Ratings...
Think we need to get used to games like this at home. Lots of possession but that cutting edge still deserts us... we probably did enough to win the game, and a decent official would have given at least 1 of the other 2 penalty shouts, but Reading were organised and defended heroically.

For all our control of games, we still don’t quite get the ball into dangerous areas, and against sides that play a little defensively we need to sacrifice one of Krov, Livermore and Sawyers as there just aren’t enough goals in them. 

With Sawyers and Krov  we probably  have enough energy to go 4-4-2, especially as Phillips can tuck in and shift us into 433 if we’re getting overrun. 

As has been said, we’ll probably do a lot better away than at home playing this way, but we need to be a little more clinical.

Johnstone - 7 - no chance with the goal, nice distribution and came off his line!!

Furlong - 7 - I thought he did ok. Created probably our best chance in open play and balanced attacking and defending well. A few sloppy passes but did ok.
Ajayi - 7 composed and kept a tricky attacker quiet 
Bartley - 7 - one sloppy moment thatcould have put us in trouble but otherwise solid.
Gibbs - 6 - Bit of the Dawson from LY about him recently. Looks a little disinterested and looked wound up again after a silly booking.    

Sawyers - 8 - keeps everything ticking over - gave the ball away 4-5 times though! 
Livermore - 6 - game passed him by for spells and was definitely not as fast as the other two in MC. Ejeria gave him a tough day!

Phillips - first half 4/ second half 7 - came to life after a very poor first half.
Krovinovic - 8 - if he can add goals to his game we have a player. Fouled a lot and should have had a couple pens.
Diangana - 7 - tricky and pacy but better as an impact sub at the moment Austin - 6.5 - linkup play isn’t his strong point... we look more dangerous with Zohore. Would have liked to see them have 15 together 

Periera - 6 - frustrating and brilliant. Created 2 greatchances and then missed 2. Entertaining cameo.
Zohore - 7 - the ball sticks up top far better with him. Tidy pen too under pressure. 
Edwards - no time 

Bilic - 6 - thought Diangana went off too soon, Phillips should have gone for me... also would have preferred Livermore for Zohore instead of Austin.

Shame that the ref probably cost us 3 points, but 8 from 4 is a solid start.
Sawyers gave the ball away 4-5 times in as many minutes during the first half.

Big fan but he was off colour tonight.
To be honest I was quite heartened by the second half performance and I think there's plenty to look forward to
(08-21-2019, 09:18 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Think we need to get used to games like this at home. Lots of possession but that cutting edge still deserts us... we probably did enough to win the game, and a decent official would have given at least 1 of the other 2 penalty shouts, but Reading were organised and defended heroically.

For all our control of games, we still don’t quite get the ball into dangerous areas, and against sides that play a little defensively we need to sacrifice one of Krov, Livermore and Sawyers as there just aren’t enough goals in them. 

With Sawyers and Krov  we probably  have enough energy to go 4-4-2, especially as Phillips can tuck in and shift us into 433 if we’re getting overrun. 

As has been said, we’ll probably do a lot better away than at home playing this way, but we need to be a little more clinical.

Johnstone - 7 - no chance with the goal, nice distribution and came off his line!!

Furlong - 7 - I thought he did ok. Created probably our best chance in open play and balanced attacking and defending well. A few sloppy passes but did ok.
Bartley - 7 - one sloppy moment thatcould have put us in trouble but otherwise solid.
Gibbs - 6 - Bit of the Dawson from LY about him recently. Looks a little disinterested and looked wound up again after a silly booking.    

Sawyers - 8 - keeps everything ticking over - gave the ball away 4-5 times though! 
Livermore - 6 - game passed him by for spells and was definitely not as fast as the other two in MC. Ejeria gave him a tough day!

Phillips - first half 4/ second half 7 - came to life after a very poor first half.
Krovinovic - 8 - if he can add goals to his game we have a player. Fouled a lot and should have had a couple pens.
Diangana - 7 - tricky and pacy but better as an impact sub at the moment Austin - 6.5 - linkup play isn’t his strong point... we look more dangerous with Zohore. Would have liked to see them have 15 together 

Periera - 6 - frustrating and brilliant. Created 2 greatchances and then missed 2. Entertaining cameo.
Zohore - 7 - the ball sticks up top far better with him. Tidy pen too under pressure. 
Edwards - no time 

Bilic - 6 - thought Diangana went off too soon, Phillips should have gone for me... also would have preferred Livermore for Zohore instead of Austin.

and the half time entertainment?
Harsh on Jake, a 7 at least. Sawyers a 7, but what I liked about him was he did give the ball away 4 or 5 times in a few minutes, but kept going and eventually got his mojo back.
Marks too high for Sawyers who had an off night and Diangana who was wasteful. Pereira changed the game and Zohore came on and did well. Gibbs should be tearing this league apart but he absolutely stinks of Arsenal and is weak as piss.
(08-21-2019, 09:18 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Think we need to get used to games like this at home. Lots of possession but that cutting edge still deserts us... we probably did enough to win the game, and a decent official would have given at least 1 of the other 2 penalty shouts, but Reading were organised and defended heroically.

Edwards - no time 

About spot on those from what I saw, Thought Diangana was just finding his straps when he took him off, Phillips of the two should have gone IMO and also felt a front 2 may have caused them more trouble when we went behind

I think at home against sides who sit back we may have to play Filipe deeper and play another attack  indeed player off the striker and sacrifice Jake

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers
If that was Sawyers having an off night he maybe the best midfielder i’ll ever see play for Albion. Class act. Reminds me of Pirlo at Juve. Not taking those words in vain either I mean it. Krovinovic ian excellent too. Once the movement ahead of them sorts itself out there’s a massive massive pasting on the cards for someone.
Thought we deserved the win. Controlled the second half and Reading scored with their only attack.

Think the OP is harsh on Phillips and Livermore and generous to Sawyers. Furlong was very decent.

Johnstone - 7

Furlong - 7.5
Ajai - 7
Bartley - 7
Gibbs - 7

Sawyers - 7
Livermore - 7

Phillips - 7
Krovinovic - 8
Diangana - 7

Austin - 6

Pereira - 6.5
Zohore - 7.5
Edwards - 6.5

Bilic - 7
I think we’re very good apart from in either box! It took us ages to actually trouble there keeper with anything as we try to set up the perfect goal and walk it in. Our passing is quick and direct with plenty of zip about it all but we do sometimes turn back on the counter and let the opposition get back in. Also, tonight, why so many crosses against 3 centre backs with only Austin in the middle? When teams put 3 at the back, put 2 in the middle and play in the gaps.

We’ve got plenty of creativity in Edwards, Diangana, Phillips, Krovinovic and Pereira it seems. A couple of those Pereira passes were a different league and too clever maybe but it’ll come good when the players recognise his game better.

Wish we’d have signed Morrison on a free from Blues, thought he was very good for Reading.