Running Clique
I’m always running late does this apply in anyway
(01-30-2019, 10:08 AM)Pertensio Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 09:36 AM)Duffers Wrote: Another thread to resurrect.

Three months till the marathon and training isn’t going badly. Running up to 15 miles at weekends.

I started doing C25K, then Parkrun, now got a 10k to do in May. Regularly run 5-8K

Weird thing is....On training runs I feel like I literally can't go on up until about the 5k mark when I suddenly get energy. It's like the longest warm-up known to man. Is this unusual? If I'm running on my own, I do.....give up!

Can I join the running clique please?

As a former runner...

It is all about the rhythm you get in.

I found it impossible to consciously switch off; but as soon as I switched off, somewhere where the mind was thinking about summat else, the running was easy.

Also, as a former runner, my advice would be, don't.

You only have one set of useful knees, and running kills 'em.

You'll find out, soon enough.

(01-30-2019, 03:37 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 01:49 PM)Lightnin Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 12:19 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 10:23 AM)Lightnin Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 10:08 AM)Pertensio Wrote: I started doing C25K, then Parkrun, now got a 10k to do in May. Regularly run 5-8K

Weird thing is....On training runs I feel like I literally can't go on up until about the 5k mark when I suddenly get energy. It's like the longest warm-up known to man. Is this unusual? If I'm running on my own, I do.....give up!

No, this isn't unusual, especially during the colder conditions. The more you run you'll probably find that the time where you want to give up shortens to maybe 1 mile. It's just your body trying to get used of the constant movement from standing still and this is one of the reasons why people say you should always properly warm up to get you going a little bit.

As for my running, I've just started back. Injuries really took their toll on me last year but after a lot of proper help which I badly needed, I feel like I'm on the road to recovery but 3 mile is my limit at the moment as I don't want to rush back.

Good work on milegae Duffers, you'll be fine for April at that rate even though it does slowly creep up on you.

Cheers Mon, got a couple of halfs in the next month (Brighton and Big London) which should help get me race ready too.

Need to start thinking about fuelling, I can run a half without having to worry too much about it but as soon as I get to 12-14 miles I crash.

You need to start fuelling from 6 miles mate, get the stuff inside you at regular intervals to give it chance to do its stuff. This isn't just training your legs but training your guts too, you body will need to understand digestion whilst other muscles are being used without giving you cramps.

Any tips/suggestions mon? Had a look online and it’s mostly baffling. 

Currently running twice a week - 10k on a Tuesday then a big one on Saturday mornings. Going to start  eating properly before I go out on a Saturday morning - porridge or somesuch and plan to look into Slucozade drinks along the way - there’s a shop about 7 miles along the route which is perfect as I don’t want to have to carry stuff for too long.

Pasta is the stuff you need, but the night before.

I suspect I could never have finished a Snickers, I think they call it now, because they start at some nonsense time in the morning.

I'd've needed to get up at half past the night before, and had at least two shits

Metabolism, you see.

I did, however, run one arf marathon by meself, deliberately sloowing down from the pace I was used to, comfortable with, at six moiles

It was easy

And I started late afternoon

Shits already had
(01-30-2019, 03:37 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 01:49 PM)Lightnin Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 12:19 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 10:23 AM)Lightnin Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 10:08 AM)Pertensio Wrote: I started doing C25K, then Parkrun, now got a 10k to do in May. Regularly run 5-8K

No, this isn't unusual, especially during the colder conditions. The more you run you'll probably find that the time where you want to give up shortens to maybe 1 mile. It's just your body trying to get used of the constant movement from standing still and this is one of the reasons why people say you should always properly warm up to get you going a little bit.

As for my running, I've just started back. Injuries really took their toll on me last year but after a lot of proper help which I badly needed, I feel like I'm on the road to recovery but 3 mile is my limit at the moment as I don't want to rush back.

Good work on milegae Duffers, you'll be fine for April at that rate even though it does slowly creep up on you.

Cheers Mon, got a couple of halfs in the next month (Brighton and Big London) which should help get me race ready too.

Need to start thinking about fuelling, I can run a half without having to worry too much about it but as soon as I get to 12-14 miles I crash.

You need to start fuelling from 6 miles mate, get the stuff inside you at regular intervals to give it chance to do its stuff. This isn't just training your legs but training your guts too, you body will need to understand digestion whilst other muscles are being used without giving you cramps.

Any tips/suggestions mon? Had a look online and it’s mostly baffling. 

Currently running twice a week - 10k on a Tuesday then a big one on Saturday mornings. Going to start  eating properly before I go out on a Saturday morning - porridge or somesuch and plan to look into Slucozade drinks along the way - there’s a shop about 7 miles along the route which is perfect as I don’t want to have to carry stuff for too long.

This marathon training isn't about how far you go on one run at the moment but how far you go in a week, that mileage will gradually increase every week until eventually you find yourself doing about 35 mile one week including a much larger weekend final practice run before you taper and this is what you're building up to now. It doesn't matter about a 10k on a Tuesday and a longer run on a Sunday as long as that longer run takes place. My advise would be to look at training programs online but do remember that they are only guides but mix up what you do. For example, it wouldn't hurt for you to go swimming or on a cross trainer or just a walk instead. Hal Higdon is very good and you can find lots of stuff for all levels on his site. I think more than twice a week would be needed though but it's all gradual, don't go mad or you will get injured.

The problem is that there are no shortcuts on Marathon training, you can get away with it during halfs but risk it on a full marathon and it will catch you out, it will hurt and mark my words, you'll know about a different kind of fatigue. The refuelling is so important, I can't stress enough how much you must do it and must try it during your training to make sure you are ok with it. There is no point trying something new on the day and finding you reacting in a way that gives you the shits.

You can check out a lot of nutrition advice on Anita Beans website, just google her. She's an award winning sports nutrionist and gives lots of hints about whats needed. It's also important to refuel quickly after long runs, I always had bagels as well as my SIS stuff that replaced electrolytes. As for Lucozade, its just sugar and fast acting, it will help with a quick fatigue fix but its not quite the answer. Look at gels or caffiene gum which I know some runners swear by.

If I can help in any way with advice then just ask, I know there were a few others on the old board that will also have some sound advice.

There's a book on Amazon avaiable called "Me, you and 26.2" which is meant to be good, she's an American lady named Denise Sauriol.
Does Anita Beans do other food, too?
(01-31-2019, 01:12 PM)bayliss Wrote: Does Anita Beans do other food, too?

Just beans, 57 varieties.
Cheers for the advice Lightnin, will have a look on t’interweb.
I bet none of you have faced this issue on any of your training runs:

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-02-06/runn...-colorado/

To be fair when I'm sprinting (OK plodding) up the Norton Road, it's not come into play yet. At least there's some handy tips included in the unlikely event that it does ever happen.
(01-31-2019, 02:15 AM)bayliss Wrote:

Pasta is the stuff you need, but the night before.

I suspect I could never have finished a Snickers, I think they call it now, because they start at some nonsense time in the morning.

I'd've needed to get up at half past the night before, and had at least two shits

Metabolism, you see.

I did, however, run one arf marathon by meself, deliberately sloowing down from the pace I was used to, comfortable with, at six moiles

It was easy

And I started late afternoon

Shits already had

Sounds like me, apart from I've never run a half marathon.  Can't run more than a few k without needing a good dump.

(02-06-2019, 03:31 PM)ElbowGrease1973 Wrote: I bet none of you have faced this issue on any of your training runs:

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-02-06/runn...-colorado/

To be fair when I'm sprinting (OK plodding) up the Norton Road, it's not come into play yet. At least there's some handy tips included in the unlikely event that it does ever happen.

The runner got lucky there, this cyclist not so much - https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Moun...814215.php
Had a really good week - 10.7 miles after work on Tuesday then 15.8 today. Been working on my fuelling, ate a bowl of porridge an hour and a half before going out and bought a bottle of Lucozade half way round then had a few swings every 2.5 miles. Had more energy, which is good, but I did start getting cramp in my calves after about 14 miles. Need to look at that.
(02-09-2019, 03:22 PM)Duffers Wrote: Had a really good week - 10.7 miles after work on Tuesday then 15.8 today. Been working on my fuelling, ate a bowl of porridge an hour and a half before going out and bought a bottle of Lucozade half way round then had a few swings every 2.5 miles. Had more energy, which is good, but I did start getting cramp in my calves after about 14 miles. Need to look at that.

Did you drink alcohol last night? The problem with lucozade too is that it's just sugar, it's not really hydrating. It also might be you adjusting to your nutrition before you run. Try it again next week but drink plenty of water through the week.