Running Clique
Another thread to resurrect.

Three months till the marathon and training isn’t going badly. Running up to 15 miles at weekends.
This thread should bring Nick out of the woodwork.
(01-30-2019, 09:36 AM)Duffers Wrote: Another thread to resurrect.

Three months till the marathon and training isn’t going badly. Running up to 15 miles at weekends.

I started doing C25K, then Parkrun, now got a 10k to do in May. Regularly run 5-8K

Weird thing is....On training runs I feel like I literally can't go on up until about the 5k mark when I suddenly get energy. It's like the longest warm-up known to man. Is this unusual? If I'm running on my own, I do.....give up!

Can I join the running clique please?
(01-30-2019, 10:08 AM)Pertensio Wrote:

I started doing C25K, then Parkrun, now got a 10k to do in May. Regularly run 5-8K

Weird thing is....On training runs I feel like I literally can't go on up until about the 5k mark when I suddenly get energy. It's like the longest warm-up known to man. Is this unusual? If I'm running on my own, I do.....give up!

No, this isn't unusual, especially during the colder conditions. The more you run you'll probably find that the time where you want to give up shortens to maybe 1 mile. It's just your body trying to get used of the constant movement from standing still and this is one of the reasons why people say you should always properly warm up to get you going a little bit.

As for my running, I've just started back. Injuries really took their toll on me last year but after a lot of proper help which I badly needed, I feel like I'm on the road to recovery but 3 mile is my limit at the moment as I don't want to rush back.

Good work on milegae Duffers, you'll be fine for April at that rate even though it does slowly creep up on you.
(01-30-2019, 10:23 AM)Lightnin Wrote:

No, this isn't unusual, especially during the colder conditions. The more you run you'll probably find that the time where you want to give up shortens to maybe 1 mile. It's just your body trying to get used of the constant movement from standing still and this is one of the reasons why people say you should always properly warm up to get you going a little bit.

As for my running, I've just started back. Injuries really took their toll on me last year but after a lot of proper help which I badly needed, I feel like I'm on the road to recovery but 3 mile is my limit at the moment as I don't want to rush back.

Good work on milegae Duffers, you'll be fine for April at that rate even though it does slowly creep up on you.

Cheers Mon, got a couple of halfs in the next month (Brighton and Big London) which should help get me race ready too.

Need to start thinking about fuelling, I can run a half without having to worry too much about it but as soon as I get to 12-14 miles I crash.
I've just started running. I aim to do a half marathon by the end of the year, i think that is feasible and i've got a 10k booked for April. I'm just about able to do 5k at the moment so i'm hoping i will improve soon.
I also get that horrible feeling of wanting to quit after about 5 minutes, feel ok for a bit but then feel knackered again after about 15 minutes. I suppose its just a case of building myself up to running a decent distance.
I am also finding running outside to be much more difficult than using a treadmill, despite me putting the treadmill on an incline.
(01-30-2019, 12:19 PM)Duffers Wrote:

Cheers Mon, got a couple of halfs in the next month (Brighton and Big London) which should help get me race ready too.

Need to start thinking about fuelling, I can run a half without having to worry too much about it but as soon as I get to 12-14 miles I crash.

You need to start fuelling from 6 miles mate, get the stuff inside you at regular intervals to give it chance to do its stuff. This isn't just training your legs but training your guts too, you body will need to understand digestion whilst other muscles are being used without giving you cramps.
I am on week 9 on C25K, finding it a struggle. I see other runners fly by like they are floating on air. Its quite depressing really. I carry a few extra pounds so guess that doesn't help but hoping it will drop in time. Signed up to the bham 10k in may as motivation
(01-30-2019, 01:49 PM)Lightnin Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 12:19 PM)Duffers Wrote:

You need to start fuelling from 6 miles mate, get the stuff inside you at regular intervals to give it chance to do its stuff. This isn't just training your legs but training your guts too, you body will need to understand digestion whilst other muscles are being used without giving you cramps.

Any tips/suggestions mon? Had a look online and it’s mostly baffling. 

Currently running twice a week - 10k on a Tuesday then a big one on Saturday mornings. Going to start  eating properly before I go out on a Saturday morning - porridge or somesuch and plan to look into Slucozade drinks along the way - there’s a shop about 7 miles along the route which is perfect as I don’t want to have to carry stuff for too long.

I am exactly the same mate either 5 miles or 45 mins and then it seems so more comfortable abit like getting into an old 70s car with the  choke  on once it gets warmed up its fine Smile