Night car cruising in the Black Country - WTF??
(04-01-2020, 01:32 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 12:26 PM)WWHO Wrote: Like all rebellious youth cultures, they get confiscated and then diluted by the mainstream. Skate parks in the UK today have become a hub for middle-class toffs being closely watched by their paranoid parents. Vans are more likely to be worn by the school bully than the 'grebo'.

I assume there's still a 'lowriding' culture amongst young Latinos.  In the mid-2000s I worked on la frontera whilst volunteering with no mas muertes and some of the contraptions local youths drove were batshit crazy.

Wow. It sounds like you actually DID the stuff I was DEFINITELY GOING TO DO after I'd had a few drinks and wanted to make the world a better place. Until I woke up the next day...

Did you ever meet Luis Urrea? He was associated with them wasn't he?

I did meet him a couple of times in Phoenix/Tuscon.  I was part of a group protesting Bush's Secure Fence Act (another populist politician pandering to right wing conservatives by promising a wall) and he was a keen advocate of our work.  I'd already read the brilliant yet disturbing A Devil's Highway and had had the misfortune of stumbling on the bodies of two indocumentados whilst filling up water tanks in the Naco sector with Humane Borders.  It's tough place, both sides of the divide.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Night car cruising in the Black Country - WTF?? - by WWHO - 04-01-2020, 02:08 PM