How's Brexit going October 2019
I see we have a new plan to put to the EU that some experts (I know some of you Brexiteers don't like experts) have already suggested is designed to fail. Can someone explain why we seem so keen to leave without a deal that they can explain the benefits of for the average person in the streets?
Just on a basic self interest basis, Since March 2016 the pound has dropped from about €1.30 to less than €1.10 because of the uncertainty around the whole situation. Leaving with no deal will cause a further drop again because of (more) uncertainty. This has basically put 20% onto anything I spend when abroad (unfortunately there are similar changes for most currencies), this includes buying holidays. I get away three of four times a year and simply put Brexit is costing me more money whilst we continue to have this uncertainty that Boris seems to want to extend.

I won't even get into the costs to the country as a net importer of goods.

Oh sorry - forgot to add, this is just an echo chamber so no need to pay any attention or respond with any reasonable points folks.
(10-02-2019, 09:39 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I see we have a new plan to put to the EU that some experts (I know some of you Brexiteers don't like experts) have already suggested is designed to fail. Can someone explain why we seem so keen to leave without a deal that they can explain the benefits of for the average person in the streets?

The benefits for the average person are elusive and difficult to quantify: there are times when it would be easy to imagine they don't really exist. Like unicorns.

As George Michael said "You gotta have faith". Mind, George was a multi-millionaire living overseas by the time he said that, and hardly average in terms of talent.

Edit: I tried to avoid reverting to type and making the cynical response that if there were benefits for the average person this government wouldn't be promoting the idea. Obviously I've weakened.

Just supposing for a minute that the worst happens - we crash out at the end of the month and have to, among other things, negotiate a new deal with the EU; a deal which will inevitably be less advantageous than the one we've just 'surrendered' (see what I did there?).

This is the party who did eff-all for the nine months between June 2016 and March 2017, and then managed to negotiate eff-all in the subsequent two and a half years. We'll still be on WTO rules when Queen Meghan is on the throne.
(10-02-2019, 09:55 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Just on a basic self interest basis, Since March 2016 the pound has dropped from about €1.30 to less than €1.10 because of the uncertainty around the whole situation. Leaving with no deal will cause a further drop again because of (more) uncertainty. This has basically put 20% onto anything I spend when abroad (unfortunately there are similar changes for most currencies), this includes buying holidays. I get away three of four times a year and simply put Brexit is costing me more money whilst we continue to have this uncertainty that Boris seems to want to extend.

I won't even get into the costs to the country as a net importer of goods.

Oh sorry - forgot to add, this is just an echo chamber so no need to pay any attention or respond with any reasonable points folks.

I’m glad someone else has picked up on the Echo-chamber nonsense said continually by some (almost like an echo-chamber of their very own). It’s nonsense of course as anyone can post a response against any of the points anyone of makes, if they choose not to or can’t that’s entirely up to them.
To quote the great mop haired buffoon this very day:

"the prime minister says he is determined to honour the 2016 referendum result and help the millions who voted to leave because they felt their communities had been "left behind, ignored" and starved of investment."

So nothing to do with the EU then really Boris?

I'm sorry, but when the prime minister can say openly that this was a protest vote and not about the EU, but we're going to follow it through no matter how misguided and costly it will be, says that this country really is going to shit. FFS folks, apply some fucking logic here.
If you believe his sister or the former chancellor he is beholden to big money:

“Johnson is backed by speculators who have bet billions on a hard Brexit – and there is only one option that works for them: a crash-out no-deal that sends the currency tumbling and inflation soaring,” Hammond wrote in the Times."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/201...it-inquiry
(10-02-2019, 11:49 AM)bradesbaggie Wrote: If you believe his sister or the former chancellor he is beholden to big money:

“Johnson is backed by speculators who have bet billions on a hard Brexit – and there is only one option that works for them: a crash-out no-deal that sends the currency tumbling and inflation soaring,” Hammond wrote in the Times."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/201...it-inquiry

All words I've read to describe them... traitors, quislings, romoaners, remaniacs, scum etc.
Brexit is going great: it allows us to break out from the straitjacket and attacks our problem at the root.
(10-02-2019, 01:48 PM)Pneumann Wrote: Brexit is going great: it allows us to break out from the straitjacket and attacks our problem at the root.

Big Grin  No seriously, which problem is that?
(10-02-2019, 01:48 PM)Pneumann Wrote: Brexit is going great: it allows us to break out from the straitjacket and attacks our problem at the root.

Eh? Please elaborate...