Short Termism thinking
6 loan players in the squad - all will need replacing in the summer (whatever division we are in....just to stand still.

I rate all the players we’ve brought in & they will improve the squad (& I fully expect us to finish top 4 now)

.....but it is hard to understand what the clubs long term strategy is now - we didn’t spend big in the Prem, we’re not financially crippled, so why can’t we find the right balance? Go up & I doubt we’ll compete as we’ll have to replace more than half the squad, stay down & it’ll be more loans

....but perhaps that’s football nowadays?
(02-01-2019, 07:54 AM)Loanee Wrote: 6 loan players in the squad - all will need replacing in the summer (whatever division we are in....just to stand still.

I rate all the players we’ve brought in & they will improve the squad (& I fully expect us to finish top 4 now)

.....but it is hard to understand what the clubs long term strategy is now - we didn’t spend big in the Prem, we’re not financially crippled, so why can’t we find the right balance? Go up & I doubt we’ll compete as we’ll have to replace Moreno Han he all the end squad, stay down & it’ll be more loans

....but perhaps that’s football nowadays?

The simple answer is we have very little cash at the moment, and Lei won't invest more.

This is our best chance to get over the line and back up, and doubtless we will then reassess in the summer.

Whilst we have one more decent parachute year left, I think this is our best chance to go back. If we don't go back, I exepect a major re-build in the summer with a lot more signings who have "potential". but take a year or two to fully flourish.
It’s easier to develop a long term strategy when you’re in the PL rather than when you’re trying to get there. Those three players would have cost £20m+ had we tried to sign them permanently, then had we not gone up we’d have been saddled with them. This is us making a push for promotion but still staying within our means.

Football in general has become a short term concern, it’s not just us.
I think we have planned correctly, not taking a massive risk and chuck loads of money to try and get promotion. You only have to look at Seal Park to see this. Makes financial sense. I would rather have a few loans than somebody on massive wages we cant shift if we don't go up
I understand this thinking in terms of getting up to this point, but right now our goal is to get promotion and there's a possibility of this happening. Being at a point where at the end of the season we will be in one of two very different positions a) it doesn't make sense to bring in permanents now as we could be a more attractive proposal at the end of the season if we were to get promotion, b) the market is inflated in January and we could find ourselves trying to sell those same players at the end of the season due to what would become a worse financial situation and less money from parachute payments next year and c) realistically we're not going to get the quality of player that we did yesterday on permanents without paying large amounts of cash.

It shouldn't have gotten to this point, but IMO this window was exactly what we needed (theoretically) as going back up becomes a lot more difficult next year either way.
I think not knowing which division you are in next year makes it very difficult to take a long term view.
If you commit to buying those players it’s easy to get into the mess that Villa have.
I agree it gives you a much bigger task in the summer if we do go up but, such is the disparity in incomes between the two divisions, it’s hard to see any other way around it other than loans.

And don’t forget players who come in on loan might be happy to commit to 4 months in the championship, they might not be anywhere near as keen if it was a permanent deal.
If they are a success (promotion) can’t we look to buy them in the summer?
Some good points being made, generally agree with what is being said....post updated to correct some weird auto correct words!!!
It makes sense for the reasons outlined above. I'd like more permanent signings, but it isn't that simple. And anyway, whose to say all of these will need to be replaced? We could well sign most of them if we went up (or even if we stay down).
(02-01-2019, 07:59 AM)Duffers Wrote: It’s easier to develop a long term strategy when you’re in the PL rather than when you’re trying to get there. Those three players would have cost £20m+ had we tried to sign them permanently, then had we not gone up we’d have been saddled with them. This is us making a push for promotion but still staying within our means.

Football in general has become a short term concern, it’s not just us.

Spot on there mon