Sheff Wed
(08-02-2020, 10:53 PM)Begley Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 10:09 PM)chasetownbaggie Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 09:15 PM)Begley Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 07:59 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 07:04 PM)Begley Wrote: They didn't break the rules, the rules permitted for sale of assets at a profit. Villa Park was sold, which is a loophole which should be closed, but it is not against P&S. The sale of training ground was for HS2, it was not through choice or looking for a loophole. All businesses and residential properties along the HS2 line did similarly. It also afforded Villa the ability to spend significant funds on redeveloping their training ground as these monies do not count towards P&S. The idea that Purslow has people in his pocket is rediculous imo, everything is accounted for and in the public domain and it is nearly impossible to hide things. Villa's owners are clever and clever people tend to employ clever and very capable people. That is just smart business, unlike the stupidity that is going on at Wednesday. An A level Accounting student would know the implications of recording the sale of their ground in the wrong calendar year.

As for Derby, it will be very difficult to prove the ground was not sold at fair market value. It is not like there are many like properties for comparison and they did get an 'independent' valuation which DCFC can and no doubt will claim that they acted in upmost good-faith with this. I fully expect DCFC to get no punishment.

I'm not so sure with Derby. £80m when West Ham's went for £40m, with property in Derby nowhere near comparable to London... Heck even Villa only sold theirs for £57m, again with property being massivley more expensive in Birmingham than in Derby.... They can have all the 'independent' valuations they like, there's no way on Earth it was worth £80m.

There are so many factors to be considered. Isn't Villa Park some sort of protected building? That would seriously devalue it as you can't simply level it and build a commercial property. It will be very difficult to prove a building was not worth within plus or minus 20m of the actual sale price. I agree DCFC's ground looks very overvalued but I believe it will be very difficult to prove this. And the fact that they got an independent valuation will surely help them. The can simply say they acted in good faith. If the EFL want to challenge this then they will have to prove that the valuer was either corrupt or incompetent. This is again, very difficult to prove

Didn't the valuations used by both Detby and Villa coincedentally just about cover the losses they incurred?  Dodgy

Villa hasn't released its accounts for that season yet, they are not due for publication until 2021, I am not sure but I believe DCFC is the same so we don't know. Wednesday's valuation was within 3m of the required amount they needed. Well, that is if they had of sold the ground in the previous financial year and reported honestly  Wink
The figures are disclosed every March to the EFL to ensure compliance for the current season.

It is possible that SW now have a "soft embargo" to prevent them from signing players. Blues breached theirs, which led to the shitstorm afterwards.
(08-03-2020, 12:13 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: The figures are disclosed every March to the EFL to ensure compliance for the current season.

It is possible that SW now have a "soft embargo" to prevent them from signing players. Blues breached theirs, which led to the shitstorm afterwards.

TBF to Sheffield Wednesday, they did have the crack team of Doc and Marty McFly doing their accounts, so they could actually be valid Wink
(08-02-2020, 07:52 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 07:04 PM)Begley Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 06:46 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 06:41 PM)Begley Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 06:02 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: You can say that again!

Villa probably didn't get charged as they didn't break P&S rules. There isn't a single suggestion from any source to say that Villa did similar to Sheffield Wed, similar too to Derby. Neither club have done what Wed have been found guilty of.

Exactly.

Unfortunately Villa “broke” the rules, but found a work around by selling their training ground land, and also seemingly massively increasing their academy spend. As has been mooted, they were on the brink financially before Safawis and Edens came in, and I imagine Purslow ensured a few favours would be called in to save the league the embarrassment of Villa going under due to their rules.

Villa also sold their ground at a fair market rate, unlike Derby, and accounted for it appropriately, unlike Wednesday. 

I would love the arrogantdeludedfisheatingsealcunts to come unstuck but their owners played a blinder in bringing Purslow and his little black book in.

They didn't break the rules, the rules permitted for sale of assets at a profit. Villa Park was sold, which is a loophole which should be closed, but it is not against P&S. The sale of training ground was for HS2, it was not through choice or looking for a loophole. All businesses and residential properties along the HS2 line did similarly. It also afforded Villa the ability to spend significant funds on redeveloping their training ground as these monies do not count towards P&S. The idea that Purslow has people in his pocket is rediculous imo, everything is accounted for and in the public domain and it is nearly impossible to hide things. Villa's owners are clever and clever people tend to employ clever and very capable people. That is just smart business, unlike the stupidity that is going on at Wednesday. An A level Accounting student would know the implications of recording the sale of their ground in the wrong calendar year.

As for Derby, it will be very difficult to prove the ground was not sold at fair market value. It is not like there are many like properties for comparison and they did get an 'independent' valuation which DCFC can and no doubt will claim that they acted in upmost good-faith with this. I fully expect DCFC to get no punishment.
This is how I see it, too.

Not sure if they would have passed FFP for season18-19 or 19-20 if they had not flunked promotion though. Parachutes were running out, and the wage bill was monumental. I think they would have had to sell Sealish to balance the books.

The main gripe I have is the ludicrous claim Villa spent over £10m on their academy during their promotion season to comply with FFP. There is absolutely no way they made that level of investment into their academy, that's about 15% if their total annual turnover.. we have a Cat 1 academy and spend around £2m on it for reference. Anyone who doesn't think Purslow's grubby hands pulled in several behind the scenes favours is deluded IMO.
(08-03-2020, 12:13 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 09:15 PM)Begley Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 07:59 PM)MassDebater Wrote: I'm not so sure with Derby. £80m when West Ham's went for £40m, with property in Derby nowhere near comparable to London... Heck even Villa only sold theirs for £57m, again with property being massivley more expensive in Birmingham than in Derby.... They can have all the 'independent' valuations they like, there's no way on Earth it was worth £80m.

There are so many factors to be considered. Isn't Villa Park some sort of protected building? That would seriously devalue it as you can't simply level it and build a commercial property. It will be very difficult to prove a building was not worth within plus or minus 20m of the actual sale price. I agree DCFC's ground looks very overvalued but I believe it will be very difficult to prove this. And the fact that they got an independent valuation will surely help them. The can simply say they acted in good faith. If the EFL want to challenge this then they will have to prove that the valuer was either corrupt or incompetent. This is again, very difficult to prove

Didn't the valuations used by both Detby and Villa coincedentally just about cover the losses they incurred?  Dodgy

Villa hasn't released its accounts for that season yet, they are not due for publication until 2021, I am not sure but I believe DCFC is the same so we don't know. Wednesday's valuation was within 3m of the required amount they needed. Well, that is if they had of sold the ground in the previous financial year and reported honestly  Wink
The figures are disclosed every March to the EFL to ensure compliance for the current season.

The figures that are released to the EFL in March are projected accounts and not the actual accounts, the final accounts will differ from these. The ones submitted in March are only to give the EFL an indication of the financial status and are not in the public domain. Next year Villa will publish their accounts for that financial year.
(08-03-2020, 09:48 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 07:52 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 07:04 PM)Begley Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 06:46 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 06:41 PM)Begley Wrote: Villa probably didn't get charged as they didn't break P&S rules. There isn't a single suggestion from any source to say that Villa did similar to Sheffield Wed, similar too to Derby. Neither club have done what Wed have been found guilty of.

Exactly.

Unfortunately Villa “broke” the rules, but found a work around by selling their training ground land, and also seemingly massively increasing their academy spend. As has been mooted, they were on the brink financially before Safawis and Edens came in, and I imagine Purslow ensured a few favours would be called in to save the league the embarrassment of Villa going under due to their rules.

Villa also sold their ground at a fair market rate, unlike Derby, and accounted for it appropriately, unlike Wednesday. 

I would love the arrogantdeludedfisheatingsealcunts to come unstuck but their owners played a blinder in bringing Purslow and his little black book in.

They didn't break the rules, the rules permitted for sale of assets at a profit. Villa Park was sold, which is a loophole which should be closed, but it is not against P&S. The sale of training ground was for HS2, it was not through choice or looking for a loophole. All businesses and residential properties along the HS2 line did similarly. It also afforded Villa the ability to spend significant funds on redeveloping their training ground as these monies do not count towards P&S. The idea that Purslow has people in his pocket is rediculous imo, everything is accounted for and in the public domain and it is nearly impossible to hide things. Villa's owners are clever and clever people tend to employ clever and very capable people. That is just smart business, unlike the stupidity that is going on at Wednesday. An A level Accounting student would know the implications of recording the sale of their ground in the wrong calendar year.

This is how I see it, too.

Not sure if they would have passed FFP for season18-19 or 19-20 if they had not flunked promotion though. Parachutes were running out, and the wage bill was monumental. I think they would have had to sell Sealish to balance the books.

The main gripe I have is the ludicrous claim Villa spent over £10m on their academy during their promotion season to comply with FFP. There is absolutely no way they made that level of investment into their academy, that's about 15% if their total annual turnover.. we have a Cat 1 academy and spend around £2m on it for reference. Anyone who doesn't think Purslow's grubby hands pulled in several behind the scenes favours is deluded IMO.

Where is the 10m claim coming from? Villa has not released its accounts from that season. I think the 10m number is related to the compensation for HS2, I believe the value of this was about 10m. Even if it was 10m spent, that is not a crazy amount to spend on a new training facility that has indoor and outdoor pitches and a 500 seat 'stadium'.  I suspect if they didn't get promoted then they would have been in a lot of trouble financially and they would have needed a firesale of players but the FFP has stated that Villa was compliant.
Why do you keep referring to Villa as ‘they’ rather than ‘we’, seeing as you’re a self admitted Villa fan from your posts on here last year?
(08-03-2020, 12:12 PM)Old Stroller Wrote: Why do you keep referring to Villa as ‘they’ rather than ‘we’, seeing as you’re a self admitted Villa fan from your posts on here last year?

I am my own person, Villa is a football club. what point are u trying to make? Would u prefer me to lower myself to the standards of many fans from every club? Is there something wrong with being a football supporter and interacting with others?
(08-03-2020, 12:38 PM)Begley Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 12:12 PM)Old Stroller Wrote: Why do you keep referring to Villa as ‘they’ rather than ‘we’, seeing as you’re a self admitted Villa fan from your posts on here last year?

I am my own person, Villa is a football club. what point are u trying to make? Would u prefer me to lower myself to the standards of many fans from every club? Is there something wrong with being a football supporter and interacting with others?

Oooh! Light blue touch paper and retire.
(08-03-2020, 12:42 PM)Brentbaggie Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 12:38 PM)Begley Wrote:

Oooh! claret and blue touch paper and retire.

corrected for you
(08-03-2020, 10:21 AM)Begley Wrote:
(08-03-2020, 12:13 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 09:15 PM)Begley Wrote: There are so many factors to be considered. Isn't Villa Park some sort of protected building? That would seriously devalue it as you can't simply level it and build a commercial property. It will be very difficult to prove a building was not worth within plus or minus 20m of the actual sale price. I agree DCFC's ground looks very overvalued but I believe it will be very difficult to prove this. And the fact that they got an independent valuation will surely help them. The can simply say they acted in good faith. If the EFL want to challenge this then they will have to prove that the valuer was either corrupt or incompetent. This is again, very difficult to prove

The figures that are released to the EFL in March are projected accounts and not the actual accounts, the final accounts will differ from these. The ones submitted in March are only to give the EFL an indication of the financial status and are not in the public domain. Next year Villa will publish their accounts for that financial year.

I know, it is based on a 9+3 forecast. This will be quite accurate because the levels of income are known, and the expenses (mainly wages) are quantifiable. And it is those forecasts that are tested, and will lead to a soft embargo if it is believed that the year end figures will breach FFP based on 2 years actuals, and the 9+3 forecast. 

Many teams will be fucked for the next test in March 2021, because they will have been unable to sell valuable assets after the season end to meet their accounting year end (30th June) obligations. You can expect to see plenty of sales in the EFL to regulate positions before you see purchases, and a number of clubs on business plans, the way that Blues were.