The By-Election Erection Section
(07-21-2023, 08:04 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Just seen Johnny Mercer moaning about a younger person becoming an MP. That man is such an arrogant numpty, to think some people thought/think he’s the acceptable face of the Tory Party currently says all you need to know about where they are currently.

To be honest I'd prefer MPs who'd actually had some life experience and / or an actual job.

The Tory intake of 2019 had too many staffers and recent graduates and it shows, so this isn't just an issue about the likes Black, Whittome, Sultana and others who add absolutely nothing to the debate but juvenile bile.
(07-21-2023, 08:08 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(07-21-2023, 06:58 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(07-21-2023, 06:10 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(07-21-2023, 05:58 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(07-21-2023, 05:54 AM)Protheroe Wrote: Maybe Labour policies that penalise poorer people aren’t that popular after all. Who knew?

Exactly.

That said the huge swings in the other two areas away from the Tories is every bit as important in terms of where your ex party is currently across the rest of the country.

An alternative view.

Maybe a Labour party that more resembles the Conservative Party these days are not that attractive to more Labour leaning areas such as London.

Nah it was ULEZ, who knew charging people hundreds/thousands of pounds for driving their car or van would be unpopular? Even with this, they still lost 6000 ish votes to Labour.

Clearly ULEZ was a factor in the result. 
For those who are opposed to the scheme,  it gave them the motivation to vote Conservative, when they may well have otherwise stayed at home.
And that may have been enough to decide the election.
But I think it would be a huge mistake to think it was the only factor. If it was, you might have expected a significantly higher turnout in this by election compared to the others held yesterday.

It was ULEZ on this occasion imo predominantly but I said something similar with regards to the current depressing (if honest) lack of positive message from Labour. …Things can only get sadder. They can only get drabber! Give people the message things can get better first rather than pragmatism which will play straight into the hands of these lying wankers in government currently.
(07-21-2023, 08:47 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: It was ULEZ on this occasion imo predominantly but I said something similar with regards to the current depressing (if honest) lack of positive message from Labour. …Things can only get sadder. They can only get drabber! Give people the message things can get better first rather than pragmatism which will play straight into the hands of these lying wankers in government currently.

They're being honest Dekka. I'm not sure what you expect to get better when when both inflation and the taxman are robbing us all blind.

Inflation is the only priority any party should have right now, a everything else you might want to do depends on its defeat.
(07-21-2023, 08:46 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(07-21-2023, 08:04 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Just seen Johnny Mercer moaning about a younger person becoming an MP. That man is such an arrogant numpty, to think some people thought/think he’s the acceptable face of the Tory Party currently says all you need to know about where they are currently.

To be honest I'd prefer MPs who'd actually had some life experience and / or an actual job.

The Tory intake of 2019 had too many staffers and recent graduates and it shows, so this isn't just an issue about the likes Black, Whittome, Sultana and others who add absolutely nothing to the debate but juvenile bile.

Johnny Mercer is an arrogant bully who speaks over everyone when interviewed. He adds nothing to the debate other than macho posturing. Let’s put his intellectual capacity into perspective here… he’s just said that people don’t want candidates like the 25yr old who’s just become an MP, the same newly elected MP has just turned over a 20k majority from the Tories. 

Oh and here’s three Tories that add only bile, wedge politics and culture wars to the debate and are apparently down to earth, salt of the earth types who know what ‘people’ whoever they are want.

30p Lee 
Gullis 
Dorries 
Truss

Your ex party lurched to a populist Trumpian right under Johnson with ideologues and grifters getting elected and promoted way above their intellectual ability. This has nothing to do with ‘university of life type bollocks’ .

(07-21-2023, 08:55 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(07-21-2023, 08:47 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: It was ULEZ on this occasion imo predominantly but I said something similar with regards to the current depressing (if honest) lack of positive message from Labour. …Things can only get sadder. They can only get drabber! Give people the message things can get better first rather than pragmatism which will play straight into the hands of these lying wankers in government currently.

They're being honest Dekka. I'm not sure what you expect to get better when when both inflation and the taxman are robbing us all blind.

Inflation is the only priority any party should have right now, an eeverything else you might want to do depends on its defeat.

Yes but we all know the Tory’s and the press that supports them won’t be honest by the time the election comes about. We also know from the last election people believe the bullshit that your ex-party campaigned on even though numerous studies have now proven most was factually incorrect to be polite.
(07-21-2023, 08:12 AM)Ournextstriker Wrote: Its nice 3 main parties all won a seat each

I like to see all the Midlands teams do well.
Would rather talk to ChatGPT

Evidence of juvenile bile please.

Or do they just express views you disagree with.

I think its refreshing that someone like Nadia Whithome can go from working in a residential care home to being an mp.

Parliament needs to be more representative.
(07-21-2023, 10:19 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

I think its refreshing that someone like Nadia Whithome can go from working in a residential care home to being an mp.

How long have you got?

On Sunak becoming PM Whittome deemed it was appropriate to say that it "isn't a win for Asian representation". A remark she withdrew after pressure from the grown-ups in her party.

Zarah Sultana's Maiden speech recycled every tired left wing trope under the sun and outraged the moderates in her own party (well worth a watch). She called for detained migrants and prisoners to have Covid vaccinations before, you know, those people who might die of Covid. She also believes the Cuban demonstrations against the government in Cuba ought to be directed at Washington - conveniently ignoring  over a hundred "disappearances" of said protestors. Oh, and she's a proven anti-semite.

The predatory and intimidating behaviour of uber-Twat Lloyd Russell Moyle during the gender debate.

What these three also have in common is that they were / are huge supporters of Jeremy Corbyn. Thankfully the latest MP elected for Labour is less of an extremist, rather just woefully inexperienced to represent those he now has to serve.

But like I said, this isn't just a Labour problem. Perhaps if we paid MPs a salary commensurate with the role we might attract some talent.
(07-21-2023, 11:26 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(07-21-2023, 10:19 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

How long have you got?

On Sunak becoming PM Whittome deemed it was appropriate to say that it "isn't a win for Asian representation". A remark she withdrew after pressure from the grown-ups in her party.

Zarah Sultana's Maiden speech recycled every tired left wing trope under the sun and outraged the moderates in her own party (well worth a watch). She called for detained migrants and prisoners to have Covid vaccinations before, you know, those people who might die of Covid. She also believes the Cuban demonstrations against the government in Cuba ought to be directed at Washington - conveniently ignoring  over a hundred "disappearances" of said protestors. Oh, and she's a proven anti-semite.

The predatory and intimidating behaviour of uber-Twat Lloyd Russell Moyle during the gender debate.

What these three also have in common is that they were / are huge supporters of Jeremy Corbyn. Thankfully the latest MP elected for Labour is less of an extremist, rather just woefully inexperienced to represent those he now has to serve.

So no examples of juvenile bile, just examples of opinions you disagree with.
(07-21-2023, 11:29 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: So no examples of juvenile bile, just examples of opinions you disagree with.

Wow. OK.
(07-21-2023, 11:38 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(07-21-2023, 11:29 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: So no examples of juvenile bile, just examples of opinions you disagree with.

Wow. OK.

Would you like a list of the incredibly juvenile, stupid, ignorant and bigoted views of those I listed in your ex-party who have ‘life experience’?