The most balanced football we’ve played since….
I’m not. Yep, well, posh side of Edgbaston in a private cul de sac unless he’s moved.

Didn’t quite appreciate at that age what walking into a kitchen with Giles, Hunter and Styles sat at the table meant in footballing magnitude. Probably a good thing.

Huge shame second spell didn’t work out. Wasn’t backed on signing the likes of Ray Houghton for 50k. Right guy, wrong place, wrong time.
Someone could have been killed
(01-14-2024, 09:30 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: I’m not. Yep, well, posh side of Edgbaston in a private cul de sac unless he’s moved.

Didn’t quite appreciate at that age what walking into a kitchen with Giles, Hunter and Styles sat at the table meant in footballing magnitude. Probably a good thing.

Huge shame second spell didn’t work out. Wasn’t backed on signing the likes of Ray Houghton for 50k. Right guy, wrong place, wrong time.

My dad’s best mate knew the Giles family well. 
Giles is purely the reason I became Albion. I supported Leeds as a young kid and my dad has no interest whatsoever in football until Giles took over at Albion. 
I think becoming Albion in 75 was a curse as it spoilt me. By the time I left school, in the year you started going up, I’d seen the Giles promotion a great first season back where we walloped Man U 4-0 and had a great comeback to beat Spurs 4-2. Then we had the Atkinson era with Europe and regular top 6 finishes. 
In the 42 years since we’ve never attained the level of success as I saw as a child when we finished top 7 on 4 occasions and had three campaigns to Europe.
His two older lads used to turn out for our Sunday team. Good players but nowhere near what that fella had on the pitch

I suppose in a lesser way anyone who started watching is around 98 has found the past few years hard work. For me other than the Bruce era it’s still a million miles from the mid 80s
Someone could have been killed
I haven’t seen Giles in Harborne who did play a similar way to Carlos, but Cyrille used to Be on the Harborne High St regular it’s my neck of the woods. I think he lived in Edgbaston.
Ardiles liked to play a possession based game also.