Peter Barnes
(04-23-2021, 09:37 AM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 07:20 AM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 07:11 AM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 06:46 AM)Solihull Throstle Wrote: I've always thought he was greatly underrated by Baggies fans.
As already mentioned, unplayable on his day.
Very much suffered from following in from Willie and Laurie.
I seem to recall him take Ipswich apart during Villa's championship season....or is my memory playing tricks on me?

No. You are right. He also tore Spurs apart as I recall that season. He often kept Laurie out of the England side. Frustrated me though. Utterly brilliant one game. Then anonymous the next couple. As you say though, underrated by Albion fans though. Younger fans rave about Koumas but he was equally inconsistent. Similar in terms that they both had outstanding ability.

Think Barnes best performance was v Grimsby in the cup, 3rd round, start of 81. We won 3-0 and he absolutely ran the game.

He lost his way quite early on, and we did well to get a lot of money off Leeds. I recall him rocking up for Hull about 1987 when we'd gone down. He had the talent to win 50 England caps.

I remember that cup game vs Grimsby in 81. Barry Cowdrill scored a rare goal that day. Think Barnes and Bryan Robson got the others?

Yep well recalled. Cowdrill's goal was into an unguarded net from about 40 yards. Weird how when you'er a kid these games stick with you. Now you could show me highlights from a game I went to 10 years ago and I'd have forgot everything about it.
(04-23-2021, 06:08 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: Unplayable on his day.

He's a football bloke through and through and had taken on his dad's overseas training ventures not so long ago. Great company too, is Peter.

Should be a good read, I'm in.
Be sure to leave your email address with the order and Gary will contact you for the dedication just before they send it.
He did have talent, but wasn't a team player. Very inconsistent. As has been said previously, we mugged Leeds for him.
(04-23-2021, 06:39 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 06:08 AM)baggiebloke Wrote: Unplayable on his day.

He's a football bloke through and through and had taken on his dad's overseas training ventures not so long ago. Great company too, is Peter.

Should be a good read, I'm in.
Be sure to leave your email address with the order and Gary will contact you for the dedication just before they send it.

Cheers.

I did wonder, as the order process is just to pay.
Agree with Sol, suffered at Albion because he followed  Johnston and Cunningham,  in a side that was less entertaining than previous Albion sides.

That said it is still a mystery that he got so many more caps than Cunningham.
Cunninghams career seriously curtailed by injury. By the time he was 24-25 he wasn’t the same bloke as we saw in those couple of years. Without those injuries he would’ve had the career John Barnes had.