"World Leaders" Of Today
(08-16-2021, 01:18 PM)Pipkins Wrote: Whether you loved or hated him Churchill was a great leader 

As much as I hate Thatcher & still do (you could say she was a good leader)

Ckem Atlee/Nye Bevan were also deemed as great leaders 

Its a very subjective topic 

The German people classed Hitler as a great leader 

In recent years UK Politics has become very Americanised 

Instead of following policies public vote for

The elected party allow lobbyists to persuade them to making/not making decisions in their favour 

Then offer them lucrative posts on the board once finished in politics 

Hence why there is no real changes in the UK

I read that with a Billy Bragg voice in my head.
(08-16-2021, 12:49 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 12:34 PM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 12:11 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: The biggest bunch of self-interest merchants of my lifetime.

Do sympathise, B.B, but I think it`s been this way for years, certainly in my lifetime, nearly 60 years.

J.F.K.- allegedly only got elected by paying the mafia in Chicago to fix the result, latched on to `civil rights` as a vote winner among liberals, although he had no real interest. Got America embroiled in Vietnam.
Nixon.- maligned due to Watergate, ( he got caught ! ), did some good things, but, allegedly used campaign funds to build holiday homes in California & Florida.
Harold Wilson - A former Labour councillor told me `Wilson was a total crook`. Didn`t really run the country, Marcia Williams did.
Blair - No need to elaborate.
Cameron - See Blair , above.

Agree with what you're saying.

But..re.Wilson

Wasn't he the alleged victim of a smear campaign by MI5? I think 'Spycatcher' backs up this theory. 

I do know he sued papers for libel and won when they accused him of corruption.
Yes, I believe he was the victim of a smear campaign, at the time , I read somewhere that MI5 & Special Branch on one side, MI6 and Army Intelligence on the other had a kind of `civil war`going on, especially in Northern Ireland.
Wilson, however also gave a knighthood to Michael Kagan , ` Lord Gannex`, who supplied him with expensive clothes, later turned out to have been a spy for Czech intelligence or whoever,he also was implicated in the trial of a so called property developer, Ronald Millhench. His plans to re-develop offices in city centres had a letter, signed by Wilson, saying planning permission would not be a problem.
Millhench went to court for fraud, and,later, said the letters were forgeries, although he was related to Wilsons secretary, Marcia Williams,and the letters were on what seemed to be official House of Commons paper.
With regard to `Spycatcher`, I have never read it, but other books I have read about Britain in the 60`s / 70`s suggest that lots of politicians, Royals, aristocrats etc, were mixed up in dodgy stuff.
(08-16-2021, 12:34 PM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote: Yes, I believe he was the victim of a smear campaign, at the time , I read somewhere that MI5 & Special Branch on one side, MI6 and Army Intelligence on the other had a kind of `civil war`going on, especially in Northern Ireland.
Wilson, however also gave a knighthood to Michael Kagan , ` Lord Gannex`, who supplied him with expensive clothes, later turned out to have been a spy for Czech intelligence or whoever, also was implicated in the trial of a so called property developer, Ronald Millhench. His plans to re-develop offices in city centres had a letter, signed by Wilson, saying planning permission would not be a problem.
Millhench went to court for fraud, and,later, said the letters were forgeries, although he was related to Wilsons secretary, Marcia Williams,and the letters were on what seemed to be official House of Commons paper.
With regard to `Spycatcher`, I have never read it, but other books I have read about Britain in the 60`s / 70`s suggest that lots of politicians, Royals, aristocrats etc, were mixed up in dodgy stuff.

You, obviously know more about it than me. Fascinating stuff, I'm going to have to resist the temptation to spend the rest of the day trawling the internet about this! Which book do you particularly recommend?

did come across this, though...
https://blog.oup.com/2019/04/harold-wils...roversial/

Every nation gets the government it deserves - Maistre

Perhaps it's our fault we seem to let them get away with it with just a shrug of our shoulders and a look of derision?
(08-16-2021, 01:26 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 12:34 PM)Ministry Of Silly Signings Wrote: Yes, I believe he was the victim of a smear campaign, at the time , I read somewhere that MI5 & Special Branch on one side, MI6 and Army Intelligence on the other had a kind of `civil war`going on, especially in Northern Ireland.
Wilson, however also gave a knighthood to Michael Kagan , ` Lord Gannex`, who supplied him with expensive clothes, later turned out to have been a spy for Czech intelligence or whoever, also was implicated in the trial of a so called property developer, Ronald Millhench. His plans to re-develop offices in city centres had a letter, signed by Wilson, saying planning permission would not be a problem.

You, obviously know more about it than me. Fascinating stuff, I'm going to have to resist the temptation to spend the rest of the day trawling the internet about this!

did come across this, though...
https://blog.oup.com/2019/04/harold-wils...roversial/

Every nation gets the government it deserves - Maistre

Perhaps it's our fault we seem to let them get away with it with just a shrug of our shoulders and a look of derision?
Don`t claim to be an expert , Fuzz, but I only read military history, politics etc, never fiction, the real thing is more interesting! Not saying everything is 100% true, but... I am just reading a book about Americas National Security Agency, frightening.
Recently read one about the Profumo Affair, all sorts of Lords, politicians, Senior Police etc mixed up in that.
"I am just reading a book about Americas National Security Agency, frightening."

Which one? I'll give it a go.
In Gulf War stylie, I have created my own pack of cards to represent them.

52 Jokers.
(08-16-2021, 02:34 PM)fuzzbox Wrote: "I am just reading a book about Americas National Security Agency, frightening."

Which one? I'll give it a go.

It's called Body Of Secrets.