Choice and order of penalty takers
If Rashford and Sancho hadn't decided to do a spot of morris dancing before their pens, maybe none of this would have mattered.
Grealish putting it out on twitter stinks of 'don't blame me, blame someone else' and very immature. Decisions were made and they didn't work out, Rashford was the poorest but shit happens. We'll get it right next time.
Gareth's decision was correct, based on he has the whole squad taking penalties at every traning session. He actually does know who are the best. If the kids had scored Gareth would be the best manager in the world today. We don't really need to be looking for excuses. 
Gareth you did a great job.
Southgate won't like the fact of Greasy pointing the finger of blame at him.
(07-12-2021, 11:32 AM)Remi_Moses Wrote: Gareth's decision was correct, based on he has the whole squad taking penalties at every traning session. He actually does know who are the best. If the kids had scored Gareth would be the best manager in the world today. We don't really need to be looking for excuses. 
Gareth you did a great job.

Southgate has been superb in many ways but this is all consolation stuff. The 'ifs' are the difference between winning and losing. If sending a 19 year old who's never taken a professional penalty to save a game is the correct decision, then we'll continue to miss out.
So much for that rumour that Pickford was one of the five.
(07-12-2021, 11:53 AM)Duffers Wrote: So much for that rumour that Pickford was one of the five.

Indeed.
I would have expected Sterling to take one. As the most capped player in the squad and a forward player he would’ve seemed an obvious choice to me. Whilst Rashford and Sancho’s penalties weren’t great, it’s so difficult to step up to something like that when they had just come on to the pitch.
It's a difficult choice with penalties. If Sancho, Rashford and Saka were all great at penalties in training and other more experienced players were poor or average do you then in the match still pick the experienced players just for their experience?

With Sancho, Rashford and Saka coming on and having to take pens only a couple of minutes later it's also tricky. You could bring them on 5-10 minutes earlier but what if that weakens us and Italy score due to us being out of shape or whatever?

Italy missed 2 pens as well so it wasn't just our players the pressure was getting to.
Pickford gets the lion's share of my sympathy. His two saves were a platform to win the shoot out. His team mates failed to capitalise on it.

It's a bit sad that some of us are finding ways to slag Greasy off. It's the kind of football fan behaviour that embarrasses us as a nation. Try to rise above it, eh?