Short Termism thinking
(02-01-2019, 09:00 AM)sickParrot Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 08:46 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: I do hope - with one eye looking to the future - that Harper, Field and Leko/Edwards are not totally frozen out of first team championship games.

This is the only down side to the business we have done. If they dont get a chance in the Championship, it will be even harder to break through should we go up.

We have a lot of games coming up even without injuries, we will need to rotate, especially Barry/Brunt.

I would like to see Harper and Field prioritised over the likes of Morrison, Brunt and Hoolihan to be honest.

Obviously form dictates this, if they are not playing well enough that shouldn't happen and there will be occasions when sticking a more attacking option in the midfield will be appropriate. But generally Harper and Field represent the future and they have shown enough so far to show more faith in them.
(02-01-2019, 08:46 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote: I do hope - with one eye looking to the future - that Harper, Field and Leko/Edwards are not totally frozen out of first team championship games.

This is the only down side to the business we have done. If they dont get a chance in the Championship, it will be even harder to break through should we go up.

We have a lot of games coming up even without injuries, we will need to rotate, especially Barry/Brunt.

Another way to look at it is that Harper has the shirt now and it’s up to him to make sure he keeps it.
(02-01-2019, 09:05 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:

I would like to see Harper and Field prioritised over the likes of Morrison, Brunt and Hoolihan to be honest.

Obviously form dictates this, if they are not playing well enough that shouldn't happen and there will be occasions when sticking a more attacking option in the midfield will be appropriate. But generally Harper and Field represent the future and they have shown enough so far to show more faith in them.

Their experience will be crucial from now on.
One plus is we get to understand if they are worthy of joining us on a permanent basis. With some of our elders becoming bit players as the season goes on, our youngsters will still get chances. When/if the loans go the Fields and Harpers should slot straight on in. If only football was so easy.
(02-01-2019, 07:54 AM)Loanee Wrote: 6 loan players in the squad - all will need replacing in the summer (whatever division we are in....just to stand still.

I rate all the players we’ve brought in & they will improve the squad (& I fully expect us to finish top 4 now)

.....but it is hard to understand what the clubs long term strategy is now - we didn’t spend big in the Prem, we’re not financially crippled, so why can’t we find the right balance? Go up & I doubt we’ll compete as we’ll have to replace more than half the squad, stay down & it’ll be more loans

....but perhaps that’s football nowadays?

I would think some of the loans will be converted to perms if we go up. 

Gayle, Johansen , Holgate and Murphy possibly.
(02-01-2019, 09:05 AM)Duffers Wrote:

Another way to look at it is that Harper has the shirt now and it’s up to him to make sure he keeps it.

Hopefully, a big part of me wouldn't be unhappy missing out on top 2 if it meant blooding the yoof. 

A bigger squad will help with all the games coming up and hopefully also mean that Morro has options when he needs to make a sub, he has been reluctant of late to make changes.
(02-01-2019, 10:28 AM)Hopalong Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 07:54 AM)Loanee Wrote: 6 loan players in the squad - all will need replacing in the summer (whatever division we are in....just to stand still.

I rate all the players we’ve brought in & they will improve the squad (& I fully expect us to finish top 4 now)

.....but it is hard to understand what the clubs long term strategy is now - we didn’t spend big in the Prem, we’re not financially crippled, so why can’t we find the right balance? Go up & I doubt we’ll compete as we’ll have to replace more than half the squad, stay down & it’ll be more loans

Those 4 would cost in the region of £60m. Can't see us forking out that kind of dough but you never know.
(02-01-2019, 10:32 AM)Peachy Wrote:

Those 4 would cost in the region of £60m. Can't see us forking out that kind of dough but you never know.

do we even have an option to sign them at the end of the season?

Gayle can be negotiated with Rondon - £0
Johansen - out of contract at Fulham - Free
Holgate - £7 to 10mill
Murphy- Depends on his spell with us. Toon payed £14M for him 2 years ago.
(02-01-2019, 11:42 AM)Dumbo Wrote:

Gayle can be negotiated with Rondon - £0
Johansen - out of contract at Fulham - Free
Holgate - £7 to 10mill
Murphy- Depends on his spell with us. Toon payed £14M for him 2 years ago.

I like those figures.

I also think there's a difference between a loan with potential to become permanent and the likes of Krychowiak, who even he had been decent, we could never afford.