Why couldn't last night's match...
(07-28-2021, 11:14 AM)Juan Quidonqui Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 09:47 AM)MrFizz Wrote: Some of the replies were a little stupid. But there was lots of frustration around last night. A lot of folks had been waiting 18mths to go to a game, reflected in the fact that 3,500 tickets sold out in less than a day. For it to be called off late on was a sickener. A mates little lad was inconsolable as it was meant to be his first game. The fact that pitches at local non-league grounds were fine and games going ahead added to that frustration. For a professional team to have a pitch that cant cope with a 1hr downpour is pretty poor IMO.

If your mates lad was inconsolable at a friendly with Walsall being called off then the shift in society’s sense of entitlement has gone further than I thought. I dread to think what state he’ll be in when some serious shit actually happens in his life.

Bit harsh mate, could be a 4/5 yr old, first game, bound to be incredible excitement/anticipation.  Kind of supporters we want for the future.  

Hope he gets to the Luton game and we win for him.
(07-28-2021, 09:47 AM)MrFizz Wrote: Some of the replies were a little stupid. But there was lots of frustration around last night. A lot of folks had been waiting 18mths to go to a game, reflected in the fact that 3,500 tickets sold out in less than a day. For it to be called off late on was a sickener. A mates little lad was inconsolable as it was meant to be his first game. The fact that pitches at local non-league grounds were fine and games going ahead added to that frustration. For a professional team to have a pitch that cant cope with a 1hr downpour is pretty poor IMO.

If your mates lad was inconsolable at a friendly with Walsall being called off then the shift in society’s sense of entitlement has gone further than I thought. I dread to think what state he’ll be in when some serious shit actually happens in his life.

He had better toughen up, judging by this post, he is not going to get much sympathy in life.
(07-28-2021, 11:20 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 11:17 AM)Duffers Wrote:

Seems a little harsh, it was a child looking forward to their first match. Of course they’re going to be gutted if it’s called off last minute.

Maybe that was harshly worded, but do something else with them, explain the weather is too bad and you'll take them to a home game soon.

But the grown adults acting like it's a tragedy need to grow the fuck up.

Oh no arguments on the adults, but having a dig at a child, especially if he’s been waiting months for his first game, feels unnecessary.
Yeah maybe I’m being a bit hard on the lad (tact has never been my strongest point) but as Birdy says, a little bit of perspective is needed. And if it wasn’t for some of the adults making out that the world was about to end, maybe the little lad wouldn’t have been so inconsolable and would have just thought “oh well, I’ll go to the next match instead”.
(07-28-2021, 11:30 AM)Juan Quidonqui Wrote: Yeah maybe I’m being a bit hard on the lad (tact has never been my strongest point) but as Birdy says, a little bit of perspective is needed. And if it wasn’t for some of the adults making out that the world was about to end, maybe the little lad wouldn’t have been so inconsolable and would have just thought “oh well, I’ll go to the next match instead”.

“Don’t worry, we’ll do it again next week” rarely calms children down.
Should have taken the lad straight to the boxing club and stuck him in the ring, that’ll learn him ………
(07-28-2021, 11:36 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 11:30 AM)Juan Quidonqui Wrote: Yeah maybe I’m being a bit hard on the lad (tact has never been my strongest point) but as Birdy says, a little bit of perspective is needed. And if it wasn’t for some of the adults making out that the world was about to end, maybe the little lad wouldn’t have been so inconsolable and would have just thought “oh well, I’ll go to the next match instead”.

I'm lucky, it does, and did with mine, I'm well aware for other kids it's different!

But kids also feed off parents emotions, if the Dad had acted positively about it, taken the kid somewhere to do something else fun, he'd have adjusted far easier. If the Dad had a meltdown ranting about it, the kid will do too.

Little kid gets upset after his first footy match is called off. The first live game he’ll ever see his heroes play. So what if he gets upset? My 5 year old has been to loads of games but he was upset that he couldn’t watch his first match in 18 months yesterday. Kids get upset, it’s not that fucking deep. Kids will be kids. I’m sure Fizz’s lad is fine now like mine was an hour after the initial disappointment.

Maybe that’s the problem.
I can remember lots of times as a kid when things didn’t work out as I’d hoped particularly when relying on the weather. Was I disappointed? Definitely. Did I wail and cry like someone had just shot my family? No - I just got on with it like most kids of my generation. 
The fact that parents feel they can’t say to kids these days “Don’t worry, we’ll do it again next week” is probably the issue (especially when we’re talking about a friendly against Walsall - It’s not like he missed the final of the Euros). 
I appreciate it’s not easy bringing up kids today (glad I haven’t got to do it) but I do think that pampering to a child’s every wish for fear of them having a hissy fit isn’t going to do them any good in the long run.
(07-28-2021, 11:58 AM)Juan Quidonqui Wrote:

Maybe that’s the problem.
I can remember lots of times as a kid when things didn’t work out as I’d hoped particularly when relying on the weather. Was I disappointed? Definitely. Did I wail and cry like someone had just shot my family? No - I just got on with it like most kids of my generation. 
The fact that parents feel they can’t say to kids these days “Don’t worry, we’ll do it again next week” is probably the issue (especially when we’re talking about a friendly against Walsall - It’s not like he missed the final of the Euros). 
I appreciate it’s not easy bringing up kids today (glad I haven’t got to do it) but I do think that pampering to a child’s every wish for fear of them having a hissy fit isn’t going to do them any good in the long run.

I feel you are extrapolating a hell of a lot just from a kid having a bit of a meltdown because a match they were looking forward to has been called off.

It’s really not a symptom of modern society.