Dwight Gayle
(03-30-2021, 08:18 PM)Super_Slav Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 06:49 PM)Hopalong Wrote: I would back Grant over Gayle now, I reckon Gayle is pretty much finished.  Grant is nearly 8 years younger and has a better scoring ratio than Gayle in the Prem over the last two seasons.  

Grant will come good.  If he scored 19 for Hudds in the Chump who were shite,  logic says he will do better in a team fighting for promotion, if selected.  

We'll see.

I’ve been disappointed with Grant Hoppy. Esp when he was playing as a “9”.

I expected more from him. Way behind Watkins in terms of technique and ability.

Obviously.

Watkins cost double what Grant did.
Grant was a terrible signing. I hope to be proven wrong and he goes on to be great for us, I just don't see it from what i've seen of him. Will never understand why Bilic wanted him so much.
(03-31-2021, 09:39 AM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Grant was a terrible signing. I hope to be proven wrong and he goes on to be great for us, I just don't see it from what i've seen of him. Will never understand why Bilic wanted him so much.

I’m hoping he’ll go down the Diomancy Kamara route of being useless in the PL but suddenly sparking into life in the Champ.
It's fun to slag off Grant but the reality is he's a wide player that was asked to be played as a lone frontman in a PL team that hardly attack. Bilic must be the only person shocked by the fact that he hasn't had an impact in the PL.

He'll tear up the Championship, as he did before in a much weaker team.
(03-31-2021, 09:42 AM)Duffers Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 09:39 AM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Grant was a terrible signing. I hope to be proven wrong and he goes on to be great for us, I just don't see it from what i've seen of him. Will never understand why Bilic wanted him so much.

I’m hoping he’ll go down the Diomancy Kamara route of being useless in the PL but suddenly sparking into life in the Champ.

Kamara and Phillips in the Chump was some strike force. Didn’t they get 20+ each. Travesty that team never went up.

I’d argue it was better than Mowbrays Champions a year later.
(03-31-2021, 10:36 AM)Dumbo Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 09:42 AM)Duffers Wrote:

Kamara and Phillips in the Chump was some strike force. Didn’t they get 20+ each. Travesty that team never went up.

I’d argue it was better than Mowbrays Champions a year later.

There was a lot of natural talent in that side, Curtis, Phillips, Kamara, Gera, Koumas.... however the attitude, mentality and hunger wasn't there. 

The title winning side of a year later was a far better team but contained fewer talented individuals.

Baldy and Mowbray did brilliant work getting nearly £25m for ageing, egotistical players that summer and replacing them with a promotion winning side for half that spend and bringing in the likes of Morrison and Brunt.

Disappointed Slusarski, Tininho and Michael Danek were used so sparingly Wink
Sherjill MacDonald is still knocking about somewhere. I remember when we loaned him out to Hereford and he became a goal machine. Thought we might have had a player there.

Also I thought Craig Beattie was going to be class after seeing him score a hat trick pre season.
(03-31-2021, 07:40 AM)Crossbar11 Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 06:49 PM)Hopalong Wrote: I would back Grant over Gayle now, I reckon Gayle is pretty much finished.  Grant is nearly 8 years younger and has a better scoring ratio than Gayle in the Prem over the last two seasons.  

Grant willu come good.  If he scored 19 for Hudds in the Chump who were shite,  logic says he will do better in a team fighting for promotion, if selected.  

We'll see.
Grant's going to be a issue , not a winger ....not a lone firward so we'll have to fit a system pretty much round him. Just to top it off its a 6 year deal , he's not in the sane class as Gayle mate . Never in a million years  .

Whoever signed-off a 6 year deal for a player untested at the level we hope to compete at needs to be sacked.
As much as we love slagging off our own, Grant is 23. At 23 Gayle was playing for Bishop Stortford in the Southern Conference.

Grant isn't the finished article, but his record so far shows he has the potential to be a great asset.
(04-01-2021, 12:20 PM)Sliced Wrote: As much as we love slagging off our own, Grant is 23. At 23 Gayle was playing for Bishop Stortford in the Southern Conference.

Grant isn't the finished article, but his record so far shows he has the potential to be a great asset.

Well he has the security of a long contract to improve.