GB News
(06-16-2021, 02:53 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 02:33 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 02:27 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 01:59 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Also. What is 'woke' and what's so bad about being fair and  kind to everyone? Is it better to be misogynistic, homophobic, racist or transphobic for example. Do people want to be allowed to be that? If so I get it. It reiterates why I hate the human race as much as I do, but at least I get it.

Been asking this myself for a while. Not had an answer yet.

Same.

Basically as far as I can tell, people don't like being called out for their shitty ideas and comments. 

I've said things that weren't very kind, and certainly non woke, whatever it means. I learn from it and don't say it again amd apologise if necessary. It's not hard

I probably am, in the eyes of a few on here “woke” possibly even a “woke twat”. I’m not screaming for TV shows from 30 years ago to be cancelled because they made a joke about black people once, nor do I believe in punishing people for comments or tweets made a decade ago without context. But I do pull people up on comments or views that I don’t think are acceptable in 2021, partly because I feel it’s the right thing to do, but also because I enjoy boiling gammon piss a little….

Thing is though I genuinely do not believe the majority of people are racist in any way, but I do feel that a lot of people feel uncomfortable when issues such as race are brought up. Most of us on here are white, male and straight, we’ve never really have to deal with any serious “isms” in our lives. Throughout history we are the group that have pretty much had it all our own way, and whether directly or indirectly we have benefited from a series of systems and biases that work in our favour. I think a lot of people are unprepared to or uncomfortable with admitting and acknowledging that fact, especially now that the areas of society that were previously marginalised are pushing for a little more equality.

The other issue IMO, is that it’s 2021 now and there are things and words and behaviours that were socially acceptable in the 70’s/80’s/90’s that are no longer. Again, I’m not calling for any of that to be airbrushed but there needs to be an acceptance of that was then and this is now. Some people seem to be personally challenged and affronted by the fact that you can’t say “faggot” any more or similar. It’s born out of a desire to stay in their own little bubbles and not accept that the world has changed.

Agree with this.
The whole culture wars is born out of people determined to not accept the pace of change. I’m finding it both embarrassing and funny to watch latter day self proclaimed rebels like Daltrey, Noel Gallagher, Ian Brown and Phil Lydon start becoming everything they allegedly stood against as young people. They seem to think they are still rebelling but in reality they are no more rebellious than their parents generation, scared of change and trying to turn the clock back.
(06-16-2021, 03:05 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 02:27 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 01:59 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Also. What is 'woke' and what's so bad about being fair and  kind to everyone? Is it better to be misogynistic, homophobic, racist or transphobic for example. Do people want to be allowed to be that? If so I get it. It reiterates why I hate the human race as much as I do, but at least I get it.

Been asking this myself for a while. Not had an answer yet.

Same.

Basically as far as I can tell, people don't like being called out for their shitty ideas and comments. 

I've said things that weren't very kind, and certainly non woke, whatever it means. I learn from it and don't say it again amd apologise if necessary. It's not hard

I probably am, in the eyes of a few on here “woke” possibly even a “woke twat”. I’m not screaming for TV shows from 30 years ago to be cancelled because they made a joke about black people once, nor do I believe in punishing people for comments or tweets made a decade ago without context. But I do pull people up on comments or views that I don’t think are acceptable in 2021, partly because I feel it’s the right thing to do, but also because I enjoy boiling gammon piss a little….

Thing is though I genuinely do not believe the majority of people are racist in any way, but I do feel that a lot of people feel uncomfortable when issues such as race are brought up. Most of us on here are white, male and straight, we’ve never really have to deal with any serious “isms” in our lives. Throughout history we are the group that have pretty much had it all our own way, and whether directly or indirectly we have benefited from a series of systems and biases that work in our favour. I think a lot of people are unprepared to or uncomfortable with admitting and acknowledging that fact, especially now that the areas of society that were previously marginalised are pushing for a little more equality.

The other issue IMO, is that it’s 2021 now and there are things and words and behaviours that were socially acceptable in the 70’s/80’s/90’s that are no longer. Again, I’m not calling for any of that to be airbrushed but there needs to be an acceptance of that was then and this is now. Some people seem to be personally challenged and affronted by the fact that you can’t say “faggot” any more or similar. It’s born out of a desire to stay in their own little bubbles and not accept that the world has changed.

Agree with this.

Even the “woke twat” bit?
I think any side of the argument that resorts to name calling just looks daft, be that woke twat or gammon. Woke must surely offend / upset insomniacs and gammon probably offends vegans, the mods ought to outlaw it along with N****

Nancy is what I asterisked out!
(06-16-2021, 03:18 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 03:05 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 02:27 PM)Duffers Wrote: Been asking this myself for a while. Not had an answer yet.

Same.

Agree with this.

Even the “woke twat” bit?

Especially that bit!

Seriously though, good post.
In the form of his life.
Change will happen, but i believe its best for things to happen gradually, or organically. It wasn't all that long ago that people like my old man were basically pigeonholed at 11yrs old. My old man was told at that age that he and his type will only ever be good enough for factory labour. So guess what? Thats all he did. Nowadays anyone can get anywhere if you're good enough. There are still some dinosaurs who think women or black people shouldn't be in the boardroom or the bowling club or whatever, but they'll soon be extinct, the same as those who thought the 'working class' were just that, and shouldn't be given an opportunity to better themselves.
(06-16-2021, 03:28 PM)MrFizz Wrote: Change will happen, but i believe its best for things to happen gradually, or organically. It wasn't all that long ago that people like my old man were basically pigeonholed at 11yrs old. My old man was told at that age that he and his type will only ever be good enough for factory labour. So guess what? Thats all he did. Nowadays anyone can get anywhere if you're good enough. There are still some dinosaurs who think women or black people shouldn't be in the boardroom or the bowling club or whatever, but they'll soon be extinct, the same as those who thought the 'working class' were just that, and shouldn't be given an opportunity to better themselves.

I'd say the working class part of your assertation is the biggest hurdle to be overcome. There are policies in place to give Women / Ethnic people jobs that they may not be the best qualified to do, but as far as I am aware there are no policies to actively give jobs to those born in the lower echelons of society.
I would consider myself left of centre, avowedly anti-racist and generally opposed to prejudice.

But while I respect the rights of trans people to change their names and be addressed as they wish, I still think there needs to be female only refuges, sports and prisons. If I request a female doctor, then it should be a female. All of those are my rights under the Equality Act 2010 and until the last few years, where not at all controversial.

I do not ever want to be referred to as cervix haver/uterus haver/vagina owner or bleeder as those are grossly dehumanising terms which are also inexplicable to women with learning disabilities or limited English.

And yet for those opinions, women are sacked, deplatformed and abused by those who supposedly consider themselves "woke". So that's why some have an issue with it.

JK Rowling wrote her feelings on these issues and there was a twitter trend calling for her death amongst huge amounts of other abuse: 
https://medium.com/@rebeccarc/j-k-rowlin...8e01dca68d

Another author, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie said she felt trans women were trans women (as opposed to women) and in addition to a massive backlash had people saying the death of her parents was "punishment for her transphobia".

That brings me to my next point. If you aren't on social media that much, you are missing the way a strain of woke ideology is akin to a religion. It has priests, dogma, litanies that must be frequently recited. But unlike most religions absolutely no forgiveness for those deemed to have transgressed.
Good post Squid. As a regular radio 4 listener myself, the one thing they get mullered over, time and again, is the trans issue. They're a vociferous bunch! I will admit here that while I've a lifetimes experience of races, gay people and religious causes, thus giving me some understanding, I had no strong feelings about trans issues. Whatever the reasons, there is no way IMO, men of any description should be in women's prisons, sports or toilets.
(06-16-2021, 02:00 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 01:39 PM)Sotv Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 10:24 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 09:07 AM)Sotv Wrote: It does look quite amateur but the fact that advertisers are pulling out for political reasons seems to give the founders point about cancel culture some legs.
I hope it gets it act together and grows, after all the BBC have been banging on about how good diversity is and here is a channel as different from the BBC agenda as you can get

Advertisers have currently pulled for a number of reasons. Some because they weren’t aware that the agency I assume that looks after their advertising had agreed they could be shown, others because they think the channel is not inclusive and doesn’t fit into their brands values. That’s their choice as a free market business rather than ahem ‘cancel’ culture. 

If a station is going to weaponise terms like ‘woke’ and have a echo-chamber of opinion where ‘alternative facts’ are normal then don’t be surprised if some businesses won’t endorse that brand / channel with their product. 

The idea that Sky and the BBC are the opposite end of spectrum of broadcasting in terms of news is daft. The opposite of GB news would be pro-republic, anti-monarch, Corbynite news agenda and have guest such as Owen Jones etc on every hour.

Cancel culture is the attempt to silence opinions you don't like via the threat of income removal.
 If you think removing advertising from a channel whose opinions you don't agree with doesn't fall into that category, then you are as deluded as those from B6. 
Think your last paragraph pretty much sums up C4 doesn't it?

Nope, no ones cancelling anyone, those companies are allowed to not advertise on a Channel they don't want to. GB arf 'News' is free to find other advertisers who are happy to work with them. 

Channel Four News simply holds this government to account, in a professional manner. The fact that the government won't allow ministers to appear on Channel Four News says all you need to know about this governments willingness to be scrutinised. If you want to go down the wanky cancel culture nonsense, are the government not trying to cancel Channel Four News by not allowing access to the cabinet? They are public figures not private sector businesses, they are accountable to all not just those who voted for them. It only ever seems to be cancel culture when it's about punching down not up.

you have to think why they wont advertise though, and it has more to do with the amount of noise that will come from the social media warriors than anything else. 
Good to see you now backing the free market and raw capitalism though Derek, always knew you were a selfish Tory at heart!

well for me "woke" is people being social conformists and denigrating anyone who has a different opinion.
It's lazily assuming those booing taking the knee are racist and its lazily accepting that those taking the knee are doing so primarily as a gesture against racism and not just conforming to what is expected of them. 
It's sharing petitions to tear down statues from your macbook whilst safely sat in your local artisnal coffee shop and ignoring the horrific rates of knife crime within some communities. 

Even your question has elements of woke attack. Implicit in it is an assumption that the none woke are misogynistic, homophobic, racist or transphobic, i.e. if you don't agree with us, then you will be one of them, otherwise why would you bother using those terms?

There is nothing kind or fair about digging through past social media posts and attempting to get people the sack because your opinion differs from theirs.
There is nothing kind and fair about labelling people who voted differently to you as thick racists and there is nothing kind and fair about encouraging the kind of attacks and social media mob hunts that sometimes result in serious mental health consequences for those targeted