These Environmental nutters
(04-19-2019, 09:05 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: It's easy to have a snipe about these people or their trainers but seems to miss the key point.
We are destroying the planet, governments worldwide (including our own) are at best paying lip service as the vested interest of the big corporations pull the strings
Can't believe anybody in their right mind is happy to let this continue.
This is not about the polymer some protestors shoes are made from or whether the protestors are middle class FFS!
While I completely agree with some of the above and while it's great that we are all talking about it.... A couple of things if I may.... 

How many of these protesters drink coffee which is imported across the world. 

How many of them buy their children plastic toys which are discarded so easily and end up in landfill. Don't get me started on loom band and slime. 
How many of them fly across the world to find themselves in Thailand and the like. 

How many of them eat things which are out of season. . Even if they are vegan they are still having things exported round the world. 

How many of them use gas to heat their homes. 
While it's brilliant all this is getting talked about there are steps we could all do to help. 

That said even if the entire of the UK went carbon neutral over night... What we would, would pale into insignificance compared with the footprint of the USA or China or India for that matter. 

No matter what we do we are over the edge and there's no going back. 

People are too selfish. They want their coffee, palm oil in their products and to fly off to some jungle to see the last of a species with irony being that they are part of the problem.
(04-19-2019, 09:27 AM)Launcestonbaggy Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 09:05 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: It's easy to have a snipe about these people or their trainers but seems to miss the key point.
We are destroying the planet, governments worldwide (including our own) are at best paying lip service as the vested interest of the big corporations pull the strings
Can't believe anybody in their right mind is happy to let this continue.
This is not about the polymer some protestors shoes are made from or whether the protestors are middle class FFS!
While I completely agree with some of the above and while it's great that we are all talking about it.... A couple of things if I may.... 

How many of these protesters drink coffee which is imported across the world. 

How many of them buy their children plastic toys which are discarded so easily and end up in landfill. Don't get me started on loom band and slime. 
How many of them fly across the world to find themselves in Thailand and the like. 

How many of them eat things which are out of season. . Even if they are vegan they are still having things exported round the world. 

How many of them use gas to heat their homes. 
While it's brilliant all this is getting talked about there are steps we could all do to help. 

That said even if the entire of the UK went carbon neutral over night... What we would, would pale into insignificance compared with the footprint of the USA or China or India for that matter. 

No matter what we do we are over the edge and there's no going back. 

People are too selfish. They want their coffee, palm oil in their products and to fly off to some jungle to see the last of a species with irony being that they are part of the problem.

While I completely agree with some of the above I do feel that some people are really addressing these areas now. That is what has come across from some of the extremely articulate representatives I have heard interviewed on TV and radio over the last few days 
The key thing to me is that the protestors are behaving very well on the whole and gaining public support. They are also unashamedly raising the issues on a headline basis. Surely a good thing in the current climate (bo pun intended).
The UK has cleaner air today than a 100 years ago. It's getting cleaner every year. We have the fastest declining CO2 emissions of virtually any nation. What it is you think the Government isn't doing? As for gluing yourself to the DLR (the cleanest transport method in London bar cycling) you really couldn't make it up.
I suppose they will drive back home in their range rovers when they get bored ,then they can get on with trying to stop brexit
(04-19-2019, 11:07 AM)Mickyfudge Wrote: I suppose they will drive back home in their range rovers when they get bored ,then they can get on with trying to stop brexit
I suppose sadly this is the very definition of prejudice.
You don't agree with someone, so they must be tannoy-hating remoaners who drive range rovers...

Try using facts in an argument.
(04-19-2019, 11:07 AM)Mickyfudge Wrote: I suppose they will drive back home in their range rovers when they get bored ,then they can get on with trying to stop brexit

Can you just explain, as a fellow citizen of the planet who may have (or plan to have) children, why what these people are doing has antagonised you so much?
Has anybody asked them exactly what it is that they want the UK government to do?
(04-19-2019, 11:26 AM)TETLEY74 Wrote: Has anybody asked them exactly what it is that they want the UK government to do?

I guess to revert to Cameron's pledges on renewable energy resources and ban the completely unnecessary fracking would be a decent start.
CO2 causing global warming - cut all the trees down and kill all the plants then....sorted. It's the biggest load of bollocks IMO....I've got an issue of Life Magazine from the mid 70's that states that during the 2000's we would see an new Ice age amongst other apocalyptic claims.
Are you gonna give your car up and stop going abroad ,most of them are hypocrites like Emma Thomson who’s flown in from America to protest