How do explain school is important to young people anymore?
I don't believe I am, and I believe I'm being supported by the emerging evidence. Closing the schools will be seen as the biggest social policy disaster of the decade.
Emerging evidence that only looks at the wrong area isn’t really much use. It’s like saying all squirrels are grey cos you’ve never seen a red one.
Someone could have been killed
(01-08-2024, 02:54 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: Emerging evidence that only looks at the wrong area isn’t really much use. It’s like saying all squirrels are grey cos you’ve never seen a red one.

Given that in the UK circa 150,000 are red versus 2.5m grey then that would be almost correct.
What really fucks me off is that you see mainstream TV things like, Dubai Bling, House Wives of <Insert Posh Place Name>, Married to <Insert A Rich C*nt's Profession>, that the yoof of today are predominantly watching as their outlet of how the outside world works, and then the program/show flashes up the persons name and occupation on that program, and it states things like: Socialite, Influencer, VLogger, Fashionista. These aren't fucking jobs. They are millennials or GenCunt's, earning or trying to earn money by doing the least amount of work possible. They are unproductive unreciprocated non-roles in society and most of the innocent yoof of today watch these and think they can easily go out and become these people and or live those lifestyles. These fucking reality c*nt shows are also to blame rather than blaming an MP or a Banker - who actually may do some work or did to get where they are/where.

Instead of a keyboard and a mobile phone, I will be giving my children a pen, a book, sitting them on a CBR 250 and see what happens. Thems me onions.
(01-08-2024, 02:54 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: Emerging evidence that only looks at the wrong area isn’t really much use. It’s like saying all squirrels are grey cos you’ve never seen a red one.

That's a matter of opinion, not of evidence.
(01-08-2024, 03:01 PM)Fido Wrote:

Given that in the UK circa 150,000 are red versus 2.5m grey then that would be almost correct.

Almost correct is the theme of the whole thread

Sounds like Harry and Meghan's kids.
Maybe someone at some point will think about the really novel idea of asking the kids why school is such a turn off and what things make it seem unimportant to them. I do, but not many seem to have had that brainwave just yet. Arrogance at its finest

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...aying-away

Bang on cue, someone actually getting near to the truth

You could learn a lot in 2 minutes here Proth
(01-08-2024, 11:42 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: This is shamelessly stolen from James O’Brien. If you have a bright child who is switched on to the world, how exactly do you argue that to get on in this country you have to be honest, competent, hard working and kind/thoughful/empathetic? Or that there is more to life than the greed and the accumulation of wealth? 

Over the last decade what evidence is there that any of the above are worth bothering to do? You can lie with impunity, not give a damn about anyone else, be barely competent whether a politician, or public/private sector boss, be a bully and thrive. Then you have the vacuous message that only money and who your friends are can determine your worth to society, and that you should trample on anyone who gets in your way. 

This is not a post about lockdowns etc as that’s been done to death. This is about the message that’s been given out by those who are now pontificating to others about attendance, hardwork and ‘doing the right thing’.

I'd say Ted Maul has called it correctly. It is all about setting an example. It is my experience that those that steal their wealth or abuse their position are rarely happy. I've met many such in my life and they are all a pretty miserable bunch. There is a mental effect that goes with being a twat, a sort of inevitable karma. It is actually easier to go through life doing the right thing, and if nothing else, you won't get the plod bashing your door down at 5AM.
(01-08-2024, 04:04 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: Maybe someone at some point will think about the really novel idea of asking the kids why school is such a turn off and what things make it seem unimportant to them. I do, but not many seem to have had that brainwave just yet. Arrogance at its finest

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...aying-away

Bang on cue, someone actually getting near to the truth

You could learn a lot in 2 minutes here Proth

Much to agree with in there too CF.

Let's just agree that neither us believe uber-CUNT James O'Brien has anything relevant to add to the debate.