Ally Rob article
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/foo...his-debut/
(10-24-2019, 07:02 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/foo...his-debut/

Big favourite of mine when a young 'un. There was a restaurant on Beacon Road by Barr Beacon in the late 70s where we were having a meal and him and Ally Brown were there. Got the photo with both their arms around my shoulders - was proud as punch
Always great company. Does lots with Albion groups, the supporters club, etc.
Fell out of love with Albion for a few years after the way he left. Saunders got rid of him too early. Awful decisions made in 86.
I interviewed him, and did a feature for the Worcester Evening News, about 20 years ago when he was working as a salesman in the Rover showroom in Solihull.
A top player.
Was really surprised to see him in that Rover showroom back in about 2000. They wheeled him out as soon as they found out I was Albion thinking it might swing my decision to buy one of those 45s or 75s (dodged a bullet there). I was surprised how he wasn't as tall as I expected.
(10-24-2019, 09:56 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Was really surprised to see him in that Rover showroom back in about 2000. They wheeled him out as soon as they found out I was Albion thinking it might swing my decision to buy one of those 45s or 75s (dodged a bullet there). I was surprised how he wasn't as tall as I expected.

He's about 5 11, I'd say. I've a soccer stars book from the mid 70s and there was very few players over 6ft then, including keepers, with many centre forwards and centre halves all about the 6ft mark. Think our John Osborne was one of the taller keepers- he was a shade taller than me, when I met him, so say he was just about 6 2.
Nowadays with better diet etc players are far bigger.
Still amazed Ally Rob never got a sniff playing for Scotland, when you look at all the years he had playing at the top level.
(10-24-2019, 10:34 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(10-24-2019, 09:56 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Was really surprised to see him in that Rover showroom back in about 2000. They wheeled him out as soon as they found out I was Albion thinking it might swing my decision to buy one of those 45s or 75s (dodged a bullet there). I was surprised how he wasn't as tall as I expected.

He's about 5 11, I'd say. I've a soccer stars book from the mid 70s and there was very few players over 6ft then, including keepers, with many centre forwards and centre halves all about the 6ft mark. Think our John Osborne was one of the taller keepers- he was a shade taller than me, when I met him, so say he was just about 6 2.
Nowadays with better diet etc players are far bigger.
Still amazed Ally Rob never got a sniff playing for Scotland, when you look at all the years he had playing at the top level.
'Kamikaze' one of my all-time favourite players.  Absolutely fearless and his partnership with Wile the bedrock of the great 79-82 team.  Great days.
Every match he played always the same, first ball up to the opposing centre forward there was Ally Rob arm on his shoulder and then kicked the legs from under him.  And when the guy was on the floor he stood over him and gave him that look that said "I'm right behind you for the next 90 minutes".
Another Ally Rob speciality was heading opponents heads at the start of the match, first "duel" in the air. Made his mark early on.

Says Souness was hard, you did him, he'd do you back twice as hard.

I recall him working at Evans Halshaw in Dudley..
(10-24-2019, 07:15 AM)billybassett Wrote:
(10-24-2019, 07:02 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/foo...his-debut/

Big favourite of mine when a young 'un. There was a restaurant on Beacon Road by Barr Beacon in the late 70s where we were having a meal and him and Ally Brown were there. Got the photo with both their arms around my shoulders - was proud as punch

The Bella Pais restaurant?