Osaka
Quit the French Open.
Good, the treatment of her has been appalling. A complete lack of flexibility from the organisers.
They were going to kick her out anyway, that’s why she’s quit.
In two minds about this. One the one hand, the mental health of athletes has been an afterthought for far too long with the money they make used an excuse to not treat them like human beings.

However, these types of large sporting events are only able to be held in the manner they are because of the funding and revenue brought in by the various media organisations that broadcast them. If athletes can just decide not to do interviews etc that will dry up and so will the prize money and number of tournaments. Also, to enter the tournament - knowing the media responsibilities that come with it - and then kick up a stink comes across a little attention-seeking. In her position I would've probably chosen not to enter (and as world number 2 causing quite a stir) and make it explicitly clear why I was not doing so.

I completely understand and empathise with her not wishing to speak to the media, but the organisers at Roland Garros can't just change the rules on a whim. If she was allowed to opt out, then next week so would everyone.
(05-31-2021, 06:01 PM)Sliced Wrote: Good, the treatment of her has been appalling. A complete lack of flexibility from the organisers.

Yes.

She should have been allowed to let her tennis do the talking.
(05-31-2021, 06:21 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: In two minds about this. One the one hand, the mental health of athletes has been an afterthought for far too long with the money they make used an excuse to not treat them like human beings.

However, these types of large sporting events are only able to be held in the manner they are because of the funding and revenue brought in by the various media organisations that broadcast them. If athletes can just decide not to do interviews etc that will dry up and so will the prize money and number of tournaments. Also, to enter the tournament - knowing the media responsibilities that come with it - and then kick up a stink comes across a little attention-seeking. In her position I would've probably chosen not to enter (and as world number 2 causing quite a stir) and make it explicitly clear why I was not doing so.

I completely understand and empathise with her not wishing to speak to the media, but the organisers at Roland Garros can't just change the rules on a whim. If she was allowed to opt out, then next week so would everyone.

Good post. If they all refused it would be a huge problem. It is literally the media which brings in the money and makes her a millionaire. There’s very much two sides to all this. And of course, those lower down the rankings can’t afford to just say no to interviews and take the fines.

There’s also a lack of detail on the mental health issues she talks of. Does she mean it’s tough to do an interview and a bit upsetting after a loss? Well I’m afraid that’s just a tough day at work, not a mental health illness. It takes the mick out of those with serious depression and real serious mental health issues. However if she has serious mental health issues then the tournament should have listened and been more flexible, as Slice says.

She’s not got much support from the other players by the sounds of things.
I think the whole concept of mental health is blurred to the point of meaningless. We now have an entire generation who now don't seem to understand the difference between emotional responses to life events and being mentally ill.

So someone can play a competitive sport for hours in front of the eyes of the world and usually a live audience, but cannot handle some questions afterwards. Really?

Meanwhile, for the supposed awareness, life for those with serious mental illness, especially conditions like schizophrenia, is as grim as ever.
(05-31-2021, 06:49 PM)Squid Wrote: I think the whole concept of mental health is blurred to the point of meaningless. We now have an entire generation who now don't seem to understand the difference between emotional responses to life events and being mentally ill.

So someone can play a competitive sport for hours in front of the eyes of the world and usually a live audience, but cannot handle some questions afterwards. Really?

Meanwhile, for the supposed awareness, life for those with serious mental illness, especially conditions like schizophrenia, is as grim as ever.

Very true. We do have a culture of celebs (and the public in some cases) indicating that, as an example, they suffered from anxiety. It becomes apparent that in fact they were anxious about something, a normal emotional response. Those who actually suffer from the mental illness anxiety struggle to get through each day. It’s a horrendous illness. There’s a hell of a difference. 

If Osaka is suffering from a mental illness, she has a valid reason for not wanting to do the interviews. If she simply finds them tough and a bit difficult and hence won’t do them, that actually takes the piss out of real mental health issues, where people struggle to function in day to day life.

And all the players sign up to it, and it’s part of the job they put up with (like we all have difficult parts of our jobs that put a strain on us mentally), and most of her colleagues have said this. Only Osaka really knows whether this is about a real mental health issue, or her just not wanting to do something that she finds a bit difficult.
(05-31-2021, 06:21 PM)ChamonixBaggie Wrote: In two minds about this. One the one hand, the mental health of athletes has been an afterthought for far too long with the money they make used an excuse to not treat them like human beings.

See, I don't get the proportionality of this.  Punters pay to see the games played, not some post match cliches or waffle.  I'd be happy NOT to listen, frankly.
Some of the best sports people I've competed against / with could barely string a sentence together.

The French Open is now weaker without Osaka.