Suella Braverman
(09-28-2023, 01:55 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Good luck with securing the borders too. 

I never claimed that was possible.

What we really need is to ensure the asylum system is fit for purpose. We also need to ensure those who're capable are put to work rather than rotting in hotels and reception centres, it's not like there's no work to do - and if you're motivated enough to put your life at risk to get on a boat then I'm sure you're motivated enough to work for a living.
(09-28-2023, 02:02 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-28-2023, 01:55 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote: Good luck with securing the borders too. 

What we really need is to ensure the asylum system is fit for purpose. We also need to ensure those who're capable are put to work rather than rotting in hotels and reception centres, it's not like there's no work to do - and if you're motivated enough to put your life at risk to get on a boat then I'm sure you're motivated enough to work for a living.

Your second paragraph, in total agreement.

And I doubt you would find any disagreement from asylum seekers.
(09-27-2023, 06:32 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-26-2023, 06:05 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: Yes yes I know it should be on the politics board.

But fuck me, I've just listened to her speech. The Enoch Powell of the 2020s

Angela Merkel - German multiculturalism has 'utterly failed'

French President Nicolas Sarkozy has declared 'multiculturalism a failure'

David Cameron has criticised "state multiculturalism" 

Was Enoch Powell channeled for any of those three, or are we just reserving it for the brown one?

It's probably worth pointing out that Merkel changed her stance on that dramatically in the years after she was quoted (2010) - see the Syrian open door immigration to Germany as an example. Are we expecting Suella to have a similar road to Damascus (no irony intended) moment
(09-28-2023, 02:02 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

Hope you saw the fellas that had been granted right to work (one after a 6 year wait) on the news yesterday only to be kicked out into a tent after 7 days now that this has been reduced from 28 days grace to get your affairs in order once asylum is granted. All the bloke wanted to do was to work but may as well have been jettisoned onto a slagheap.
Someone could have been killed