Osaka
i personally cant stand any after match interviews and totally understand why an athlete especially if they have lost not wanting to do them.
Maybe the answer is to separate the interviews from the matches, with players agreeing to a certain amount of media access but removed from the emotional post-match environment.

The interviews would probably be more coherent and measured, even if the questions were still as inane as is often the case at present.
(05-31-2021, 09:15 PM)Ossian Wrote: Maybe the answer is to separate the interviews from the matches, with players agreeing to a certain amount of media access but removed from the emotional post-match environment.

The interviews would probably be more coherent and measured, even if the questions were still as inane as is often the case at present.

Which is the sensible option.
(05-31-2021, 09:15 PM)Ossian Wrote: Maybe the answer is to separate the interviews from the matches, with players agreeing to a certain amount of media access but removed from the emotional post-match environment.

This I agree with... however does this mean it comes with a different sized purse?

After all, although some, don't like watching ore/post match interviews l, some, me included, do. And it is part of the whole sporting experience.
She’s there to play tennis not for her oratory!!!...Interviews meaningless totally?????
If answering a few mundane questions to the press after a match is too much for her, she'd get swallowed alive in the real world.
(05-31-2021, 10:35 PM)pindgill Wrote: She’s there to play tennis not for her oratory!!!...Interviews meaningless totally?????

Try avoiding an interview in The Prem.

She has been told to comply or fuck off. She has taken the latter.
The post-event interview would be better if the interviewee could say what was on their mind without deference to personal and/or event sponsors. How brilliant would it be to hear “I was fucking robbed! If that cunt of an official had done his job properly instead of wanking off, then I’d be the winner..bollocks to the lot of you!”…
(06-01-2021, 12:24 AM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:
(05-31-2021, 10:35 PM)pindgill Wrote: She’s there to play tennis not for her oratory!!!...Interviews meaningless totally?????

Try avoiding an interview in The Prem.

She has been told to comply or fuck off. She has taken the latter.

If only we could.

The amount of shit spouted by the likes of Klopp. 

Spare us!
(05-31-2021, 07:19 PM)hudds Wrote:
(05-31-2021, 06:21 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: In two minds about this. One the one hand, the mental health of athletes has been an afterthought for far too long with the money they make used an excuse to not treat them like human beings.

However, these types of large sporting events are only able to be held in the manner they are because of the funding and revenue brought in by the various media organisations that broadcast them. If athletes can just decide not to do interviews etc that will dry up and so will the prize money and number of tournaments. Also, to enter the tournament - knowing the media responsibilities that come with it - and then kick up a stink comes across a little attention-seeking. In her position I would've probably chosen not to enter (and as world number 2 causing quite a stir) and make it explicitly clear why I was not doing so.

I completely understand and empathise with her not wishing to speak to the media, but the organisers at Roland Garros can't just change the rules on a whim. If she was allowed to opt out, then next week so would everyone.

See, I don't get the proportionality of this.  Punters pay to see the games played, not some post match cliches or waffle.  I'd be happy NOT to listen, frankly.

Hüd'ds is right, as is Squid.