Big Ron has spoken
What bullshit do people want him to spin us?
(05-04-2022, 05:15 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: What bullshit do people want him to spin us?

I think some of us would just like to see a proper vision, something encouraging about the style of play and a tangible plan for the medium to long term future, not a load of worn out cliches and platitudes for his buddy.

I think it's better that the Board is kept on its toes, rather than fans channelling their inner Stepford Wife and clapping happily.
(05-04-2022, 05:12 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 04:56 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: I'd like to pull him up on his comment about villa getting to a play off final with limited resources.

Yes, the transfers in including some very expensive loans - Bolasie, Abraham and Mings - would indicate otherwise!  

"Steve Bruce and I are in total agreement" .   Rolleyes

They arrived after Bruce had left
(05-04-2022, 05:24 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 04:56 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: I'd like to pull him up on his comment about villa getting to a play off final with limited resources.

Yes, the transfers in including some very expensive loans - Bolasie, Abraham and Mings - would indicate otherwise!  

Mings did.  Bruce signed Bolasie and Abraham. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80....C._season
(05-04-2022, 05:20 PM)WorcsWBA Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 05:15 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: What bullshit do people want him to spin us?

I think some of us would just like to see a proper vision, something encouraging about the style of play and a tangible plan for the medium to long term future, not a load of worn out cliches and platitudes for his buddy.

I think it's better that the Board is kept on its toes, rather than fans channelling their inner Stepford Wife and clapping happily.

So something like “my aim is to get this great club back where it belongs: in the Premier league”?

(05-04-2022, 05:27 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 05:24 PM)Beachboysbaggie Wrote:

Mings did.  Bruce signed Bolasie and Abraham. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80....C._season

Apologies mind playing tricks
(05-04-2022, 05:15 PM)WorcsWBA Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 05:12 PM)Cornflake Wrote: Personally I think they have to be given a chance to sort out this mess.

Gourlay's been here in one capacity or another for the entire pre-season and season. At what point does any of it start to become his responsibility?

He had an input into some of the signings, presumably including Dike. 

In his current capacity, he's accountable since 2 Feb, including Bruce's appointment.
“Let me be judged by getting the Hawthorns back to the vibrant atmosphere I know it can be”.So does he honestly believe that this statement is going to help.He has come out and gave his best mate a glowing reference with his fantastic achievements at Birmingham and Hull many moons ago ,but don’t mention his recent record of losing football matches.
What about the great achievement of getting Villa into the play offs ,on apparently a limited budget.We won’t mention they had Grealish in the team and the following season he lead them to the great heights of 14th before being sacked and leaving Smith to take them to the Premier league.
Gourlay had a chance of a total reset and has fluffed it big time.Just wait until the season ticket sales figures come out.
I’ve said it before will say it again if they spend I ll spend. Guess that answers my question
The season Villa reached the playoff final under Bruce they didn’t actually spend huge amounts in fairness to him…

Johnstone, Snodgrass, Tuanzebe and Grabban on loan would have had sizeable wages, along with Chris Samba, John Terry, El-Mohammedy and Glenn Whelan  signing.

The more concerning thing is look at the ages of those signings… nothing really there inspires long term planning does it…
Well I read it and I'm pleased with the realistic recognition of where we're at. And the bit about Bruce and Gourlay being"in total agreement".
Debts outstanding, but the club is financially stable.
It's the best we can hope for in the circs.
It's fans' unreasonable expectations which are going to be our problem I'm afraid.
Bruce is not a dream appointment, but he's what we've got.
Give them a break!