Choice and order of penalty takers
Grealish didn't bottle it. He says: "I said I wanted to take one!!!! The gaffer has made so many right decisions through this tournament and he did tonight! But I won’t have people say that I didn’t want to take a peno when I said I will…"

https://twitter.com/JackGrealish/status/...1859888132

Which makes the choice of an 18 year old and someone who'd been on the pitch minutes, put in to take one, even more bizarre. Now it could well be that Southgate thought Grealish wasn't confident enough, in the right frame of mind or anything else - we don't know.

But as it stands and until/unless Southgate explains it looks a bizarre decision.
The penalties was a debacle end of. Very poor decisions made for those.
When it came down to penalties, really felt we were up against it due to the keepers statures.

By modern standards Pickford is short and the Italian guy is absolutely gigantic. Four inches of height is a huge amount when it comes to reach etc. Facing Donarumma when you're a bag of nerves is no fun.
One of the leaders should have stopped Saka going up for the 5th kick, way too much pressure at that point for a kid, albeit talented and mature kid, to handle.

Might have been against managers orders, but as team leaders sometimes that's your job.
"To take one". Doesn't say anything about one of the first five, or which penalty.

There's a video on social media which seems to suggest the next penalty taker after Saka would have been Pickford, and then Phillips. If Grealish or Sterling had actually offered to take one of the first 5 there's absolutely no way Saka would have been 5th up. Southgate gets things wrong but he's not an idiot. They bottled it
(07-12-2021, 10:40 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: When it came down to penalties, really felt we were up against it due to the keepers statures.

By modern standards Pickford is short and the Italian guy is absolutely gigantic. Four inches of height is a huge amount when it comes to reach etc. Facing Donarumma when you're a bag of nerves is no fun.

Pickford actually has a good record at pens. Sometimes being slighter and therefore more capable of changing position quickly helps.

He saved from Jorginho, that deserves credit.
(07-12-2021, 10:42 AM)Sliced Wrote: "To take one". Doesn't say anything about one of the first five, or which penalty.

There's a video on social media which seems to suggest the next penalty taker after Saka would have been Pickford, and then Phillips. If Grealish or Sterling had actually offered to take one of the first 5 there's absolutely no way Saka would have been 5th up. Southgate gets things wrong but he's not an idiot. They bottled it

Interesting. Next few days will hopefully put us in the picture.
(07-12-2021, 10:43 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(07-12-2021, 10:40 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: When it came down to penalties, really felt we were up against it due to the keepers statures.

Pickford actually has a good record at pens. Sometimes being slighter and therefore more capable of changing position quickly helps.

I'd probably have Pickford as our player of the tournament. I think bar a couple of dicey moments v Denmark he's been a leader and has made some fantastic saves and was bloody unlucky for their goal too.
(07-12-2021, 10:54 AM)Fido Wrote:
(07-12-2021, 10:43 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote:

I'd probably have Pickford as our player of the tournament. I think bar a couple of dicey moments v Denmark he's been a leader and has made some fantastic saves and was bloody unlucky for their goal too.

Shaw for me. He's been fantastic in every game. Pickford pushes him all the way though. I'm not his biggest fan and had reservations coming in to the tournament but he has been great. Thought he was very unlucky with their goal last night too. Great save to tip it onto the post.
Googled penalty takers in the team.
Very few including the seal have previously only taken one.
Rashford is most experienced after Kane.
Not sure who people expected to step up.