Brexit has failed…
Corbewrong sums it up. If you were too stupid to factor in those likely to try and deliver it, no amount of argument as to why it might have worked in a perfect world is anything other than as stupid as it was in the first place. Complete lack of social intelligence
Someone could have been killed
(05-17-2023, 10:05 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: always going to have a detrimental affect on the country 

In your opinion.

Do you really want to reopen all the things that didn't happen that were predicted by Project Fear? Particularly that twat Osborne and his pet prick at the BoE?

I am exceptionally disappointed in the outcome (thus far) which has generally made the UK less competitive via massive tax rises & increased, retained or proposed regulation. Neither was foreseen, nor was the crazy largesse of the Covid and energy bailouts. 

The UK's mess is largely of its own making. Largely because it has done the thick end of fuck all to help itself since leaving.

(05-17-2023, 05:55 AM)CarlosCorbewrong Wrote:
(05-16-2023, 09:20 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: <knocks doors in Hagley to say sorry>

To be honest, even if you knew nothing about economics, a cast list which included Johnson, Farage and Proth should have told you all you need to know.

On the day of the Brexit referendum David Cameron was Prime Minister, or had you forgotten?
(05-17-2023, 11:03 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-17-2023, 10:05 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: always going to have a detrimental affect on the country 

In your opinion.

Do you really want to reopen all the things that didn't happen that were predicted by Project Fear? Particularly that twat Osborne and his pet prick at the BoE?

I am exceptionally disappointed in the outcome (thus far) which has generally made the UK less competitive via massive tax rises & increased, retained or proposed regulation. Neither was foreseen, nor was the crazy largesse of the Covid and energy bailouts. 

The UK's mess is largely of its own making. Largely because it has done the thick end of fuck all to help itself since leaving.

Essentially, with no plan or belief of winning the vote, Brexit came to pass to piss in our soup and we now have to drink it.  Anyway, I'm off to pick some fruit to help Britain.

In your opinion.

(05-16-2023, 09:20 PM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: <knocks doors in Hagley to say sorry>

To be honest, even if you knew nothing about economics, a cast list which included Johnson, Farage and Proth should have told you all you need to know.

On the day of the Brexit referendum David Cameron was Prime Minister, or had you forgotten?

And what did everyone know would happen to David in the event of a leave vote? Or have you forgotten?
(05-17-2023, 11:38 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: And what did everyone know would happen to David in the event of a leave vote? Or have you forgotten?

Tell me. What did "everyone know", because if you're suggesting "everyone knew" he'd resign immediately like a coward then clearly most of the Tory Party didn't know for a start.

Revisionism at its finest.

In your opinion.

You still can’t admit it was a crap idea, wedded to some godawful Shanghai-on-Thames survival of the fittest fuck the rest fantasy that would be about as appealing for most people as a an evening with Liz Truss at the local Conservative club.
Proth, unless you can put down in a few simple points why your version of Brexit would have made us better off (using sources) then you can't really accuse others of revisionism.

When you were out knocking doors campaigning for it, when you put your cross in the Brexit box what did you think it meant? Based on what you say and the fact you campaigned for it, I'd expect back in 2015-16 you were relatively close to the inner machinations of Vote Leave, or at the very least in some dubious Whatsapp groups - what did those people think Brexit meant? The very fact that not then, nor now can anyone who campaigned or voted for Brexit stand with any confidence and say what it was going to look like shows the whole thing is, was and was always going to be a complete shambles.
(05-17-2023, 11:46 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-17-2023, 11:38 AM)CaptainFantastico Wrote: And what did everyone know would happen to David in the event of a leave vote? Or have you forgotten?

Tell me. What did "everyone know", because if you're suggesting "everyone knew" he'd resign immediately like a coward then clearly most of the Tory Party didn't know for a start.

Revisionism at its finest.

Everyone with an ounce of intelligence then. It’s not like you weren’t armed what a fuck up it was going to be
I am not sure which thread to put this in.  Here goes.  At 12.30 today yet another desperate plea comes my way - pre Brexit the movement would go simply from Point A in Blighty to Point B EU under an established single simple system.  This is so typical I wonder if there is a machine somewhere churning them out to grind me down to sort it all out.  This was an inevitable consequence of our leaving the EU to choose to be a third country:

"We have a customer from the EU who wants us to supply him with 20 cases of wine (120 bottles English sparkling). He wants to come and collect the wine in his own vehicle. Having looked into how to do this, it seems that a T1 document is required in order to suspend duty/taxes until the wine arrives at the EU customs entry point. We have found a customs agent who can provide the T1 but this needs to be collected from an inland border facility and they informed us that a movement guarantee would be required. I checked Excise Notices 197 and 163 and the implication seems to be that any movement out of our winery under duty suspension does indeed require a movement guarantee. The duty liability in this case is about £340 and we don’t have a movement guarantee and neither does the customer (who is also the transporter). I have tried to contact HMRC for clarification as providing financial security of £20,000 (which seems to be the minimum UK requirement) seems a bit excessive and that’s without the administrative burden of going backwards and forwards between our bank and HMRC. Unfortunately, despite a couple of emails explaining our situation in some detail, plus several conversations with the EMCS, excise and international trade helplines, HMRC have been unable to give me an answer - I just keep on getting passed around and told to email the details of my case to NRU approvals and then no one replies. The only concrete response I’ve had from them is a list of information I’d need to provide if I want to obtain a movement guarantee."

To be fair, a movement guarantee was required for simple intra EU movements, but the fact the thing moves inot a customs transit procedure "doubles up" that element of it and the process requires other agencies and costs to simply transport the goods.
Everyone with an IQ over 50 could see that our government would fuck it up so badly we'd be worse off. I said so many times that's why I voted remain and tried to get others to. I wasn't pro-eu, I just knew we'd make such a fuck up of it we'd wish we stayed.

I kept asking, give me one, just one, piece of solid evidence we'd be better off leaving than remaining, that is guaranteed to happen, just, one. No one did, and it annoys me not one person asked a simple question like that on TV either.

Not possibilities, guarantees, never base a choice on promises reliant on others, always vote on what is guaranteed. We'd be in a better position if everyone did that.