Choice and order of penalty takers
Baggiedownunder Wrote:Googled penalty takers in the team.
Very few including the seal have previously only taken one.
Rashford is most experienced after Kane.
Not sure who people expected to step up.

No problem with Rashford or Sancho coming on to take a penalty, it's the smart thing to do right before a shoot out.  I do though ahve a problem with either a manager sending a 19 yo to take the 5th penalty when he'd never taken a professional penalty in his life or a group or players bottling it and allowing him to do that.

Many players havesaid it's about what's between the ears more than ability.  They should all be able to take a penalty (off target is unforgiveable) so it's down to bottle.  Sterling, Grealish, Stones could and should have all stepped in ahead of Saka.

Grealish tweeting "I said yes" says moe about him than anything else.

I don't believe Gareth thought they were the best 5 and the best chance was in that particular order.
滚开赖
(07-12-2021, 11:00 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: If Rashford and Sancho hadn't decided to do a spot of morris dancing before their pens, maybe none of this would have mattered.

Big Grin

I had no problem with who took them, any professional player really should be able to get it on target from the spot. It was their stupid run ups that got me, simple as that. If you run up like a knob you damn well better put it on target.

Also I bet there won't be many players saying they didn't want to take them... if Grealish had really wanted to do it then he'd have made it bloody clear and stepped up and said oy boss you're wrong, don't knacker the youth on this.
(07-12-2021, 11:53 AM)Duffers Wrote: So much for that rumour that Pickford was one of the five.

Would have fancied him to score.
Southgate made the decision to put on Rashers and Sancho purely to take penalties, even though neither had more than three touches prior to the penalties. Southgate obviously also planned beforehand for Sako to take one, players would not over rule Southgate at the last minute.

Haters want to find something to throw at Grealish for obvious biased reasons, but the reality is, Southgate set the team up, he decided on penalty takers and the decisions on the subs, we were not good enough, Southgate’s two “clever” penalty subs both missed so it backfired on him.