SJ
I remember meeting Big Cyrille, and how blessed I was to do that, but he wasn’t that big. 6ft tops? Possible 5’11? Admittedly he was older, then.
(07-08-2021, 09:19 PM)DJPunkRoc Wrote: I remember meeting Big Cyrille, and how blessed I was to do that, but he wasn’t that big. 6ft tops? Possible 5’11? Admittedly he was older, then.
Yes, he was a solidly built 5 11 I’d say. Saw him in his heyday drinking at The Duck on the Hagley Rd. certainly a shade under 6ft.
DJPunkRoc Wrote:I remember meeting Big Cyrille, and how blessed I was to do that, but he wasn’t that big. 6ft tops? Possible 5’11? Admittedly he was older, then.
Yes, he was regularly spotted in the Halfords. 5'10" or 5'11". Looked fit as a butchers dog too, unbelievable he went.
I once saw Garry Thompson in Erdington. (In the days you might see a footballer in Erdington!). I was with a villa mate at the time and he couldn't believe how fearsome he looked on the pitch and how average build he was off it.
(07-09-2021, 07:28 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
DJPunkRoc Wrote:I remember meeting Big Cyrille, and how blessed I was to do that, but he wasn’t that big. 6ft tops? Possible 5’11? Admittedly he was older, then.
Yes, he was regularly spotted in the Halfords. 5'10" or 5'11". Looked fit as a butchers dog too, unbelievable he went.
I once saw Garry Thompson in Erdington. (In the days you might see a footballer in Erdington!). I was with a villa mate at the time and he couldn't believe how fearsome he looked on the pitch and how average build he was off it.

How Neville Southall has outlived Cyrille I will never know.
(07-08-2021, 11:17 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote: The only way Johnstone is starting the next game is if Pickford is injured, and that's the only reason why Johnstone should start the next game.

Not true. A positive covid test would see him out!  Big Grin

In all seriousness I have to eat a bit of humble pie re Pickford as pre tournament I said he would cost us however up until the semi he has been brilliant. He was far from convincing against the Danes though. It really looked like the occasion had got to him in spells and he seemed twitchy.

Hopefully someone will be able to relax him against Italy. As much as I would love to see SJ between the sticks there is no way on earth a manager would bring a keeper in with one cap for a Euro final!