Suella Braverman
(09-28-2023, 10:18 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: A solution to current global migration today would be to redress the vast economic inequalities that exist between different countries.

Ah, making the rich poorer. Good luck with that.
(09-27-2023, 07:58 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-27-2023, 06:49 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: The funny thing is, part of Bravermans whole shoddy and transparent self image is in part being the one who says these things despite her heritage. It's without doubt a self-serving and manipulative strategy but one that she may believe has worked for her. It is also a facade that she isnt smart enough to maintain as well as she may like to think.

I'm amazed that a bloke who has frequently told us of your own views and friendship groups including people of a range of backgrounds and sexualities would be anything other than deeply disturbed by her use of gay people for dog whistle politics.

1.5% of applications for asylum have any reference of basis in sexuality - if anything, lower than what you would typically find as a constant of people that would describe this as other than heterosexual across most societies where it is not persecuted or inhibited. So in fact, it is very much hard to see why it would be pinpointed as a central focus for any other reason than what it really was.

I was responding to the specific reference to Enoch Powell.

I don't believe Angela Merkel was accused of being a racist, nor Sarkozy (though his country is deeply, deeply racist), nor Cameron.

I happen to disagree very strongly with the Home Secretary on the treatment of homosexuals (and most women) from godforsaken fascist desert states. But that wasn't the point I was responding to, was it?

I'm not sure what the point is? Braverman isn't racist because others haven't been accused of it?
Someone could have been killed
(09-28-2023, 12:20 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote:
(09-27-2023, 06:49 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: The funny thing is, part of Bravermans whole shoddy and transparent self image is in part being the one who says these things despite her heritage. It's without doubt a self-serving and manipulative strategy but one that she may believe has worked for her. It is also a facade that she isnt smart enough to maintain as well as she may like to think.

I'm amazed that a bloke who has frequently told us of your own views and friendship groups including people of a range of backgrounds and sexualities would be anything other than deeply disturbed by her use of gay people for dog whistle politics.

1.5% of applications for asylum have any reference of basis in sexuality - if anything, lower than what you would typically find as a constant of people that would describe this as other than heterosexual across most societies where it is not persecuted or inhibited. So in fact, it is very much hard to see why it would be pinpointed as a central focus for any other reason than what it really was.

I don't believe Angela Merkel was accused of being a racist, nor Sarkozy (though his country is deeply, deeply racist), nor Cameron.

I happen to disagree very strongly with the Home Secretary on the treatment of homosexuals (and most women) from godforsaken fascist desert states. But that wasn't the point I was responding to, was it?

I'm not sure what the point is? Braverman isn't racist because others haven't been accused of it?

I think that's what I'm asking you.

I get the impression, rightly or wrongly, that *some* people can be very selective on who they believe is and is not racist. 

Saying that "multiculturalism has failed" is certainly not controversial in France as it's as plain as the nose on your face. It's also true of parts of Germany, parts of the UK and parts of liberal Scandinavia. It doesn't make me racist for believing or saying that, it makes me a realist.
Sarkozy was called a racist, and was called out for using that line to pander to supporters of a far right party to win votes. Merkel was pandering to right wing voters considering between the CDU/CSU and AfD (another far right party).

What are you on about?
(09-28-2023, 12:36 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-28-2023, 12:20 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote:

I think that's what I'm asking you.

I get the impression, rightly or wrongly, that *some* people can be very selective on who they believe is and is not racist. 

Saying that "multiculturalism has failed" is certainly not controversial in France as it's as plain as the nose on your face. It's also true of parts of Germany, parts of the UK and parts of liberal Scandinavia. It doesn't make me racist for believing or saying that, it makes me a realist.

I think the traits that worry me most about her are far beyond those kind of labels. She's a deeply insidious poison

I've never felt the need to consider it with Merkel or Sarkozy because neither of them has any delusions that any part of them represents me. She's a cunt and should be called out as so, with every clarity it contains
(09-28-2023, 12:48 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: She's a cunt and should be called out as so

Ah, but there's a world of difference between being labelled a "cunt" and being labelled a "racist cunt".
A homophobic cunt will do for today

Probably worse than that actually. Utilising marginalized sexuality as a weapon for an asylum debate
I see the leftists are happy to put the boot into, UK Minister, Suella but no words about the far right prominence in Switzerland!

Reeks of double standards to me. Maybe the left are the racists...
Would rather talk to ChatGPT
(09-28-2023, 01:16 PM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote: Maybe the left are the racists...

The proper left, when in power globally has as strong a tradition of racism as the far right. The hard left in Britain has its issues (but lets not go there yet again eh?) and even the soft left often implies they'd prefer minorities to stay in their lane and provide them with a client vote. If that's not racist, I'm not sure what is.
(09-28-2023, 11:24 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(09-28-2023, 10:18 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: A solution to current global migration today would be to redress the vast economic inequalities that exist between different countries.

Ah, making the rich poorer. Good luck with that.

Good luck with securing the borders too. That's not going to happen either.

The Bravermans of this world behave like modern day King Knuts. They can't stop global migration anymore than he could turn back the waves.

When she and no doubt others use phrases such as existential threat, it makes me wonder whether there are any limits to solutions to those threats that they wouldn't use. What moral red lines do they have, if any.