After initial WTF I'm actually warming to the idea of Wagner...
Cunningham1979 Wrote:It’s always worth reminding yourself that the VAST majority of Albion fans are neither contributing to this dump nor whining on FB or Twitter. I have spoken to three separately since last night, that all fall into that category 

They all think it is a decent appointment and I tend to agree. I would have preferred Wilder but I understand Lai’s reasoning for blocking that one. 

I wish him well and will be supportive!

If those fans aren't egotistical enough to rant on here, Facebook or Twitter, then their opinions really don't count.  Big Grin
(06-09-2021, 07:59 AM)baggie_ray Wrote:
Cunningham1979 Wrote:It’s always worth reminding yourself that the VAST majority of Albion fans are neither contributing to this dump nor whining on FB or Twitter. I have spoken to three separately since last night, that all fall into that category 

They all think it is a decent appointment and I tend to agree. I would have preferred Wilder but I understand Lai’s reasoning for blocking that one. 

I wish him well and will be supportive!

If those fans aren't egotistical enough to rant on here, Facebook or Twitter, then their opinions really don't count.  Big Grin

Yes, it's like all forms of media. The people who phone Paul Franks up are not typical of supporters of clubs anyhow.

By and large, we have fairly measured fans compared to many of our neighbours and most fans will back him.

I had two Albion mates text me last night- one was puzzled, but he seems to be less bothered about Albion now, since he moved out of the region whilst the other, a real ardent fan said it was a good appointment.

I'm underwhelmed, but I was also with Megson. I hope I'm equally as wrong.
Managerial success is dependent on many factors: the group of players you inherit and finding a winning formula for that group, whether they buy into your style and goals, luck, transfer success. It's why SGM was such a success at the Albion but not at other clubs.

Personally, I think his success depends to a massive extent on our transfer business (identifying the areas that need strengthening and buying the right players) and that includes having access to decent funds. If we buy like in January then the future could be rosy; if like last Summer it won't be.

The one positive is that he has a full summer to get them fit and ready for his style of play whatever that may be.
(06-09-2021, 08:16 AM)clem4england Wrote: Managerial success is dependent on many factors: the group of players you inherit and finding a winning formula for that group, whether they buy into your style and goals, luck, transfer success. It's why SGM was such a success at the Albion but not at other clubs.

Personally, I think his success depends to a massive extent on our transfer business (identifying the areas that need strengthening and buying the right players) and that includes having access to decent funds. If we buy like in January then the future could be rosy; if like last Summer it won't be.

The one positive is that he has a full summer to get them fit and ready for his style of play whatever that may be.

Some good measured comments on here and you've nailed it Clem.

In days of old I'd say 90 percent of a promotion was down to the manager, who had such control. However, professional football clubs at the top end have a much more sophisticated infrastructure now. We've a dossier of thousands of players all over the world and a big team working out potential targets.

Wagner, if he does a half-decent job will get us top 6.
Any managerial appointment comes with an element of risk, even for the top clubs. He wouldn't have been in my top 3 (not sure about Cuzer's 5 though  Smile ), but we've made stranger appointments in the past. I would have gone for Wilder personally, and it's more how it's being reported that he was rejected that's concerning.

Either way, nowt I can do about it, so I'll just continue to support the club as I have for the previous 40 years, and wait for Eine Kapitulation
(06-09-2021, 06:39 AM)clem4england Wrote: His first two seasons at Huddersfield were Manager of the Year stuff; it is what happened after that worries me.

If he gets us up 1st year and keeps us there 2nd year it will not matter as we may have new owners by then who may have a different outlook on things.
'I've Warmed to Wagner', just putting the finishing touches to my new t-shirt!

I actually have warmed to the idea as said elsewhere.
I'm nearly, slowly, gradually warming to the idea of my colonoscopy on Friday but the reality is I will still have someone ramming a long tube up my arse for best part of an hour.
I've never really been outraged at the thought of Wagner, none of the names we were linked with ever really excited me, & anyway there's nothing we can do about it, so no point in me keeping on wailing, we move on.
I have actually found the faux outrage over this hilarious!

He is a manager that was being lauded as a Klopp-esque master tactician at Dortmund & Hudds, and it only went tits up when the model changed at Hudds and their size and financial clout caught up with them and they made poor decisions behind the scenes. Then Wagner made a massive mistake going to Schalke, but many a young ambitious manager have taken on roles that are poisoned chalices. He wont be the last.

He has a reputation as a forward thinking, modern coach who leans heavily on statistics and science and enjoys improving players whilst ensuring they are fit and competitive. He also, having worked in Germany is used to the DoF model.

I am quite pleased with the appointment and I think it shows the club have gone into open minded, even though they had their initial preferred options.