Boris Johnson
I know they annoy a few on here but my regular ‘what’s better x, y, z’ threads address the last few posts on this thread. Barely anything has got better for the average person in this country for the last 11yrs. Unbelievably or perhaps inevitably in the U.K. the Conservatives have got away with blaming everyone for their failures and even turned it into a reason to vote for them ffs!

The list of people they have blamed…

Immigrants
The EU
The legal profession
Doctors and nurses
The Labour Party
The Lib Dems
Wokeness (deary me)
The Elites

This is by no means the full list but surely by now they are running out of fingers to point at others for their failures deliberate and unforeseen.
(12-02-2021, 02:02 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Ignoring the global population growth forcing innovation to develop the global economy, and ignoring the growth of China to being the global force that it is in a communist regime and not mentioning the development of the internet and global communication structures, and the growth of global travel again through innovation. If you ignore all of those factors and many more, you're spot on.

I swear to God, do you ever look up from your own navel?

How on Earth does the statement "markets becoming more open and becoming more global" ignore the growth of China? or the development of the internet? or the growth of global travel?

I swear to God you don't read my posts most of the time. Either that or they're simply too cerebral for you.

How on Earth would China have become so dominant without embracing markets? Are markets and the monetisation of information not the foundation of the internet? Have markets and the removal of regulation not driven down the cost of global connectivity and travel?

I'm fucking wasting my time here if you believe any of that's false.
(12-02-2021, 02:30 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(12-02-2021, 02:02 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Ignoring the global population growth forcing innovation to develop the global economy, and ignoring the growth of China to being the global force that it is in a communist regime and not mentioning the development of the internet and global communication structures, and the growth of global travel again through innovation. If you ignore all of those factors and many more, you're spot on.

How on Earth does the statement "markets becoming more open and becoming more global" ignore the growth of China? or the development of the internet? or the growth of global travel?

I swear to God you don't read my posts most of the time. Either that or they're simply too cerebral for you.

How on Earth would China have become so dominant without embracing markets? Are markets and the monetisation of information not the foundation of the internet? Have markets and the removal of regulation not driven down the cost of global connectivity and travel?

I think we are all wasting our time on here.
(12-02-2021, 02:57 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I think we are all wasting our time on here.

I have never agreed with you more.
(12-02-2021, 02:30 PM)Protheroe Wrote:

Perhaps you will be better off going back to knocking on doors.
(12-02-2021, 03:24 PM)Baggybenny Wrote: Perhaps you will be better off going back to knocking on doors.

Who would I knock on doors for? Boris's David Owen or Keir's David Miliband?

There's currently no representation for the mainstream political right.
You seem obsessed with tying this back to 1979 which is when it aligns conveniently with your political views, markets were growing before 1979 and have continued to do so despite any political theory. These markets exist in all political spheres and have nothing to do with nationalising risk - see China or removal of regulation - fuck sake mon, do you not see that the improvement in the quality and safety of products is directly related to regulation, and the improvement in the goods and services has led us to that better life.
Protheroe Wrote:If you consider Britain is "broken" now then I doubt you were around in 1979.

I was actually born at home, by candlelight during the 1972 Miners Strike - when the miners were demanding a 47% pay increase (yes, you read that right).

You could say my politics, and those of a generations of Tory voters were formed at that very moment.

'79 was the first time I was eligible to vote in a General Election. Believe me, life was better for most before. Just read my post again and tell me the carnage isn't down to Thatcher and her selling off all of our assets.
(12-02-2021, 03:39 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(12-02-2021, 03:24 PM)Baggybenny Wrote: Perhaps you will be better off going back to knocking on doors.

Who would I knock on doors for? Boris's David Owen or Keir's David Miliband?

There's currently no representation for the mainstream political right.

Aside from being in power for the last 11 years, what makes you feel unrepresented?
I would just like to point out that parts of England, and not remote parts but towns like Penrith and towns and villages close to Newcastle, still do not have power after a week. This in a first world country.

What have the government done? Has our Prime Minister even bothered to visit?