GB News
(06-16-2021, 04:23 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 02:00 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 01:39 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 10:24 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 09:07 AM)Sotv Wrote: It does look quite amateur but the fact that advertisers are pulling out for political reasons seems to give the founders point about cancel culture some legs.
I hope it gets it act together and grows, after all the BBC have been banging on about how good diversity is and here is a channel as different from the BBC agenda as you can get

Advertisers have currently pulled for a number of reasons. Some because they weren’t aware that the agency I assume that looks after their advertising had agreed they could be shown, others because they think the channel is not inclusive and doesn’t fit into their brands values. That’s their choice as a free market business rather than ahem ‘cancel’ culture. 

If a station is going to weaponise terms like ‘woke’ and have a echo-chamber of opinion where ‘alternative facts’ are normal then don’t be surprised if some businesses won’t endorse that brand / channel with their product. 

The idea that Sky and the BBC are the opposite end of spectrum of broadcasting in terms of news is daft. The opposite of GB news would be pro-republic, anti-monarch, Corbynite news agenda and have guest such as Owen Jones etc on every hour.

Cancel culture is the attempt to silence opinions you don't like via the threat of income removal.
 If you think removing advertising from a channel whose opinions you don't agree with doesn't fall into that category, then you are as deluded as those from B6. 
Think your last paragraph pretty much sums up C4 doesn't it?

Nope, no ones cancelling anyone, those companies are allowed to not advertise on a Channel they don't want to. GB arf 'News' is free to find other advertisers who are happy to work with them. 

Channel Four News simply holds this government to account, in a professional manner. The fact that the government won't allow ministers to appear on Channel Four News says all you need to know about this governments willingness to be scrutinised. If you want to go down the wanky cancel culture nonsense, are the government not trying to cancel Channel Four News by not allowing access to the cabinet? They are public figures not private sector businesses, they are accountable to all not just those who voted for them. It only ever seems to be cancel culture when it's about punching down not up.

you have to think why they wont advertise though, and it has more to do with the amount of noise that will come from the social media warriors than anything else. 
Good to see you now backing the free market and raw capitalism though Derek, always knew you were a selfish Tory at heart!

I think one look and listen to the channel is all many brands need to do to make their own minds up. They don’t need A SM warrior to tell them.
(06-16-2021, 10:24 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 09:07 AM)Sotv Wrote: It does look quite amateur but the fact that advertisers are pulling out for political reasons seems to give the founders point about cancel culture some legs.
I hope it gets it act together and grows, after all the BBC have been banging on about how good diversity is and here is a channel as different from the BBC agenda as you can get

Advertisers have currently pulled for a number of reasons. Some because they weren’t aware that the agency I assume that looks after their advertising had agreed they could be shown, others because they think the channel is not inclusive and doesn’t fit into their brands values. That’s their choice as a free market business rather than ahem ‘cancel’ culture. 

If a station is going to weaponise terms like ‘woke’ and have a echo-chamber of opinion where ‘alternative facts’ are normal then don’t be surprised if some businesses won’t endorse that brand / channel with their product. 

The idea that Sky and the BBC are the opposite end of spectrum of broadcasting in terms of news is daft. The opposite of GB news would be pro-republic, anti-monarch, Corbynite news agenda and have guest such as Owen Jones etc on every hour.

Cancel culture is the attempt to silence opinions you don't like via the threat of income removal.
 If you think removing advertising from a channel whose opinions you don't agree with doesn't fall into that category, then you are as deluded as those from B6. 

Nope, no ones cancelling anyone, those companies are allowed to not advertise on a Channel they don't want to. GB arf 'News' is free to find other advertisers who are happy to work with them. 

Channel Four News simply holds this government to account, in a professional manner. The fact that the government won't allow ministers to appear on Channel Four News says all you need to know about this governments willingness to be scrutinised. If you want to go down the wanky cancel culture nonsense, are the government not trying to cancel Channel Four News by not allowing access to the cabinet? They are public figures not private sector businesses, they are accountable to all not just those who voted for them. It only ever seems to be cancel culture when it's about punching down not up.

you have to think why they wont advertise though, and it has more to do with the amount of noise that will come from the social media warriors than anything else. 
Good to see you now backing the free market and raw capitalism though Derek, always knew you were a selfish Tory at heart!

(06-16-2021, 01:59 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Also. What is 'woke' and what's so bad about being fair and  kind to everyone? Is it better to be misogynistic, homophobic, racist or transphobic for example. Do people want to be allowed to be that? If so I get it. It reiterates why I hate the human race as much as I do, but at least I get it.

well for me "woke" is people being social conformists and denigrating anyone who has a different opinion.
It's lazily assuming those booing taking the knee are racist and its lazily accepting that those taking the knee are doing so primarily as a gesture against racism and not just conforming to what is expected of them. 
It's sharing petitions to tear down statues from your macbook whilst safely sat in your local artisnal coffee shop and ignoring the horrific rates of knife crime within some communities. 

Even your question has elements of woke attack. Implicit in it is an assumption that the none woke are misogynistic, homophobic, racist or transphobic, i.e. if you don't agree with us, then you will be one of them, otherwise why would you bother using those terms?

There is nothing kind or fair about digging through past social media posts and attempting to get people the sack because your opinion differs from theirs.
There is nothing kind and fair about labelling people who voted differently to you as thick racists and there is nothing kind and fair about encouraging the kind of attacks and social media mob hunts that sometimes result in serious mental health consequences for those targeted

Certainly agree on the last paragraph there, don't think any of that behaviour helps any situation. 

But I get called woke, as an insult because I simply believe pointing out injustices and unfairness in society that needs to be fixed. That people are all essentially equal, regardless of colour, race, religion, sexuality, gender or sex.

I don't even demand removal of speech I dislike, I prefer to talk and discuss, hence for so long I let so much slide on here, only recently realising that humans actually suck, they do. And because of that they need strong rules and control.
Have they got Alan Partridge presenting?

https://twitter.com/jimmfelton/status/14...88583?s=21
(06-16-2021, 05:56 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 10:24 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Advertisers have currently pulled for a number of reasons. Some because they weren’t aware that the agency I assume that looks after their advertising had agreed they could be shown, others because they think the channel is not inclusive and doesn’t fit into their brands values. That’s their choice as a free market business rather than ahem ‘cancel’ culture. 

(06-16-2021, 01:59 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Also. What is 'woke' and what's so bad about being fair and  kind to everyone? Is it better to be misogynistic, homophobic, racist or transphobic for example. Do people want to be allowed to be that? If so I get it. It reiterates why I hate the human race as much as I do, but at least I get it.

well for me "woke" is people being social conformists and denigrating anyone who has a different opinion.
It's lazily assuming those booing taking the knee are racist and its lazily accepting that those taking the knee are doing so primarily as a gesture against racism and not just conforming to what is expected of them. 
It's sharing petitions to tear down statues from your macbook whilst safely sat in your local artisnal coffee shop and ignoring the horrific rates of knife crime within some communities. 

Even your question has elements of woke attack. Implicit in it is an assumption that the none woke are misogynistic, homophobic, racist or transphobic, i.e. if you don't agree with us, then you will be one of them, otherwise why would you bother using those terms?

There is nothing kind or fair about digging through past social media posts and attempting to get people the sack because your opinion differs from theirs.
There is nothing kind and fair about labelling people who voted differently to you as thick racists and there is nothing kind and fair about encouraging the kind of attacks and social media mob hunts that sometimes result in serious mental health consequences for those targeted

Certainly agree on the last paragraph there, don't think any of that behaviour helps any situation. 

But I get called woke, as an insult because I simply believe pointing out injustices and unfairness in society that needs to be fixed. That people are all essentially equal, regardless of colour, race, religion, sexuality, gender or sex.

I don't even demand removal of speech I dislike, I prefer to talk and discuss, hence fir so long I let so much slide on here, only recently realising that humans actually suck, they do. And because of that they need strong rules amd control.

Like any term,  especially one used to denigrate, it is hugely misused. Also, one person's woke is another's social injustice. 
I'm happy to debate any ideas but what we have seen of.late is a huge increase in attempts to no platform, cancel and harass those whose ideas don't fit in with a certain narrative. 
It's this that has caused a lot.of bitterness and angry debate along with the fact that on both sides  but especially from the "woke", nuanced discussion has been replaced with name calling such as racist, transphobe etc. I often say calling someone a racist is sometimes the left equivalent of the right calling someone a nonce, it's usually an attempt to label someone with the worst thing you can with very little basis.
The whole "humans suck" thing is really based in the same.kind of judgemental elitist snobbery so beloved of the "woke". Are you, your Mrs or friends awful people that suck or are you somehow different? 
What makes you different, that you hold "better" moral views ?  It's a dangerous view that ultimately leads to the logic of totalitarianism. 
Sure, some people are cunts but in my experience people generally want to do right by their fellow man.
Honestly, maybe I'm just unlucky, but my experience of society is hugely negative.

I've had every car I've owned vandalised and damaged, due to a weak ankle I trip over fairly often, a couple of times I've struggled to get back up and walk, not once have I been offered a hand, laughed at fairly often.

I've said on here how I had hundreds of pounds worth of miniatures trashed by a group of people because it was funny to them. When my eczema was bad and blood regularly seeped through my clothes, or pouring down my arms, I was teased and humiliated rather than given any sympathy.

I saw my granddads wife stand by the side if the road, looking after me and my brother waving for help as my Grandad sat dead in the car, no one stopped.

Society sucks, or has a massive hatred of me. For what it's worth, despite this I'm the opposite. I've gone out my way to help people when I can.
(06-16-2021, 01:12 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 10:03 AM)DJPunkRoc Wrote: Out of interest, where do you buy your homewares, Proth?

Lee Longlands. 

Leave it...
Thumbs Down 
The thing with cancel culture or no platforming is that everyone does it all the time, only one side complains about it.

So for example if left wing opinions are excluded from newspapers such as the Mail or Telegraph, are they being cancelled or are the newspapers exercising their freedom to publish what they want.

If a programme like Till death do us part or the Daily Mash are cancelled is it because they are the victims of a political backlash or have they just run out of ideas and no longer warrant re commissioning. 

If someone continually makes offensive remarks, such as the rapper Wiley did, when they are kicked off social platforms such as twitter, is he cancelled or are twitter protecting their other customers and their own commercial interests.

In this country we thankfully have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean you will be protected from the consequences if what you say offends people.

You can tell someone you hate them,but don't  get all precious about being cancelled if they never want to talk to you again.

When people talk about cancel culture, what they want is the right to be offensive, which is ok, but what they also want is for there to be no consequence to being offensive . Well that's not how real life works.
(06-16-2021, 06:30 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Honestly, maybe I'm just unlucky, but my experience of society is hugely negative.

I've had every car I've owned vandalised and damaged, due to a weak ankle I trip over fairly often, a couple of times I've struggled to get back up and walk,  not once have I been offered a hand, laughed at fairly often.

I've said on here how I had hundreds of pounds worth of miniatures trashed by a group of people because it was funny to them. When my eczema was bad and blood regularly seeped through my clothes, or pouring down my arms, I was teased and humiliated rather than given any sympathy.

I saw my granddads wife stand by the side if the road, looking after me and my brother waving for help as my Grandad sat dead in the car, no one stopped.

Society sucks, or has a massive hatred of me. For what it's worth, despite this I'm the opposite. I've gone out my way to help people when I can.

Think some of it may be down to age . I've a 13 Yr old lad and it seems at that age they are all horrible to each other. Luckily my lad is quite quick with comebacks and can also stand his ground when needed. Just today he got into an altercation with some tit in his early 20's and still managed a put down and to outsmart the lad. 
Stuff like the falling over can be difficult, I sometimes hesitate to offer a disabled person a hand in case my offer of help is seen as patronising.
To counter your points I've had strangers offer me real kindness when I was at my lowest.
(06-16-2021, 07:08 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 06:30 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Honestly, maybe I'm just unlucky, but my experience of society is hugely negative.

I've had every car I've owned vandalised and damaged, due to a weak ankle I trip over fairly often, a couple of times I've struggled to get back up and walk,  not once have I been offered a hand, laughed at fairly often.

Think some of it may be down to age . I've a 13 Yr old lad and it seems at that age they are all horrible to each other. Luckily my lad is quite quick with comebacks and can also stand his ground when needed. Just today he got into an altercation with some tit in his early 20's and still managed a put down and to outsmart the lad. 
Stuff like the falling over can be difficult, I sometimes hesitate to offer a disabled person a hand in case my offer of help is seen as patronising.
To counter your points I've had strangers offer me real kindness when I was at my lowest.

That's good to hear. 

It is a bit of my usual hyperbole by the way when I say people suck, I think generally peoe just want to get on with their lives and don't really pay attention to what's going on around them, sadly too many are just horrible scum, just my luck that's the type I encounter too often. Especially having lived in Bodmin, the shithole of Cornwall for so long!

However yeah, society has rarely been good to me. However despite that, in reality I put it down to my chronic bad luck rather than people really being bastards.
The technical side at present leaves a lot to be desired

However its interesting to hear a different point of view without automatically being labelled x y or z