Why couldn't last night's match...
(07-28-2021, 12:05 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 11:58 AM)Juan Quidonqui Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 11:36 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 11:30 AM)Juan Quidonqui Wrote: Yeah maybe I’m being a bit hard on the lad (tact has never been my strongest point) but as Birdy says, a little bit of perspective is needed. And if it wasn’t for some of the adults making out that the world was about to end, maybe the little lad wouldn’t have been so inconsolable and would have just thought “oh well, I’ll go to the next match instead”.

“Don’t worry, we’ll do it again next week” rarely calms children down.

Maybe that’s the problem.
I can remember lots of times as a kid when things didn’t work out as I’d hoped particularly when relying on the weather. Was I disappointed? Definitely. Did I wail and cry like someone had just shot my family? No - I just got on with it like most kids of my generation. 
The fact that parents feel they can’t say to kids these days “Don’t worry, we’ll do it again next week” is probably the issue (especially when we’re talking about a friendly against Walsall - It’s not like he missed the final of the Euros). 
I appreciate it’s not easy bringing up kids today (glad I haven’t got to do it) but I do think that pampering to a child’s every wish for fear of them having a hissy fit isn’t going to do them any good in the long run.

I feel you are extrapolating a hell of a lot just from a kid having a bit of a meltdown because a match they were looking forward to has been called off.

It’s really not a symptom of modern society.

Possibly. Hope you’re right…. And you have to bear in mind that most of my views on raising kids comes straight from The McCann Book of Parenting.
I think i started something.....

Anyhoo just to clarify, it wasnt my lad. I dont have a lad. But the good parent that my mate is, he has consoled his little 'un by rearranging another appointment and getting tickets for the Blues game instead.  Cool
(07-28-2021, 12:12 PM)MrFizz Wrote: I think i started something.....

Anyhoo just to clarify, it wasnt my lad. I dont have a lad. But the good parent that my mate is, he has consoled his little 'un by rearranging another appointment and getting tickets for the Blues game instead.  Cool

Sounds to me like he's just given in to the lads tantrum. Weak.

Big Grin
(07-28-2021, 12:12 PM)MrFizz Wrote: I think i started something.....

Bloody pampering! Should have shot him for whinging (only below the knees of course) and locked him in his room for a month. 
But seriously though, glad he’s been sorted out with another game so quickly. All we have to hope now is that we don’t get stuffed and the lad decides to be a Bluenose !
He will certainly be inconsolable once he has seen the Albeyun..........
I'd have still been down the pit at that time of night when I was his age. The big Jessie!
(07-28-2021, 02:29 PM)DJPunkRoc Wrote: I'd have still been down the pit at that time of night when I was his age. The big Jessie!

Our dad used to cut us in half every morning before sending us to school with no breakfast, never did us any harm......

(Monty Python I believe  Big Grin ).
(07-28-2021, 11:57 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 11:36 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(07-28-2021, 11:30 AM)Juan Quidonqui Wrote: Yeah maybe I’m being a bit hard on the lad (tact has never been my strongest point) but as Birdy says, a little bit of perspective is needed. And if it wasn’t for some of the adults making out that the world was about to end, maybe the little lad wouldn’t have been so inconsolable and would have just thought “oh well, I’ll go to the next match instead”.

“Don’t worry, we’ll do it again next week” rarely calms children down.

I'm lucky, it does, and did with mine, I'm well aware for other kids it's different!

But kids also feed off parents emotions, if the Dad had acted positively about it, taken the kid somewhere to do something else fun, he'd have adjusted far easier. If the Dad had a meltdown ranting about it, the kid will do too.

TBF I've got no kids, but FFS it was Walsall there's feck all else for dad to take the kid to do...Couldn't even go for a walk around the Arbo with how the weather was. i suppose they could have gone and played marbles on the M6? Maybe for some meatballs at Ikea... Big Grin Big Grin

Also, I bet it was the dad's meltdown rather than the kid's Big Grin