of International Break and several weeks til January.
(11-16-2019, 12:30 PM)Squid Wrote:
(11-16-2019, 11:36 AM)Pragmatist Wrote:
(11-16-2019, 10:37 AM)Wednesburybaggie Wrote: The problem is money. He will get mega money by moving, but by footballing standards, not here. I live my current job, but if I was offered to get paid ten times what I was now elsewhere I think I would be off like a shot.

Anything north of £10m (ideally plus a sell-on clause) for an Academy product with a dozen first team appearances, in the cold light of day, is hard to turn down.  We’ve already got somewhere between £4m and eventually £8m for Rodgers.  That sort of money from the Academy on a reasonably regular basis (a) fully justifies having the Academy despite possibly losing one or two for nothing due to the inadequate compensation system), (b) massively boosts our funds available to help get us promoted, and © helps us to offset the loss of parachute funding.

If for every 10 Academy starlets we sell 3 for £5m-£10m, see 3 progress to be valuable first team regulars, and the 4 get poached for nominal compensation, that’s an exceptionally good outcome. Moreover, our Academy starlets will still see the club as being great for them whatever the outcome.

(11-16-2019, 10:38 AM)fuzzbox Wrote: Didn't we get all this clickbait with harper last season?

I know from very strong connections at Spurs that their interest for a January purchase is totally genuine.  Poch going might change that of course, and that’s entirely possible.

This is why your user name is very apt.

?

My Spurs source tells me that the two clubs HAVE made contact re a January deal
The only true word in the Daily Mail is the word Daily.

And even that is wrong because they dont print it on Sunday!
(11-16-2019, 08:39 AM)Arti Wrote: I'm not clicking that link.  What does it say?

Saying potentially he will have to be sold in January as we may lose him for 300k in Summer to Tottenham or Crystal Palace.

He would only go for 300k if it's another Barry scenario.

If Prem, Bosman applies and it'll be miliions.

(11-16-2019, 04:03 PM)Pragmatist Wrote:
(11-16-2019, 10:37 AM)Wednesburybaggie Wrote: The problem is money. He will get mega money by moving, but by footballing standards, not here. I live my current job, but if I was offered to get paid ten times what I was now elsewhere I think I would be off like a shot.

Anything north of £10m (ideally plus a sell-on clause) for an Academy product with a dozen first team appearances, in the cold light of day, is hard to turn down.  We’ve already got somewhere between £4m and eventually £8m for Rodgers.  That sort of money from the Academy on a reasonably regular basis (a) fully justifies having the Academy despite possibly losing one or two for nothing due to the inadequate compensation system), (b) massively boosts our funds available to help get us promoted, and © helps us to offset the loss of parachute funding.

If for every 10 Academy starlets we sell 3 for £5m-£10m, see 3 progress to be valuable first team regulars, and the 4 get poached for nominal compensation, that’s an exceptionally good outcome. Moreover, our Academy starlets will still see the club as being great for them whatever the outcome.

(11-16-2019, 10:38 AM)fuzzbox Wrote: Didn't we get all this clickbait with harper last season?

I know from very strong connections at Spurs that their interest for a January purchase is totally genuine.  Poch going might change that of course, and that’s entirely possible.

?

Yes Spurs offered peanuts and we said fuck off.
(11-16-2019, 06:07 PM)Hopalong Wrote:

He would only go for 300k if it's another Barry scenario.

If Prem, Bosman applies and it'll be miliions.

I believe compensation would be based on first team appearances made, how long he’d been in the Academy, and the value of the contract which he would have rejected.  Gut feel around £8m plus maybe a sell-on clause. Tottenham and Palace would need to be exceeding that to get him in January.  The more competition the better obviously.

With Gibbs and O’Shea as backup and Townsend doing well, we can cope without him, and if it frees up money to enable us to buy Gayle (or similar), with a loan signing to replace Diangana (if necessary), then I can see plenty of merit in us considering this.
(11-16-2019, 12:35 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote: He signs a new contract now or we sell him. After seeing who we can pick up for little money I don't see we have a problem.

He's missed the last two away and we've won with 2 clean sheets so we shouldn't panic.

He had a good run (in the champ) but he's nowhere ready yet to step up permanently. 

We should of course do everything we can to keep him.

?

Can’t see why he’d want to go to Spurs, no game time and just for the money. He’d be better off getting game time with us and improving as a player. It’s better for him and his career. Don’t think Jenkins would like the way Spurs always try to structure deals either but if it’s good money we might not be in a position to turn it down as a club if it means we can use some of those funds to further strengthen in January where Bilić believes we may need too.
(11-16-2019, 06:45 PM)Lightnin Wrote:

?

Can’t see why he’d want to go to Spurs, no game time and just for the money. He’d be better off getting game time with us and improving as a player. It’s better for him and his career. Don’t think Jenkins would like the way Spurs always try to structure deals either but if it’s good money we might not be in a position to turn it down as a club if it means we can use some of those funds to further strengthen in January where Bilić believes we may need too.

Agreed.  Palace might be a better option for him right now, but Spurs will pay better wages. Palace’s interest would at least put pressure on Spurs to structure the deal rather better.
(11-16-2019, 05:16 PM)Bloke who lives abroad Wrote: The only true word in the Daily Mail is the word Daily.

Not read The Sunday Mail?
(11-16-2019, 07:55 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(11-16-2019, 05:16 PM)Bloke who lives abroad Wrote: The only true word in the Daily Mail is the word Daily.

Not read The Sunday Mail?
Why would you?