Getting the health message through to the masses will be so difficult
(03-22-2020, 06:37 PM)MassDebater Wrote: The taking a walk thing isn't bad per se, as long as you follow the guidelines... It's when people go out and treat it like a Bank Holiday. I've seen photos of thousands of people gathered at the seaside or at Snowdonia, they are the twats.

This (behaviour) will be the key to what comes next; I doubt the government really wants to impose martial law called by a slightly more euphemistic name. Supermarkets are still allocating priority slots for elderly and vulnerable customers, which suggests an expectation that some in those categories will be turning up. Indeed some may have no other options.

I'd like to think that the majority of people are capable of identifying a middle way between hysteria and recklessness; we'll soon find out if that optimism is justified. Walking with an element of social distancing is second nature to us, so there's not much of an adjustment needed there; it's not particularly difficult to find a bit of space, and it's in everyones' interests to do so.

The Snowdonia thing is just perplexing: why gravitate towards the crowds in a place with so many possibilities for escape? 

Stay well, everybody. Or at least give yourselves the best chance.
Being out on the streets and even daring to walk/run past someone else isn’t going to do any harm. As said by everyone else, it’s the fucking mongs who are congregating in large numbers in tourist traps that are the problem.
(03-22-2020, 08:32 PM)Duffers Wrote: Being out on the streets and even daring to walk/run past someone else isn’t going to do any harm. As said by everyone else, it’s the fucking mongs who are congregating in large numbers in tourist traps that are the problem.

+1
(03-22-2020, 07:08 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 05:14 PM)Deeleys Wrote: The problem is all politicians are liars and they’ve cried wolf so many times with Ebola, SARS, swine flu etc; nobody believes a word they say anymore!

Can't believe this stupid statement hasn't been challenged. So here we go. Nobody "cried wolf" with ebola, SARS or swine flue. Just like the "millenium bug" which some folk think was a fuss about nothing. What happened was that people dealt with it, put appropriate measures in place. What we have now is a virus that travels extremely efficiently, a social-media-driven world in which we all expect a long and healthy life, and some proper twats in positions of power in many countries world-wide.

In the Hall of Fame of politicians' lies, things that annoy me more than ebola etc. are:

"Fear of terror!!"
"Weapons of mass destruction"
"Fear of debt!!"
"No, there will not be a customs border in the Irish Sea".

All somewhat over-stated, but they seem to have got away with it.  Big Grin
I’ve worked in IT since 1993 and am an IT Director. We put nothing in place for the millennium bug and nothing stopped. The computers carried on working fine. I recall a year or so back that the news was saying Ebola was going to spread around the world and kill many and before that SARS and also swine flu. Did it happen, No. So in my eyes that is crying wolf.  I am not saying this doesn’t exist, but I also don’t actually know anyone who has got this. I know a lot of people and myself who have had heavy colds lately, so maybe it manifests itself different in different people.  I will adhere to the rules, but until I see if for myself, I will question everything.  I don’t trust the news or politicians.
(03-22-2020, 09:47 PM)Deeleys Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 07:08 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 05:14 PM)Deeleys Wrote: The problem is all politicians are liars and they’ve cried wolf so many times with Ebola, SARS, swine flu etc; nobody believes a word they say anymore!

Can't believe this stupid statement hasn't been challenged. So here we go. Nobody "cried wolf" with ebola, SARS or swine flue. Just like the "millenium bug" which some folk think was a fuss about nothing. What happened was that people dealt with it, put appropriate measures in place. What we have now is a virus that travels extremely efficiently, a social-media-driven world in which we all expect a long and healthy life, and some proper twats in positions of power in many countries world-wide.

In the Hall of Fame of politicians' lies, things that annoy me more than ebola etc. are:

"Fear of terror!!"
"Weapons of mass destruction"
"Fear of debt!!"
"No, there will not be a customs border in the Irish Sea".

All somewhat over-stated, but they seem to have got away with it.  Big Grin
I’ve worked in IT since 1993 and am an IT Director. We put nothing in place for the millennium bug and nothing stopped. The computers carried on working fine. I recall a year or so back that the news was saying Ebola was going to spread around the world and kill many and before that SARS and also swine flu. Did it happen, No. So in my eyes that is crying wolf.  I am not saying this doesn’t exist, but I also don’t actually know anyone who has got this. I know a lot of people and myself who have had heavy colds lately, so maybe it manifests itself different in different people.  I will adhere to the rules, but until I see if for myself, I will question everything.  I don’t trust the news or politicians.

Or health professionals, or death counts or people who have had it.
Wake me up when the season starts back. I’m out!!!
(03-22-2020, 09:57 PM)Deeleys Wrote: Wake me up when the season starts back. I’m out!!!

You’re determined to be ignorant I’ll give you that.
(03-22-2020, 10:00 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 09:57 PM)Deeleys Wrote: Wake me up when the season starts back. I’m out!!!

I wouldn’t call it ignorance Derek, I’m just not going to live my life in fear. I’m going to stay calm and if the worse happens then I’ll deal with it.

You tell everyone to carry on as normal after terror attacks.
(03-22-2020, 11:16 PM)4-hero Wrote:

You tell everyone to carry on as normal after terror attacks.
So little in the news affects us, but think this is one that does. It’s one hell of a conspiracy theory if false. How about the ones here who have NHS working staff in the hospitals give us the view. Perhaps Deeleys may be more convinced then. 
I’m all for questioning politicians but think this one is one I’ll be one of the gullible masses.