Night car cruising in the Black Country - WTF??
I came across this court case as I was looking for summat else:

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2020/759.html

Basically, injunction sought by Black Country councils against nuisance driving/cruising at night on car parks, indutrial estates etc and a nuisance/racket being made and with police resources stretched at the current time.  Court issues injunction but what is this "cruising"??  Is it chavs?
I was an expert witness on case presided over by HHJ Worster in 2018. He seemed an eminently sensible chap.
They do it over in LA. I think it's the modern day equivalent of borrowing your moms car, winding down the windows, turning up the volume to a distorted wail and going to the local shopping centre car-park to pose. After a while, you'd pool your few coppers together to share a bag of chips with your mates.

Now, though, they have their own second hand hatchbacks so they can piss about ruining their tyres doing 'donuts' and lowering the value of their cars by putting on tacky after-market modifications.

It sort of makes sense on a warm night in California, but on a gloomy industrial estate in walsall when it's pissing down in rain? But hey, kids will be kids...in the late 80's early 90s we probably held warehouse parties in the very same industrial estates. This is probably better for the police, but I can't help feel a little disappointed in the youth that this is all they could come up with....
(04-01-2020, 11:02 AM)hudds Wrote: I came across this court case as I was looking for summat else:

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2020/759.html

Basically, injunction sought by Black Country councils against nuisance driving/cruising at night on car parks, indutrial estates etc and a nuisance/racket being made and with police resources stretched at the current time.  Court issues injunction but what is this "cruising"??  Is it chavs?

Chavs who seem to be able to spend loads of money on doing up their cars, so that they are even louder and more obnoxious than usual. That's the cars, I don't think it's possible to make the chavs even louder or more obnoxious. It's been going on for years, they think they're in that shitty movie franchise The Wank and the Wankers, or Fast and Furious as some call it. Solihull council has a few areas with car cruising injunctions in place, pretty sure The Black Country New Road has also had an injunction in place for years too.

I did hear that they had still been having their 'meets' in spite of the lockdown rules...
It's basically youfs driving round in the evening usually in tarted up small engined cars. Been going on for many years. Cannock suffered first in my memory. Goes back to the days of Merry Hill centre opening. They used to race round there then cruise the carriageways to and from it. That was why the gates were installed to keep them off at night.
(04-01-2020, 11:19 AM)Baggiejacko Wrote: It's basically youfs driving round in the evening usually in tarted up small engined cars. Been going on for many years. Cannock suffered first in my memory. Goes back to the days of Merry Hill centre opening. They used to race round there then cruise the carriageways to and from it. That was why the gates were installed to keep them off at night.

Exactly this. Except our generation would have added a bit of ram-raiding to the mix! Remember whan all those bollards came in? They all appeared on every retail park across the country in the space of about a month!
(04-01-2020, 11:15 AM)fuzzbox Wrote: They do it over in LA. I think it's the modern day equivalent of borrowing your moms car and going to the local shopping centre carpark to pose, maybe whilst pooling your coppers together to share a bag of chips with your mates.

Now, though, they have their own second hand hatchbacks so they can piss about ruining their tyres doing 'donuts' and lowering the value of their cars by putting on tacky after-market modifications.

It sort of makes sense on a warm night in California, but on a gloomy industrial estate in walsall when it's pissing down in rain? But hey, kids will be kids...in the late 80's early 90s we probably held warehouse parties in the very same industrial estates. This is probably better for the police, but I can't help feel a little disappointed in the youth, that this is all they could come up with....

"Cruising culture" in the U.S., particularly California and parts of the now rust belt, dates back to the 1950s.  When I lived in coal cracker country in PA local museums/heritage centres celebrated the post-war youth culture of lowriders and cruisers.

Like you say, cruising down Whittier Blvd. in a Cadillac Eldorado is a tad cooler than speeding along the Black Country route in a sup'ed up Vauxhall Corsa.
(04-01-2020, 11:32 AM)WWHO Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 11:15 AM)fuzzbox Wrote: They do it over in LA. I think it's the modern day equivalent of borrowing your moms car and going to the local shopping centre carpark to pose, maybe whilst pooling your coppers together to share a bag of chips with your mates.

It sort of makes sense on a warm night in California, but on a gloomy industrial estate in walsall when it's pissing down in rain? But hey, kids will be kids...in the late 80's early 90s we probably held warehouse parties in the very same industrial estates. This is probably better for the police, but I can't help feel a little disappointed in the youth, that this is all they could come up with....

"Cruising culture" in the U.S., particularly California and parts of the now rust belt, dates back to the 1950s.  When I lived in coal cracker country in PA local museums/heritage centres celebrated the post-war youth culture of lowriders and cruisers.

Like you say, cruising down Whittier Blvd. in a Cadillac Eldorado is a tad cooler than speeding along the Black Country route in a sup'ed up Vauxhall Corsa.

In LA, I live in Burbank. One of the places they go is a shopping mall near me. You're right about heritage - people my age say it's not as good as it was! Now they have taco stands, takeaways all around the edges of the car park. People take their kids! Not exactly the rebellious scene it's supposed to be! Maybe it's different in the Latino areas.
I dont think its unfair to say that cruising is chavs or more that its something that could be pretty harmless is ruined by the great unwashed.

As a petrolhead, I have mixed views on this. I used to go out in Digbeth 20+ years ago before it got out of hand and started attracting idiots racing the police in stolen cars. The same (older) faces can now be seen at places like caffeine and machine, shelby walsh and such like.
(04-01-2020, 11:37 AM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(04-01-2020, 11:32 AM)WWHO Wrote:

In LA, I live in Burbank. One of the places they go is a shopping mall near me. You're right about heritage - people my age say it's not as good as it was! Now they have taco stands, takeaways all around the edges of the car park. People take their kids! Not exactly the rebellious scene it's supposed to be! Maybe it's different in the Latino areas.

Like all rebellious youth cultures, they get confiscated and then diluted by the mainstream. Skate parks in the UK today have become a hub for middle-class toffs being closely watched by their paranoid parents. Vans are more likely to be worn by the school bully than the 'grebo'.

I assume there's still a 'lowriding' culture amongst young Latinos.  In the mid-2000s I worked on la frontera whilst volunteering with no mas muertes and some of the contraptions local youths drove were batshit crazy.