Play-off Winners
All this proves is the play-offs are pretty-much a lottery- they are cup ties between equal teams. A proper bad day and you've had it- like Blues a few years back when they got tonked by Blackpool or Barnsley or someone like that. Despite what some are saying it seems clear we don't have it in us to get above 4th as we haven't shown the consistency. Equally, we don't look likely to drop more than one place as we have such a buffer. It is almost certain that we will play Villa in my opinion.
That I don't relish at the moment, but in a month's time it might be very different.

Just checked it was Barnsley, 0-4 at St Andrews and it was 19 years ago. God I feel my age.
(04-09-2019, 01:24 PM)Albion Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 01:21 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 01:14 PM)Albion Wrote: Great. That should be the Albion DNA then. For me we aren’t a fan base that would get behind building it from the back. As has been shown this season. We are a team that should built in the mould of a 4-2-3-1. A DOF should dictate our playing style and purchase players accordingly. If you look at the last 20 years our relative success has come from that shape and having less than 50% of the ball.

Over 46 games that type of football wouldn’t win promotion, only have to look at our home form post Barnes to see that, however a three game knock out it probably would give us the best chance.

Also, I think it’s important our side going into the playoffs contains as many players who will be here next season as possible. Promotion means little or nothing to the loanees, whereas it has huge financial benefits to the core of our side... even Barry probably stands a better chance of another 12 months if we go up over if we don’t.

If doubling your wages, plus a huge bonus isn’t incentive enough for this lot to dig in for 270 minutes I don’t know what is...

Interesting points. I have to say IMO the Loan players have bought into the club. I can’t label that at any of them. The stand outs of course who are still here are Holgate and Gayle.

Out of interest how would you set up then? Something like this...

Johnstone

Dawson
Bartley
Hegazi
Gibbs

Livermore
Barry

Phillips
Rodriguez
Brunt

Gayle

?

I’ve never been convinced by Holgate, I think he is far too inconsistent and I don’t think we can rely on him going 3 games without one poor showing. Similarly I feel Rodriguez slows us down too much, and whilst his work rate is commendable, that can be replaced by HRK with more of a cohesive team threat.

Gayle - whilst on loan - will probably be here next season regardless as Newcastle want Rondon, so I don’t really see him as a loanee. 

I’d go 4-4-2:

Johnstone

Gibbs
Hegazi
Bartley
Dawson

Brunt
Barry
Livermore
Phillips

HRK
Gayle 

The bulk of that side kept clean sheets against Spurs and at OT not 12 months ago.
(04-09-2019, 01:36 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 01:14 PM)Albion Wrote: Great. That should be the Albion DNA then. For me we aren’t a fan base that would get behind building it from the back. As has been shown this season. We are a team that should built in the mould of a 4-2-3-1. A DOF should dictate our playing style and purchase players accordingly. If you look at the last 20 years our relative success has come from that shape and having less than 50% of the ball.

Over 46 games that type of football wouldn’t win promotion, only have to look at our home form post Barnes to see that, however a three game knock out it probably would give us the best chance.

Also, I think it’s important our side going into the playoffs contains as many players who will be here next season as possible. Promotion means little or nothing to the loanees, whereas it has huge financial benefits to the core of our side... even Barry probably stands a better chance of another 12 months if we go up over if we don’t.

If doubling your wages, plus a huge bonus isn’t incentive enough for this lot to dig in for 270 minutes I don’t know what is...

Interesting points. I have to say IMO the Loan players have bought into the club. I can’t label that at any of them. The stand outs of course who are still here are Holgate and Gayle.

Johnstone

Dawson
Bartley
Hegazi
Gibbs

Livermore
Barry

Phillips
Rodriguez
Brunt

Gayle

?

I’ve never been convinced by Holgate, I think he is far too inconsistent and I don’t think we can rely on him going 3 games without one poor showing. Similarly I feel Rodriguez slows us down too much, and whilst his work rate is commendable, that can be replaced by HRK with more of a cohesive team threat.

Gayle - whilst on loan - will probably be here next season regardless as Newcastle want Rondon, so I don’t really see him as a loanee. 

I’d go 4-4-2:

Johnstone

Gibbs
Hegazi
Bartley
Dawson

Brunt
Barry
Livermore
Phillips

HRK
Gayle 

The bulk of that side kept clean sheets against Spurs and at OT not 12 months ago.

Fair enough SW4. I just don’t think HRK has the same impact starting games as he does coming on. He’d be someone I always bring on around the 60 minute mark. As for Rodriguez, he’s our best penalty taker which makes him irreplaceable IMO
(04-09-2019, 01:38 PM)Albion Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 01:36 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Johnstone

Dawson
Bartley
Hegazi
Gibbs

Livermore
Barry

Phillips
Rodriguez
Brunt

Gayle

?

I’d go 4-4-2:

Johnstone

Gibbs
Hegazi
Bartley
Dawson

Brunt
Barry
Livermore
Phillips

HRK
Gayle 

Fair enough SW4. I just don’t think HRK has the same impact starting games as he does coming on. He’d be someone I always bring on around the 60 minute mark. As for Rodriguez, he’s our best penalty taker which makes him irreplaceable IMO

In fairness when we were playing out from the back, HRK wouldn’t really be used anyway, but it’s a fair point.

IMO Gayle can take a penalty as well as JRod, but given JRod hadn’t missed til Saturday there wasn’t much reason to move him off it.

JRod can come on for the last 20 and bang a pen in in the shootout Wink
Bump