Boris Johnson
Protheroe Wrote:Simple. Thatcher stopped the long term malaise. By and large Blair continued her legacy.

Unfortunately since Gordon Brown we’ve reverted to type.

By smashing British industry to a million pieces and selling the family silver. Whatever the question that was asked, she wasn't the answer. The beginnings of division were sown there and then. We had steelworks in The Black Country, now we have shopping centres. There are mining towns now into the third generation of unemployment meanwhile we import coal, (along with electricity and gas). Her bitterness and hatred of the working class blinded her to any possible solutions to our much under-invested industries and finally did for her when she decided the poll tax was a good idea. I'm not hugely political,  but her policy of "Look after no.1" was the blueprint for broken Britain.
If you consider Britain is "broken" now then I doubt you were around in 1979.

I was actually born at home, by candlelight during the 1972 Miners Strike - when the miners were demanding a 47% pay increase (yes, you read that right).

You could say my politics, and those of a generations of Tory voters were formed at that very moment.
(12-02-2021, 10:17 AM)Protheroe Wrote: If you consider Britain is "broken" now then I doubt you were around in 1979.

I was actually born at home, by candlelight during the 1972 Miners Strike - when the miners were demanding a 47% pay increase (yes, you read that right).

You could say my politics, and those of a generations of Tory voters were formed at that very moment.

I love this argument, it's almost as if Maggie is responsible for the world's progress and improvements in technology and living standards driven by the far east and America. I'd say that the whole world is in a better place than 1979 and it is only partly to do with UK politics. Likewise I'm hoping that the Tory parties comfort zone being exhibited through the lack of care what anyone thinks about their sleaze and lining their own pockets forms generations of voters that can see through this gaslighting.
(12-02-2021, 10:17 AM)Protheroe Wrote: If you consider Britain is "broken" now then I doubt you were around in 1979.

I'm pretty sure Chesh and Tom Joad are older than you Proth, and would be in a far better place to recall 1979 than your 7 year old self.
In fairness 79 was a great year for me but I was only 11 and starting secondary school. My first Albion game was this year, The Boomtown Rats were killing it, Blondie, Gary Numan, Pink Floyd and The Police were all pushing out some great tracks.

(12-02-2021, 10:40 AM)baggy1 Wrote:

I love this argument, it's almost as if Maggie is responsible for the world's progress and improvements in technology and living standards driven by the far east and America. I'd say that the whole world is in a better place than 1979 and it is only partly to do with UK politics. Likewise I'm hoping that the Tory parties comfort zone being exhibited through the lack of care what anyone thinks about their sleaze and lining their own pockets forms generations of voters that can see through this gaslighting.

How about we stick to the present, rather than 42 years ago.

Tories have been in power for 11 years. I'm struggling to see how the country is in any way a better position than 11 years ago.
(12-02-2021, 11:51 AM)AmsterdamBaggie Wrote: Tories have been in power for 11 years. I'm struggling to see how the country is in any way a better position than 11 years ago.

I don't disagree with that. However I also wonder where else is better than it was before the financial crisis?

(12-02-2021, 11:03 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

I'm pretty sure Chesh and Tom Joad are older than you Proth, and would be in a far better place to recall 1979 than your 7 year old self.

Then maybe they can speak for themselves and tell me what was unbroken in 1979 that is apparently broken now. Apart from the stranglehold of militant unions that is.
(12-02-2021, 01:16 PM)Protheroe Wrote:
(12-02-2021, 11:51 AM)AmsterdamBaggie Wrote: Tories have been in power for 11 years. I'm struggling to see how the country is in any way a better position than 11 years ago.

I don't disagree with that. However I also wonder where else is better than it was before the financial crisis?

(12-02-2021, 11:03 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:

Then maybe they can speak for themselves and tell me what was unbroken in 1979 that is apparently broken now. Apart from the stranglehold of militant unions that is.

Winner, the world being better since 1979 is to do with the Tories, the world being worse in the last 11 years is to do with global issues  Big Grin
(12-02-2021, 01:20 PM)baggy1 Wrote: Winner, the world being better since 1979 is to do with the Tories, the world being worse in the last 11 years is to do with global issues  Big Grin

The world being better since 1979 is everything to do with markets becoming more open and becoming more global.

The world being in flux since 2008 has everything to do with governments nationalising risk.

The Tories (and Reagan) were instrumental in the former, but complicit in the latter.
Ignoring the global population growth forcing innovation to develop the global economy, and ignoring the growth of China to being the global force that it is in a communist regime and not mentioning the development of the internet and global communication structures, and the growth of global travel again through innovation. If you ignore all of those factors and many more, you're spot on.

I swear to God, do you ever look up from your own navel?