Why would any Conservative vote against the government?
A telling stat was that there have been 3 times more government defeats for in 9 years for Cameron, May and Boris than there was in 30 years for Maggie, Major and Blair.
The video of the guy asking Boris why he isn’t in Brussels is funny but it raises a valid question... why is he on the campaign trail for an election that isn’t happening yet instead of being out there talking to them?
(09-06-2019, 01:32 PM)Duffers Wrote: The video of the guy asking Boris why he isn’t in Brussels is funny but it raises a valid question... why is he on the campaign trail for an election that isn’t happening yet instead of being out there talking to them?

That was the plan and he refuses to deviate.  Huh
(09-06-2019, 01:32 PM)Duffers Wrote: The video of the guy asking Boris why he isn’t in Brussels is funny but it raises a valid question... why is he on the campaign trail for an election that isn’t happening yet instead of being out there talking to them?

The thing I find baffling is Boris was adamant the Irish backstop had to come out of the deal. 
The Eu were willing to listen to a viable alternative. 
That's the last we heard. Has he got anything in mind, or is it all bluster again?
I would say you can’t continually lie and people still believe you but sadly most of the people who support him seem to be the epitome of Trump supporters and love been lied to.

Possibly because there is nothing to be gained from it. The EU have said they will not reopen the withdrawal agreement without significant change - and a new PM doesn't seem to be that to them.

While they are maintaining that line, I'd be surprised to see Boris engage with them.
"I'm not a nerd Bart. Nerds are smart"
(09-06-2019, 03:49 PM)Fall Out Boy Wrote:

Possibly because there is nothing to be gained from it. The EU have said they will not reopen the withdrawal agreement without significant change - and a new PM doesn't seem to be that to them.

While they are maintaining that line, I'd be surprised to see Boris engage with them.

We are (perhaps) leaving the EU the back stop was a U.K. solution to keep peace and financial stability between NI and Ireland which the ERG refused to back. The Brexit ahem sorry Tory party have painted themselves into a corner. It was /is upto us to come up with a new solution. The problem is us not the EU but some think we are in some bizarre Cold War with them. They will be playing air raid sirens at the Tory Conference if they get the opportunity.
That ball was always in our court, and the fact that it doesn't even seem to have been considered before the referendum tells it's own story about how thorough the planning and research was.

Any member state seceding from the EU would immediately create at least one land border with an EU member state, some multiple borders. Belgium - just as an example - would create three. It's hardly an issue that should have taken us by surprise.
(09-06-2019, 03:36 PM)tiptontown Wrote:

The thing I find baffling is Boris was adamant the Irish backstop had to come out of the deal. 
The Eu were willing to listen to a viable alternative. 
That's the last we heard. Has he got anything in mind, or is it all bluster again?

Didn't he agree with Merkel that he would find a viable solution for the Irish border issue within 30 days? That was 15 days ago and all he seems to have been doing is trying to plot a way of getting no deal to stay on the table. 

Seems to me that May's WA would have got through but for the backstop. If I'd have been the new PM, I'd have put all my energies and resources into finding a technological solution to demonstrate to Parliament that the backstop won't ever be needed.
To be honest, as much as I think Brexit has without doubt been a shambles, part of me hopes Johnson, by law, has to ask for an extension and the EU decides nah we'll settle for no deal thanks, bye. 

bored of the whole thing, there must be other stuff we could be getting on with.... 

Mind, I pissed off to China a while ago so I'm not massively being punished for the shambles