Eight Billion Pounds
(09-13-2019, 08:42 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 08:14 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 07:53 AM)John Osborne’s Knuckle Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 01:51 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 01:10 PM)Ossian Wrote: I don't suppose any of us find this particularly surprising: it's the kind of thing hedge funds do all the time and, while we might wonder at the empty morality of 'positioning yourself' to profit from chaos and misery, there's nothing illegal about it. Unless of course there's insider trading going on - and who would bet against that being the case.

Where I would have an issue is if these speculators have direct access to those making the decisions and even more so if they are getting the opportunity to have some input into those decisions. That, to my mind, would be no better than insider dealing; worse if anything.

Here you go the context to the original post
Here you go.

https://fullfact.org/economy/short-positions/

Another of your facts!

What were you saying about Social Media confirming people’s prejudices?

Which is why I didn’t post this with an endorsement simply the article the rumours were based on.

Should put it on the side of a bus etc.

Those articles about the short positions and the subsequent outrage are fucking hilarious, particularly as the majority of those getting themselves into a shit fit over something they don't understand often accuse anyone with a different opinion to them of being some type of moron. The one about Crispin Odey taking short positions on companies like The Royal Mail (like post isn't a dying game) also featured a small mention of him taking long positions on companies like Tesco, which was totally ignored amidst the hysteria.

Which is why I posted this:

(09-12-2019, 08:18 AM)baggy1 Wrote: In the same way that £350m on the side of a bus should be taken in context, I would also look at this with scepticism. This is a very murky world that we are getting into and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that people with some money to invest can see that Brexit would cause some serious turbulence. It's not rocket science to see that, however saying that Boris and his cronies are deliberately driving the country to that position for that very reason is stretching it.

What I have tried to do throughout this is to understand what each side's point of view is and try and argue the point with fact or reason. This sort of shit from both sides doesn't help with a debate, it just digs trenches deeper. Social media has a lot to answer for in the current mess we are in.
(09-13-2019, 08:52 AM)baggy1 Wrote: What I have tried to do throughout this is to understand what each side's point of view is and try and argue the point with fact or reason. This sort of shit from both sides doesn't help with a debate, it just digs trenches deeper. Social media has a lot to answer for in the current mess we are in.

I'd say that - in that regard - this board is better than a lot of the exchanges you'll find on various other social media platforms.

My point was intended to be more about undue influence than the ethics of taking short positions on potentially disastrous outcomes. In my view - which is broadly, but not unequivocally remain - the mess that the CAP has become is a direct consequence of the landowning community having way too much access and influence; in the media, as well as in government.
(09-13-2019, 08:52 AM)baggy1 Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 08:42 AM)Malcolm Tucker Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 08:14 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 01:51 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Here you go the context to the original post
Here you go.

Another of your facts!

Which is why I didn’t post this with an endorsement simply the article the rumours were based on.

Should put it on the side of a bus etc.

Those articles about the short positions and the subsequent outrage are fucking hilarious, particularly as the majority of those getting themselves into a shit fit over something they don't understand often accuse anyone with a different opinion to them of being some type of moron. The one about Crispin Odey taking short positions on companies like The Royal Mail (like post isn't a dying game) also featured a small mention of him taking long positions on companies like Tesco, which was totally ignored amidst the hysteria.

Which is why I posted this:

(09-12-2019, 08:18 AM)baggy1 Wrote: In the same way that £350m on the side of a bus should be taken in context, I would also look at this with scepticism. This is a very murky world that we are getting into and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that people with some money to invest can see that Brexit would cause some serious turbulence. It's not rocket science to see that, however saying that Boris and his cronies are deliberately driving the country to that position for that very reason is stretching it.

What I have tried to do throughout this is to understand what each side's point of view is and try and argue the point with fact or reason. This sort of shit from both sides doesn't help with a debate, it just digs trenches deeper. Social media has a lot to answer for in the current mess we are in.

Yep. I was more referring to the outrage on Twitter than on here, which I should've made clearer tbf.
Agree MT, somehow we've got into a medieval position of believing anything that is posted on the internet if it matches our views. Nobody likes being wrong and therefore if they can find something to support their views, no matter how mad, then the message gets spread. The best (or worst) I've seen lately is the flat earth loonys, who are more convinced it is true because they have found more people like them. - Fuck Facts.
(09-13-2019, 10:39 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Agree MT, somehow we've got into a medieval position of believing anything that is posted on the internet if it matches our views. Nobody likes being wrong and therefore if they can find something to support their views, no matter how mad, then the message gets spread. The best (or worst) I've seen lately is the flat earth loonys, who are more convinced it is true because they have found more people like them. - Fuck Facts.

I’m no history buff but I don’t think they had the internet back in medieval times...
And that's where you are wrong - google it
(09-13-2019, 12:28 PM)baggy1 Wrote: And that's where you are wrong - google it

Think they only had Ask Jeeves back then.
(09-13-2019, 08:14 AM)WDerek Hardballs Wrote:
(09-12-2019, 01:51 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Here you go the context to the original post
Here you go.

Another of your facts!

Yeh! Like you post photos or cartoons with the statement “I’ll just leave this here”. You and all of us know what you are doing.
“Rumours”? Surely you mean facts. Facts from your experts.
(09-13-2019, 12:56 PM)John Osborne’s Knuckle Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 08:14 AM)WDerek Hardballs Wrote:
Here you go.

Another of your facts!

Yeh! Like you post photos or cartoons with the statement “I’ll just leave this here”. You and all of us know what you are doing.
“Rumours”? Surely you mean facts. Facts from your experts.

Happy to slate the the Brexit Company all day long
Christ will you pair get a room