Everton's Alan Irvine moment.
I think its pretty hilarious that Benitez called Everton "a small club" after a game once while he was at 'Pool, then back tracked a short while ago saying he got lost in translation and meant "small club tactics".

Can't imagine this appointment has gone down very well with the diehard toffees.
And I think what the OP poster meant/referring to is a wider WTF moment, rather than any direct comparison to AFI.
(06-29-2021, 10:57 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Everton have really delusions of grandeur… historic club who certainly should have done better in the last couple decades but they’re essentially a midtable club who are destined to hover between 6th and 16th.

Bit like Villa?
If he had been successful with Chelsea or Arsenal it would look like an inspired appointment.
(06-29-2021, 10:58 PM)Duffers Wrote: Why is this an AFI moment?

Benitez is a fantastic manager for a club of Everton’s size.

Be like Villa sacking Dean Smith and us later appointing him...

Don't rule that out, come to think of it!
Who was Blues manager when they won the cup & then went to the Villa. Never stood a chancre & Benitez will struggle for that reason too.
(07-01-2021, 11:59 AM)B36baggie Wrote: Who was Blues manager when they won the cup & then went to the Villa. Never stood a chancre & Benitez will struggle for that reason too.

McLeish.

In fairness to the Villa fans, McLeish was an utterly awful manager, whereas Rafa has a good track record.
(07-01-2021, 11:59 AM)B36baggie Wrote: Who was Blues manager when they won the cup & then went to the Villa. Never stood a chancre & Benitez will struggle for that reason too.

Alex McLeish.
(07-01-2021, 11:45 AM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote:
(06-29-2021, 10:58 PM)Duffers Wrote: Why is this an AFI moment?

Benitez is a fantastic manager for a club of Everton’s size.

Be like Villa sacking Dean Smith and us later appointing him...

Don't rule that out, come to think of it!

I would be ok with that.
Point of the post was surely the intentional timing to distract the fans' discontent. During an England game wasn't it? I don't think anybody is seriously comparing the 2 managers.

Benitez has won it all